Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690 Rog Strix G Gaming
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you for the suggestions!

I am running BIOS version 0074, Clover 5098 with your EFINUC8 files inside the Clover EFI directory. The Interface is USB 2.0

I did Rehabs Github installation and moved all the kexts it installed from Library to the Clover EFI directory (replacing your kexts).

I created new DSDT patches with Rehabs make command (make install_nuc8bc) and replaced your SSDT-NUC8-BC.aml with the newly created one. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the connection issue, there is no change in behavior.

Basically whenever I want to use the audio interface I have to boot Mojave, log out and log back in again. (Hot-plug does not work, whenever it was unplugged i need to log out and log in again)

I'm not sure how to solve it.

Thank you again!
Have a nice weekend.
Wish I could help...I don't have an Apogee One so it's impossible for me to test anything. I assume you have the drivers installed and checked their website for suggestions.

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Wish I could help...I don't have an Apogee One so it's impossible for me to test anything. I assume you have the drivers installed and checked their website for suggestions.

No worries. It is not too bad, since I can get it to work "reliably" with logout/login.
That makes it work fine until the next restart/unplugging interface.

Firmware and software is the latest already.

The weird thing is whenever the audio stops working the interface still shows up in the sound settings and the volume settings in the top bar, only the audio is gone.

Maybe I can find a solution a some point.

Thanks!

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
No worries. It is not too bad, since I can get it to work "reliably" with logout/login.
That makes it work fine until the next restart/unplugging interface.

Firmware and software is the latest already.

The weird thing is whenever the audio stops working the interface still shows up in the sound settings and the volume settings in the top bar, only the audio is gone.

Maybe I can find a solution a some point.

Thanks!
I hope you do, there might be answers somewhere else if you search for Apogee and Hackintosh. It doesn't seem to be an NUC hardware issue being your USB ports work but its tough to say for sure.

Motherboard
NUC8i7BEH
CPU
Intel i7 8559U
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus 655
So I installed the cable for native BT and it allthoug it works, it's very unstable:
- often during boot when apple logo shows it reboots and then 2nd or 3rd boot it boots fine..
- when coming out of sleep it says BT not available, allthough some BT devices still (partially) works (eg. mouse works, but scrolling not..)

I'm about to reinstall macos and prepared a new bootable catelina usb and replaced the efi with mine but clover doesn't show the usb drive as install option, only my already installed macos... any idea why?? This has worked 100s of times for me!! No idea why it all of a sudden stopped working.. (I can select the usb drive in the uefi boot menu..)

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I installed the cable for native BT and it allthoug it works, it's very unstable:
- often during boot when apple logo shows it reboots and then 2nd or 3rd boot it boots fine..
- when coming out of sleep it says BT not available, allthough some BT devices still (partially) works (eg. mouse works, but scrolling not..)

I'm about to reinstall macos and prepared a new bootable catelina usb and replaced the efi with mine but clover doesn't show the usb drive as install option, only my already installed macos... any idea why?? This has worked 100s of times for me!! No idea why it all of a sudden stopped working.. (I can select the usb drive in the uefi boot menu..)

I haven't tried installing Catalina directly from a USB drive yet, I used software update which is still the recommended procedure on this website. I think you may need to install Mojave first and then update to Catalina as much of a pain that is.

Also no guarantee that is going to fix your bluetooth setup, my first guess would be to say it won't, unless you've changed Apple bluetooth system files.

From the Install guide for OS X 15.1

Guide: Update Directly to macOS Catalina

1. Update your existing Clover install to version r4910 or higher using MultiBeast or official Clover package.

2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.

3. Download Install macOS Catalina Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.

4. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

5. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating.

6. Complete the installation process- the computer will automatically reboot a few times.

7. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS option (Example: Boot macOS from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.

Let us know how this guide works for you! Please post all help requests in Catalina Desktop Support and Catalina Laptop Support forum sections. Thanks and good luck!

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Regarding the internal bluetooth issue (firmware has to be first downloaded to the adapter by Windows/Linux), I just stumbled upon this: https://github.com/wulf7/iwmbt-firmware.
It is stated that "it looks trivial to make some newer models e.g. PIDs 0x8087/0x0025, 0x8087/0x0026, 0x8087/0x0029 and 0x8087/0x0aaa working" and "Mac OS X and NetBSD should work after minor tweaking".
Now all we need is someone with the experience and time to give it a try...
You know you can load either OS to an external USB drive and then try this yourself.

Motherboard
NUC8i7BEH
CPU
Intel i7 8559U
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus 655
I haven't tried installing Catalina directly from a USB drive yet, I used software update which is still the recommended procedure on this website. I think you may need to install Mojave first and then update to Catalina as much of a pain that is.

Also no guarantee that is going to fix your bluetooth setup, my first guess would be to say it won't, unless you've changed Apple bluetooth system files.

From the Install guide for OS X 15.1

Guide: Update Directly to macOS Catalina

1. Update your existing Clover install to version r4910 or higher using MultiBeast or official Clover package.

2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.

3. Download Install macOS Catalina Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.

4. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

5. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating.

6. Complete the installation process- the computer will automatically reboot a few times.

7. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS option (Example: Boot macOS from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.

Let us know how this guide works for you! Please post all help requests in Catalina Desktop Support and Catalina Laptop Support forum sections. Thanks and good luck!
Actually the usb I had was still mojave, same issue (while I used that many times before). Everytime I change my efi I also do it on the usb (after I confirm it boots fine).

But since it didnt work anymore I decided to make a catelina installer with my efi. I zlso believe @spotty was able to install catelina directly from usb if my memory serves me right.

I believe it has something to do with the acpi folder you uploaded to enable the internal usb headers (that is the most recent change I did), but I dint have your original one anymore. Would you be so kind to upload it? :)

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Actually the usb I had was still mojave, same issue (while I used that many times before). Everytime I change my efi I also do it on the usb (after I confirm it boots fine).

But since it didnt work anymore I decided to make a catelina installer with my efi. I zlso believe @spotty was able to install catelina directly from usb if my memory serves me right.

I believe it has something to do with the acpi folder you uploaded to enable the internal usb headers (that is the most recent change I did), but I dint have your original one anymore. Would you be so kind to upload it? :)
Its still in this thread here

Motherboard
NUC8i7BEH
CPU
Intel i7 8559U
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus 655
Its still in this thread here

Thanks, I replaced the ACPI folder but didn't work.. I'm now going to replace the whole EFI.

Fyi: post #1582 spottsy mentioned he clean installed Catelina directly from usb.

Edit: with your efi + patched acpi + some personal tweaks to clover.plist it’s now installing catelina directly from usb. And more importantly: bluetooth peripherals (apple mouse/keyboard/trackpad) work oob during the installation! Fingers crossed..

Last edited:

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks, I replaced the ACPI folder but didn't work.. I'm now going to replace the whole EFI.

Fyi: post #1582 spottsy mentioned he clean installed Catelina directly from usb.

Edit: with your efi + patched acpi + some personal tweaks to clover.plist it’s now installing catelina directly from usb. And more importantly: bluetooth peripherals (apple mouse/keyboard/trackpad) work oob during the installation! Fingers crossed..
Yes he does. Good luck. Wonder what happened to him?