Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Motherboard
asus
CPU
Intel Core i7 8550U
Graphics
nVidia GeForce MX 150
Hi everyone... I’ve install Mojave few months ago and now I’d like to upgrade to Catalina, can you please tell me the number of the threads where I can find the step? Also because I don’t find the number of thread I’ve used to copy the efi file...where is post 901???. thanks in advance

Motherboard
Intel nuc
CPU
I7
Hi everyone... I’ve install Mojave few months ago and now I’d like to upgrade to Catalina, can you please tell me the number of the threads where I can find the step? Also because I don’t find the number of thread I’ve used to copy the efi file...where is post 901???. thanks in advance
You should be able to upgrade to Catalina directly without issue. Post #894 is what your looking for if your using an 8th gen Nuc on page 90 I believe?

Motherboard
asus
CPU
Intel Core i7 8550U
Graphics
nVidia GeForce MX 150
You should be able to upgrade to Catalina directly without issue. Post #894 is what your looking for if your using an 8th gen Nuc on page 90 I believe?
So can I upgrade like a “normal” Mac? Just downloading the os from the App Store?
and yes for the efi folder :) thank you

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i5BEH
CPU
i5-8259U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Motherboard
asus
CPU
Intel Core i7 8550U
Graphics
nVidia GeForce MX 150
Motherboard
INTEL NUC8i7BEH - Bios 74
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
Mac mini
HDMI Firmware Update Tool for NUC8 to fix problems listed below
Update link:
IMPORTANT: READ ENTIRE PDF BEFORE UPGRADING.
Untick box "program customised data block" before updating.

Someone had flickering Monitor when playing videos. This is specific to HDMI to DVI but might fix other problems. It says this firmware upgrade is to fix that and more. Notes below:

• Your Samsung 6000* series television doesn't display video when connected to your Intel® NUC.
  • Some surround sound formats don't work when using your Intel NUC with an AV (Audio/Video) receiver.
  • Head-mounted display doesn’t wake up from sleep (S3) when using Windows* Mixed Reality.
  • Flickering display when using an HDMI-to-DVI adapter.
  • A blurry or distorted display.
Update has to be run on Windows 10. Update instructions below:
IMPORTANT: Read and follow this GUIDE pdf file:

1. Connect a HDMI monitor to the HDMI Port.
2. Turn on the Intel NUC.
3. In Windows File Explorer, navigate to the folder where you unzipped the download.
4. Right-click the file BobcatAuxISPTool.exe and select, Run as administrator to launch the
update tool.
5. Click Get FW Version to display the current firmware version.

IMPORTANT: Read all pages of PDF document before upgrading firmware. Untick box "program customised data block" before updating.

I updated mine had no trouble. If you made a mistake and didn't untick the box and you wiped the custom data block. Just run the firmware upgrade again and untick "program customised data block" and it will fix the wipe you did.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
Mac mini
Currently on latest EFI folder from #901 (Updated EFI with Clover Version 5097, Catalina Ready 10/28/19)
Tried changing my SMBIOS to MacBookPro15,2, like @sridhar did. Didn't make much difference. Set my serial numbers too.
Narrowed down my problem. Screen starts flickering/turning off at specific segments of video files (say file XYZ.mkv at 30:34 creates a flicker each time).
-Encoding/container doesn't seem to matter - just specific times of specific files.
-Which video player is used doesn't matter.
-Changing Video Output Module in VLC doesn't make a difference.
-Enabling all the logging in VLC - nothing is logged specifically at the time of flickers.
@dmt0 here is a HDMI firmware update that MIGHT fix your flickering video. Look at my post on it.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
Mac mini
As far as I know I don’t have any other kext for sd card reader..
Question though: in the system tray, is yours also identified as “unknown card”?
Yes it is "unknown card" I did some more searching. It seems the Realtek card in our NUC is old and was put in laptops around 2016 onwards. I guess that is why the driver is 3 years old.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
Mac mini
Hi, anybody tried play DRM content on Apple TV app with success? I tried adding shikigva=1/57/60 and change SMBIOS to iMacPro with no success.
I'm guessing it won't play due to our hackingtosh's not playing any DRM content in safari. So I could not get Netflix or Prime Video from Amazon working in Safari. I could only get them playing on Chrome at 720p.
I'm guessing Apple TV in Catalina also does checks for DRM content and fails like in safari.

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
CPU
i3 8109-U
Graphics
Iris Pro 655
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Anyone tried OpenCore? They mention faster boot compared to clover.
Maybe they maintain Lilu.kext in future for playable DRM on intel GPU.
OpenCore link