Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Motherboard
INTEL NUC8i7BEH - Bios 74
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
Mac mini
Mac user here for 6 years or so, before that lifetime of windows (since dos).

The tools I always install are:
- homebrew: package manager. I install all my apps with it (brew cask install ....)
- spectacle: window management with shortcuts (full screen, snap to left/right/top/bottom,..)
- vanilla: cleanup my systray
- lastpass: password manager (came from 1password, which is better, but I hate their subscription model)
Also missed this post HedgeHog2k. I keep seeing homebrew in lists in youtube and in guides. Vanilla too was in lots of lists so I'll give it a go. I'm just using google's passwords at the moment. I tried lastpass but you had to get the paid version and I wasn't too sure. Thanks for the suggestions I'll give them all a go.

I think the best thing I have purchased software wise is carbon copy cloner 5 and the use of snapshots. Can go back to any point in time pre and post patch etc.

Snapshots came in with APFS formatting and High Sierra. I just found a guide on how to create, manage and use APFS snapshots WITHOUT Carbon Copy Cloner which I am about to read. It is also tied into to time machine. I'm about to read it but it looks good if you want a way to go back to a point in time if a patch broke something and you want to reverse it.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
Mac mini
For NUC7, I nevertheless advised to refer to post #1,632
Hi @Sevift can you clarify something for those that have a NUC7. @Leesureone and I only have Nuc7 but I have been pointing the NUC7 to Benmiller's post which we thought was your EFI folder.

The link you put in in your post was corrupt but I found the post here:

So this EFI works for both Mojave and Catalina? I have changed my guide to your post #1632 now and you are thanked.

If your EFI gets important changes post it in that same link above and I'll keep pointing all Nuc7's to it.

I realise after a few months on here I see the same questions over and over that I asked at the start and how excited I was to get my first Hackintosh working. So to save me time I put all the info in one post. It needs a bit of tidying but for now it works.

THIS POST HAS INFO ON NUC7 AND NUC8 INSTALL. It works for both Mojave and Catalina and has links to working EFI folders for both as well. Also a simple guide on making a clean install USB too plus info on serial number change too.

See GUIDE here:

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
Mac mini
Added this kext to my Other folder and it seem to do something. If I insert a sd card macos recognizes the card but says it cannot read it. So if I format it in some of the filesystem types it works, but it cannot mount the drive. See
I haven't had any problems with my microSD @Leesureone linked it to me a couple of months ago. I use for GoPro footage mainly. I took a look and it is is formatted MBR fat32 like a usb is formatted so maybe that is why it works reliably. See screenshot of partition details. I'll see if there is an updated kext anywhere too. Let me know if you find an up to date one that works with HFS+ formatting. I'll try HFS+ in a bit to see if it makes a difference I have a second card laying around.

YOU SEEM TO HAVE TWO COPIES OF THE DEVICE: Do you have another kext competing for the same microSD card. Anyway here is my PCI driver info.

Note Chinese_spy's screenshot of driver matches mine which also might be a hit to why it is not working for you?
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/screenshot-2019-09-15-at-09-15-16-png.425937/

CHIPSET DETAILS: Realtek RTS522A PCI-E Card Reader I did some searching but could not find any updated kext other than the one I listed sorry. Tell me if you find a newer driver.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
NUC8i7BEH
CPU
Intel i7 8559U
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus 655
I haven't had any problems with my microSD @Leesureone linked it to me a couple of months ago. I use for GoPro footage mainly. I took a look and it is is formatted MBR fat32 like a usb is formatted so maybe that is why it works reliably. See screenshot of partition details. I'll see if there is an updated kext anywhere too. Let me know if you find an up to date one that works with HFS+ formatting. I'll try HFS+ in a bit to see if it makes a difference I have a second card laying around.

YOU SEEM TO HAVE TWO COPIES OF THE DEVICE: Do you have another kext competing for the same microSD card. Anyway here is my PCI driver info.

Note Chinese_spy's screenshot of driver matches mine which also might be a hit to why it is not working for you?
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/screenshot-2019-09-15-at-09-15-16-png.425937/

CHIPSET DETAILS: Realtek RTS522A PCI-E Card Reader I did some searching but could not find any updated kext other than the one I listed sorry. Tell me if you find a newer driver.
As far as I know I don’t have any other kext for sd card reader..
Question though: in the system tray, is yours also identified as “unknown card”?

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
CPU
i3 8109-U
Graphics
Iris Pro 655
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi, anybody tried play DRM content on Apple TV app with success? I tried adding shikigva=1/57/60 and change SMBIOS to iMacPro with no success.

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
CPU
i3 8109-U
Graphics
Iris Pro 655
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hey Guys so after some experiments I managed to make it all work.
Dual Boot (Windows 10 & Mojave 10.14.6)

I have the NUC8i5BEH
CPU: Intel i5-8259U
RAM: Crucial CT16G4SFD832A 16 GB DDR4, 3200 MHZ, PC4-25600, CL22, Dual Rank x8, SODIMM, 260-Pin
they work at 2400 MHZ as that is the maximum supported by the NUC.
GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB
Storage: - NVme Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256 GB (Windows 10)
- LITEONIT SSD SATA 256GB (Mojave 10.14.6)

Has been installed with Bios version 73 (latest)
Clover version 5045

Working Tested:

- Wifi Asus USB-AC68
- Built-in Bluetooth is working
- M.2 2280 for SSD
- SATA for SSD
- DP/HDMI (video/audio)
- UEFI booting via Clover
- 4x USB3 ports (2x back, 2x front)
- native USB3.1/USB3/USB2
- Ethernet (works with IntelMausiEthernet.kext)
- Analog native Audio working (IN/OUT)
- Built-in Microphone is working
- USB-Type C working
- Mac App Store is working
- Restart & Shutdown is working
- Thunderbolt 3 (BIOS TB Legacy Mode)

Not Working:
- on-board Wifi

Bios Settings all i did is enable Legacy Boot the rest you can leave it on Default.

Bellow you have the EFI just replace your EFI folder on your EFI partition and boot.

Hope it helps,
How did you manage to get built in bluetooth to working? Which kext did you used?

Motherboard
asus
CPU
Intel Core i7 8550U
Graphics
nVidia GeForce MX 150
Hi everyone... I’ve install Mojave few months ago and now I’d like to upgrade to Catalina, can you please tell me the number of the threads where I can find the step? Also because I don’t find the number of thread I’ve used to copy the efi file...where is post 901???. thanks in advance

Motherboard
Intel nuc
CPU
I7
Hi everyone... I’ve install Mojave few months ago and now I’d like to upgrade to Catalina, can you please tell me the number of the threads where I can find the step? Also because I don’t find the number of thread I’ve used to copy the efi file...where is post 901???. thanks in advance
You should be able to upgrade to Catalina directly without issue. Post #894 is what your looking for if your using an 8th gen Nuc on page 90 I believe?

Motherboard
asus
CPU
Intel Core i7 8550U
Graphics
nVidia GeForce MX 150
You should be able to upgrade to Catalina directly without issue. Post #894 is what your looking for if your using an 8th gen Nuc on page 90 I believe?
So can I upgrade like a “normal” Mac? Just downloading the os from the App Store?
and yes for the efi folder :) thank you