Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
After a couple of days of playing around, I found two issues with my current setup:

Issue 1) As reported (and fixed above) crackling audio. I understand that I need to move all kexts except FakeSMC.kext to the Library/Extension folder and rebuilt caches.
A couple of questions on this:
- Can you confirm that my EFI/Clover/kext/other will afterwards contain only 1 single kext ?
- Can you confirm that this L/E folder is the one on my root partition, so NOT on the EFI partition ?
- How do I rebuild caches ? When should I do this ? Prior or after reboot ?
- @bahns: How and where do I set the sound chipset injection ID = 28 ?

Issue 2) My display does not work after waking from sleep.
I attached the problem reporting files, could somebody shed some light on this problem ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
One kext left in clover/ other. Library/Extensions is a hidden folder in the main partition, not the EFI partition. See post 1008 for how to unhide it as well as how to rebuild the kextcache although if you use kextbeast to install it won't be necessary. Kextbeast can be downloaded from this site and instructions are posted on the download page. Rebuilding the kextcache is always done after removing a kext and or installing new ones. The device ID is in your config.plist and there are various ways to edit that hopefully you are familiar with

Display issues can be tricky and I'm on my phone so unable to see the uploaded debug contents. Sometimes unplugging the display cable is needed and or power cycling it can do the trick. On my Aorus machine I sometimes have to hit the display options button on my LG monitor after sleep to wake it up.

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
One kext left in clover/ other. Library/Extensions is a hidden folder in the main partition, not the EFI partition. See post 1008 for how to unhide it as well as how to rebuild the kextcache although if you use kextbeast to install it won't be necessary. Kextbeast can be downloaded from this site and instructions are posted on the download page. Rebuilding the kextcache is always done after removing a kext and or installing new ones. The device ID is in your config.plist and there are various ways to edit that hopefully you are familiar with

Display issues can be tricky and I'm on my phone so unable to see the uploaded debug contents. Sometimes unplugging the display cable is needed and or power cycling it can do the trick. On my Aorus machine I sometimes have to hit the display options button on my LG monitor after sleep to wake it up.
Hi,

Thanks for your insane quick response :)

- I will read on how to install the kexts and rebuild the cache, thanks for the reference !
- I know how to update the config.plist, so will do that, tx !
- I found in some other topic that problems with returning from sleep might be related to the fact that "Power Nap" was still enabled. Disabled it now, and will report back on whether or not this solves my issues.

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
I confirm that installing all Kexts to L/E (using Kextbeast) and rebuilding kext cache works for me as well !

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
I also confirm that disabling "Power Nap" fixed my issues with returning from sleep

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Hi Leesureone.
The problem with the black screen after sleep is not fully resolved. It does not happen all the time, but about half of the time. Unplugging the display cable does not do the trick. Only a hard power reset works.
Is there anything you can see from the problem reporting files that I uploaded ? Any other ideas on how to further investigate, debug this ?

Regards,

Filip

Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
Hi Leesureone.
The problem with the black screen after sleep is not fully resolved. It does not happen all the time, but about half of the time. Unplugging the display cable does not do the trick. Only a hard power reset works.
Is there anything you can see from the problem reporting files that I uploaded ? Any other ideas on how to further investigate, debug this ?

Regards,

Filip
I’m about 3000 miles from home until end of next week and without a Mac. Unfortunately I never did get a chance to check out your uploaded problem files and when you reported disabling power nap helped I figured you were good. Happy to take a look but it will be a week or so.

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
I’m about 3000 miles from home until end of next week and without a Mac. Unfortunately I never did get a chance to check out your uploaded problem files and when you reported disabling power nap helped I figured you were good. Happy to take a look but it will be a week or so.
Tx, that is much appreciated.

Just for the record: I upgraded to the latest BIOS (v71), since there was a mention of a display issue after returning from S3, but it did not resolve the issue.

Another piece of information: It does not seem to be 'just a black-screen', it also causes by Monitor not to react to key-presses (eg. trying to switch input source). When unplugging the HDMI cable, it immediately responds again.
Not sure whether that could ring a bell for some-one.

Motherboard
Intel NUC 7i5BNK
CPU
i5-7260U
Graphics
Iris Plus 640
Mobile Phone
iOS
Good day everyone,

I know that what I’m going to ask for has been answered in many reply’s here (but not visually with screenshots), I’ve stumbled upon several reply’s concerning the topic of where which kexts have to be placed (Efi, S/L/E or L/E). Could anyone post his/her kext file collection and where which kext file should be placed.

Thanks in advance

Sincerely
schlotterp

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Good day everyone,

I know that what I’m going to ask for has been answered in many reply’s here (but not visually with screenshots), I’ve stumbled upon several reply’s concerning the topic of where which kexts have to be placed (Efi, S/L/E or L/E). Could anyone post his/her kext file collection and where which kext file should be placed.

Thanks in advance

Sincerely
schlotterp
Every kext except fakesmc goes to l/e using kext beast
Only fakesmc is left in clover/kext

Motherboard
NUC8i5BEH
CPU
i5-8259U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
I think I wasn't doing it right as I just copied those files to S/L/E :p, and then lots of error messages came up after input the command to rebuild cache.
After restart it lost sound and network devices (I'm using wired) but weird thing is my screen doesn't flickering anymore when awake from sleep. so I deleted all the kexts files I moved in earlier from S/L/E as I thought they didn't work, and put some back to Clover/Kexts/Other. I have tested by removing some I don't need, and it seems quite stable and no flickering even after sleep overnight, attached is currently what I have in the folder Other.
I'm using my 10 years old Dell U2410 with HDMI, have tried USB-C to DP but it didn't work. The cable works fine if I use it to connect my NUC to a Dell P2415Q, so it seems the U2410 is too old to support USB-C.
one more thing I don't see anyone reported (correct me if I'm wrong) is if I disable the SD-CARD from BIOS my network will get very slow so I have to enable it. I haven't decided if to go NGFF wifi card so I leave that empty now. My system is installed on a sata ssd. I can use the built-in BT by installing a tiny-linux virtual OS, which i found it convenient--just a click once cold booted occasionally.

Attachments

Last edited: