Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, RehabMan, Good Morning. Can i upgrade my system to MacOS Mojave by downloading it from AppStore, without any problems? Do I need to take any prior steps before to have a smooth running? Please suggest.

Hi, RehabMan, Good Morning. Can i upgrade my system to MacOS Mojave by downloading it from AppStore, without any problems? Do I need to take any prior steps before to have a smooth running? Please suggest.

Steps for major updates are in post #1.

FYI: Guide moved to Mojave Desktop Guides

Hi, Rehabman. I have a NUC7i5BNK Hackintosh, used this guide. Works well, but does not recognize a UNI usb-c to ethernet adapter. Adapter works great with MacBook Pro. This is the only usb-c device I have, so I don't know if the port is working at all.

Using the hackintosh in application where I need 2 ethernet ports.

Any advice is appreciated. Debug files attached. Thanks.

Edit: This is a High Sierra build

Edit2: I think I got it going. Per @sparc1234 on page 4, I enabled Thunderbolt Boot.

Attachments

• debug_12Nov2018.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Hi, Rehabman. I have a NUC7i5BNK Hackintosh, used this guide. Works well, but does not recognize a UNI usb-c to ethernet adapter. Adapter works great with MacBook Pro. This is the only usb-c device I have, so I don't know if the port is working at all.

Using the hackintosh in application where I need 2 ethernet ports.

Any advice is appreciated. Debug files attached. Thanks.

Edit: This is a High Sierra build

Edit2: I think I got it going. Per @sparc1234 on page 4, I enabled Thunderbolt Boot.

Make sure you plug the device in prior to boot. TB3 does not hotplug well.

Sorry RehabMan,

Last edited:
Hi Higgins12,

I've been following this forum for a few weeks now, and recently signed up. I purchased an i9-9900K shortly after and have been gathering information for my build, which I'll mention elsewhere...

I believe, from what I've been reading (from every corner of the Internet) is that you have successfully fixed all of your remaining issues/action items for a complete and working build using a new z390 board that is actually a regular sized ATX form factor. I have a hard requirement of needing more than a single x16 so that I can get in more than one card for my Linux and BSD tri-booting. I literally couldn't pull the trigger on a motherboard until I read that someone actually fixed all of the issues they are having with a new board. The board you chose also has everything one should need:

1xDP, 1xHDMI, BT5, TB, Wifi, and even 10gigE!

Can you please create an official user build, following:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/read-me-first-required-tonymacx86-user-builds-template.25660/

All of my parts should be arriving over the weekend and early next week. I just pulled the trigger on the
Asrock Taichi Ultimate z390 after reading this post, which was the last piece I was missing... I'm super excited!

Cheers!

Off-topic.
Please take this discussion elsewhere.

This thread is only for the NUC models mentioned in the guide linked by post #1.

Hi, I get pause and kernel panic after "restore environment starting". It is not even a real nuc I am trying this on.

OS I try to install is High Sierra 10.13.6 and clover version is 4798 (just updated from 4428 with 0 effect)

vlcsnap-2018-12-19-13h39m40s694.png vlcsnap-2018-12-19-13h39m55s452.png vlcsnap-2018-12-19-13h40m07s266.png

It is cheap Chinese "NUC" with Kabilake i3-7100U and single channel 8GB RAM.

20181219_134438.jpg 20181219_134444.jpg

I increased preallocated video memory to 64Mb, Aperture Size already is 256Gb, Secure Boot disabled, I could not find the Execute Disable Bit but assume it is enabled. And I use a previously prepared USB stick for my Asus Z170k Hackintosh with config_install_nuc7.plist added as a config version.

20181219_135312.jpgScreen Shot 2018-12-19 at 13.51.20.png

UPDATE: I removed all kexts but FakeSMC and it booted into Installer.

Last edited:
It is not even a real nuc I am trying this on.

What do you mean by "not even a real nuc"?
This guide is only for the Intel NUC models as mentioned in the guide.
The NUC in your profile is not one of them.

What do you mean by "not even a real nuc"?
This guide is only for the Intel NUC models as mentioned in the guide.
The NUC in your profile is not one of them.
Nope, with that in profile I have no problems. It was one the first NUC which ever came out.
This one though looks like NUC, is advertised as NUC and essentially is NUC.
All I did for now was create new Mojave install
1) USB with create install media
2) Added AFPS driver in drivers64UEFI and FakeSMC in kexts/other.
3) Booted into install and installed.
The HDMI video is choppy but VGA seems smooth.
Now I am looking for Half Mini PCIE WiFi / BT card (a shame they cost £20+ when you can buy a unsupported one for £3) and then I will sort out the video.
Sorry if you consider this an off-top. I basically turned here for advice but seam to have sorted it myself.
You can find the device on Aliexpress on if you search for xcy nuc.
They are much poorer built then real NUC. I had to remove battery and short contacts out before I could boot it. Unfortunately on second one (I bought two) I accidentally ripped off battery socket - it was only soldered to to the motherboard - not glued or anything. I am trying to solder it back now.
There is only one SODIMM slot (I put 8GB in it). It has an mSata slot and half mini pcie slot. It does have a Sata port and comes with power cable for it and there is even a socket for that on motherboard but strangely the cooler is connected to it.
The other, actual cooler socket supplies 12V instead of 5 and is no good for Sata. I tried to connect the cooler there (had to reposition ventilator inside the cooler for that) it hums loudly now (I don't know if I will be able to adjust with fan speed controller app in OS) but I could not check it out because of RAM which turned out to be faulty and while trying to understand if it was RAM or battery, ripped out the battery socket which is on super glue now waiting to solidify until tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back