Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming Wifi
CPU
i9-9900K @ OC 5.1GHz
Graphics
2 x GTX 1080ti
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Sorry RehabMan,

Last edited:

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi Higgins12,

I've been following this forum for a few weeks now, and recently signed up. I purchased an i9-9900K shortly after and have been gathering information for my build, which I'll mention elsewhere...

I believe, from what I've been reading (from every corner of the Internet) is that you have successfully fixed all of your remaining issues/action items for a complete and working build using a new z390 board that is actually a regular sized ATX form factor. I have a hard requirement of needing more than a single x16 so that I can get in more than one card for my Linux and BSD tri-booting. I literally couldn't pull the trigger on a motherboard until I read that someone actually fixed all of the issues they are having with a new board. The board you chose also has everything one should need:

1xDP, 1xHDMI, BT5, TB, Wifi, and even 10gigE!

Can you please create an official user build, following:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/read-me-first-required-tonymacx86-user-builds-template.25660/

All of my parts should be arriving over the weekend and early next week. I just pulled the trigger on the
Asrock Taichi Ultimate z390 after reading this post, which was the last piece I was missing... I'm super excited!

Cheers!
Off-topic.
Please take this discussion elsewhere.

This thread is only for the NUC models mentioned in the guide linked by post #1.

Motherboard
Intel NUC DC3217BY M 10.9
CPU
i3-7100
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
LC, Performa
Hi, I get pause and kernel panic after "restore environment starting". It is not even a real nuc I am trying this on.

OS I try to install is High Sierra 10.13.6 and clover version is 4798 (just updated from 4428 with 0 effect)

vlcsnap-2018-12-19-13h39m40s694.png vlcsnap-2018-12-19-13h39m55s452.png vlcsnap-2018-12-19-13h40m07s266.png

It is cheap Chinese "NUC" with Kabilake i3-7100U and single channel 8GB RAM.

20181219_134438.jpg 20181219_134444.jpg

I increased preallocated video memory to 64Mb, Aperture Size already is 256Gb, Secure Boot disabled, I could not find the Execute Disable Bit but assume it is enabled. And I use a previously prepared USB stick for my Asus Z170k Hackintosh with config_install_nuc7.plist added as a config version.

20181219_135312.jpgScreen Shot 2018-12-19 at 13.51.20.png

UPDATE: I removed all kexts but FakeSMC and it booted into Installer.

Last edited:

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
It is not even a real nuc I am trying this on.
What do you mean by "not even a real nuc"?
This guide is only for the Intel NUC models as mentioned in the guide.
The NUC in your profile is not one of them.

Motherboard
CPU
i3-7100
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
LC, Performa
What do you mean by "not even a real nuc"?
This guide is only for the Intel NUC models as mentioned in the guide.
The NUC in your profile is not one of them.
Nope, with that in profile I have no problems. It was one the first NUC which ever came out.
This one though looks like NUC, is advertised as NUC and essentially is NUC.
All I did for now was create new Mojave install
1) USB with create install media
2) Added AFPS driver in drivers64UEFI and FakeSMC in kexts/other.
3) Booted into install and installed.
The HDMI video is choppy but VGA seems smooth.
Now I am looking for Half Mini PCIE WiFi / BT card (a shame they cost £20+ when you can buy a unsupported one for £3) and then I will sort out the video.
Sorry if you consider this an off-top. I basically turned here for advice but seam to have sorted it myself.
You can find the device on Aliexpress on if you search for xcy nuc.
They are much poorer built then real NUC. I had to remove battery and short contacts out before I could boot it. Unfortunately on second one (I bought two) I accidentally ripped off battery socket - it was only soldered to to the motherboard - not glued or anything. I am trying to solder it back now.
There is only one SODIMM slot (I put 8GB in it). It has an mSata slot and half mini pcie slot. It does have a Sata port and comes with power cable for it and there is even a socket for that on motherboard but strangely the cooler is connected to it.
The other, actual cooler socket supplies 12V instead of 5 and is no good for Sata. I tried to connect the cooler there (had to reposition ventilator inside the cooler for that) it hums loudly now (I don't know if I will be able to adjust with fan speed controller app in OS) but I could not check it out because of RAM which turned out to be faulty and while trying to understand if it was RAM or battery, ripped out the battery socket which is on super glue now waiting to solidify until tomorrow.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Nope, with that in profile I have no problems.
You need to update your profile.
And any problem report must have problem reporting files attached as requested in post #1.
Please read post #1 carefully.

Motherboard
CPU
i3-7100
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
LC, Performa
Small update For XCY i3 NUC.

1) Video sorted.
- The erratic HDMI behaviour fixed with RGB edid patch. Have not watched movies on it but I do not see problems
- Only thing required in BIOS is setting DVMT Pre-Allocated to 64M otherwise all OOB.
- IntelGraphicsFix.kext not required.
2) Network. Poked around with ioRegistry. Found pci10ec, 8168 entry, Googled that it is Realtek 8111/8168 card, installed Mieze kext. Works.

I still use config_install_nuc7.plist as config.plist.

Figuring out audio now. It appears to have Realtek ALC889 but I can't determine motherboard. After installing LILU and AppleALC kexts it shows up properly in IOREG editor but still no luck of getting actual sound.

Screenshot 2018-12-22 at 14.40.49.png

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
IntelGraphicsFix.kext not required.
No such kext. And post #1 guide does not use anything even close.

Network. Poked around with ioRegistry. Found pci10ec, 8168 entry, Googled that it is Realtek 8111/8168 card, installed Mieze kext. Works.
Installed automatically by post #1 procedures.

I still use config_install_nuc7.plist as config.plist.
Your profile seems to be inaccurate. Please fix.

And if you have an issue with following this guide for the listed/supported hardware in post #1, please attach problem reporting files as requested in post #1. No exceptions.

Motherboard
CPU
i3-7100
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
LC, Performa
No such kext.
It is IntelGraphicsFixup.kext, are you picking up on spelling now?

Installed automatically by post #1 procedures.
How? With post install instructions? Is it possible to review what it does before running it?

Your profile seems to be inaccurate. Please fix.
What is inaccurate? It has all information your build tool lets put there. There is no name for this XCY motherboard. It is "Unknown" even if you look in bios. See screenshots above. Your profile tool does not let to put that in. Besides I have Asus Zotac 750Ti not 950 on my desktop hackintosh. But it is not possible to choose that with your profile tool. Only 950 is available.

Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 16.53.32.png

What is worse, your website has deleted my first and third builds. The entries are blank.

Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 16.55.44.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i3-7100
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
LC, Performa
New progress report.

I run post install scripts and what happened is that if I use the new (after-install) config.plist, the mouse and keyboard does not work.

If using old (install) config plist, I can log in and HDMI audio works (hurray!) but...

Network preferences say Ethernet Not Connected (Either the cable is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding). I checked, it is plugged in and even orange and green leds are blinking. Besides, I have another cable next to it, tried that, same thing.

Well, about the video. I have not been able to try video with the new config plist but currently it is that if I boot with VGA monitor, it boots well and if I connect HDMI on the fly, it also works very well, I get Geekbench OpenCL Performance score of 13745.

There is thing that I cannot enable 2048Mb of aperture size for video as it requires disabling csm which in turn requires video turned from legacy to UEFI, but it does not post if I enable that. There is option of do not load. If I enable that, I can boot with both monitors on, but I do not see anything on the screen before the second apple shows up with the progress bar. Which is kind of inconvenient because I can't get into bios without resetting cmos.

I suspect that I can't see anything on with this UEFI video mode because there is no UEFI bios there only standard blue and white old type BIOS.

Could you guess which of the actions in script made 1) network card to appear as if the cable was unplugged and what in new 2) config.plist makes mouse and keyboard stop working?