Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clover/kexts/Other is missing SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext.
Read the guide carefully.

Thanks. I think I initially skipped that part because I was using an NVME drive and thought I didn't need it, and then I just forgot when I switched to SATA drives. That at least got me to the installer and mounted the NVME drive, but after the first phase, when booting from the target drive, it still wouldn't boot (attaching a picture of the boot just in case it's any help to anyone). Disk Utility still wouldn't mount the SATA SSD for some reason.

I think I got it to work another way, though. I popped the SATA SSD into my Broadwell NUC and installed High Sierra, which worked perfectly. Did all the post-install stuff just pretending I was on the NUC7, shut down, then popped the SSD into the NUC7. Seems to be working, at least in the limited testing I've done tonight. Guess I'll find out if something is broken as I keep using it. I may try to clone to the NVME drive and see if I can get it to boot then. The NVME drive is keyed differently than the M.2 slot on the NUC5, so I can't install directly onto there.

Attachments

• IMG_20180619_133036.jpg
    IMG_20180619_133036.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 108
Thanks. I think I initially skipped that part because I was using an NVME drive and thought I didn't need it, and then I just forgot when I switched to SATA drives. That at least got me to the installer and mounted the NVME drive, but after the first phase, when booting from the target drive, it still wouldn't boot (attaching a picture of the boot just in case it's any help to anyone). Disk Utility still wouldn't mount the SATA SSD for some reason.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

I think I got it to work another way, though. I popped the SATA SSD into my Broadwell NUC and installed High Sierra, which worked perfectly. Did all the post-install stuff just pretending I was on the NUC7, shut down, then popped the SSD into the NUC7. Seems to be working, at least in the limited testing I've done tonight. Guess I'll find out if something is broken as I keep using it. I may try to clone to the NVME drive and see if I can get it to boot then. The NVME drive is keyed differently than the M.2 slot on the NUC5, so I can't install directly onto there.

NUC5 does not support M.2 NVMe (they are keyed M).

I installed High Sierra on NUC7. I had NVMe M2 SSD for windows installation initially with UEFI boot. I added one HDD to the NUC7 for Hackintosh Installation.

I successfully installed the Hackintosh. Here are the problems i am facing -

1. When i connect the USB Pen Drive and Keyboard/Mouse to the ports, i am seeing that the Keyboard & mouse are not responding properly. If i remove the USB Pen drive, keyboard and mouse are working properly. What is the reason?

2. This command failed when i executed.
Balajis-iMac:nuc.git balajikumard$ cp config_nuc7.plist /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist
cp: /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist: No such file or directory

I am attaching the output from the command: 'ls -l /Volumes' here:
Balajis-iMac:nuc.git balajikumard$ ls -l /Volumes
total 1
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 balajikumard staff 512 Jun 24 01:54 EFI
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1 Jun 24 02:26 MACOSX -> /
drwxr-xr-x 1 balajikumard staff 8192 Jun 23 20:53 Untitled

Why the command is failing?

3. Without the USB Pen Drive, i can't able to login into the MacOS directly. This MacOSX boot entry is available only when i boot from the USB pen drive. How this entry can be made available without the help of the USB Pen Drive, directly from the hard disks/bios?

Please suggest me the solution.

Even as a newbie, with the help of your guide, i could able to install the Hackintosh with little effort into my NUC7. Thanks for the support.

I installed High Sierra on NUC7. I had NVMe M2 SSD for windows installation initially with UEFI boot. I added one HDD to the NUC7 for Hackintosh Installation.

I successfully installed the Hackintosh. Here are the problems i am facing -

1. When i connect the USB Pen Drive and Keyboard/Mouse to the ports, i am seeing that the Keyboard & mouse are not responding properly. If i remove the USB Pen drive, keyboard and mouse are working properly. What is the reason?

2. This command failed when i executed.
Balajis-iMac:nuc.git balajikumard$ cp config_nuc7.plist /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist
cp: /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist: No such file or directory

I am attaching the output from the command: 'ls -l /Volumes' here:
Balajis-iMac:nuc.git balajikumard$ ls -l /Volumes
total 1
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 balajikumard staff 512 Jun 24 01:54 EFI
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1 Jun 24 02:26 MACOSX -> /
drwxr-xr-x 1 balajikumard staff 8192 Jun 23 20:53 Untitled

Why the command is failing?

You probably forgot to install Clover before trying to do the post install steps.

Thanks alot. I missed it. Can i do the missed step (Clover installation on HDD) now, without disturbing the completed High Sierra Installation?

By adding the new boot entry because of the above, whether the existing windows booting will be intact or is it going to be distrubed?

How to overcome this particular problem - When i connect the USB Pen Drive and Keyboard/Mouse to the ports, i am seeing that the Keyboard & mouse are not responding properly. If i remove the USB Pen drive, keyboard and mouse are working properly. What is the reason?

Thanks for your support.

Added support for NUC7 Dawson Canyon, which makes a nice hack due to replaceable WiFi.

As usual, read post #1 for details.

Some notes on the NUC7i7DNKE

Recently received a "Dawson Canyon" NUC7i7DNKE. This NUC also works by following this guide.

Highlights:
- KabyLake-R Core i7-8650U
- Intel UHD 620 graphics
- replaceable WiFi via M.2 2230 slot
- M.2 2280 for SSD
- dual-HDMI at back panel (one marked "Protected UHD")
- 4x USB3 ports (2x back, 2x front)
- Ethernet (works with IntelMausiEthernet.kext)
- no analog audio (audio works via HDMI audio)
- no Thunderbolt, no USB type C

These "Dawson Canyon" NUCs are an excellent option due to their simplicity and replaceable WiFi hardware. I replaced the Intel WiFi hardware with Broadcom BCM943252Z and it works great. The required kexts and patches are already present in the guide files.

Note: The only big difference was the USB configuration, which uses HS02->HS05 + SS02->SS05 instead of 01->04. Some other files were simplified for the Dawson Canyon NUC due to lack of analog audio.

Thanks alot. I missed it. Can i do the missed step (Clover installation on HDD) now, without disturbing the completed High Sierra Installation?

Yes.

By adding the new boot entry because of the above, whether the existing windows booting will be intact or is it going to be distrubed?

You should read the important dual boot info in post #2 of the main laptop guide...

How to overcome this particular problem - When i connect the USB Pen Drive and Keyboard/Mouse to the ports, i am seeing that the Keyboard & mouse are not responding properly. If i remove the USB Pen drive, keyboard and mouse are working properly. What is the reason?

You must complete the post install steps properly for correct USB configuration.

Last edited:
Turns out my problems were due to faulty or incompatible RAM. Borrowed a stick from my laptop and was able to install directly to the NVME with no issues. Now running the Mojave beta and haven't seen any issues yet.

Turns out my problems were due to faulty or incompatible RAM. Borrowed a stick from my laptop and was able to install directly to the NVME with no issues. Now running the Mojave beta and haven't seen any issues yet.

There were a few changes required for 10.14... in particular, layout-id=1 does not work for onboard/analog audio (changed to 4).
mount_efi.sh needed a minor revision due to diskutil mount for the EFI needing sudo (security issue, I suppose).

And for Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext to start, you need to add -lulubeta and -igfxbeta kernel flags to config.plist/Boot/Arguments. I did not add these to the repo, as I expect Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext will eventually be revised before 10.14 release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back