Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what "information" you're referring to.
Everything works without any additional research if you follow the procedures in post #1.
yep you're right, kaby lake compatibility is mentioned further down the post, because im new, i carefully re-read the usb prep section, over and over. i assumed id incorrectly configured my usb, and spent a bunch of time reinstalling and configuring clover. thats on me, but a small note (eg, osx prior to osx 10.12 lacks compatibility for kaby lake see below) might help others who dont know that they need to change the cpu identifier before initial installation, rather than post installation (where the spoofing section is at the moment).

yep you're right, kaby lake compatibility is mentioned further down the post, because im new, i carefully re-read the usb prep section, over and over. i assumed id incorrectly configured my usb, and spent a bunch of time reinstalling and configuring clover. thats on me, but a small note (eg, osx prior to osx 10.12 lacks compatibility for kaby lake see below) might help others who dont know that they need to change the cpu identifier before initial installation, rather than post installation (where the spoofing section is at the moment).

I think the problem is you replied and quoted a post of mine that was actually a reply to someone else (@Klawitter).
@Klawitter's post #220 clearly shows intent to install 10.13 (which definitely has native KabyLake support), as there would be no reason to use apfs.efi if you were not installing 10.13.

You never mentioned installing 10.11.x. There is a separate guide thread for 10.11... (this is the thread for 10.13.x).

Nice to hear you have things working though...

Last edited:
Freaking awesome :)

This is the first time I've considered slinging OSX onto a NUC, and did it second time (admittedly, first time I tried I forgot to run clover post-install and couldnt figure out what i'd done as wouldnt boot without USB) but everything seems to work really well, with exception for Wifi - but I use Ethernet primarily anyway :)

Hi,
is it possible to add another WiFi card in M.2 slot and use it (and somehow SW/BIOS... disable soldered Intel’s adapter)?
In this case, is it necessary to do something with antenas?
I would like to add BCM94352Z M.2 card into the NUC7i3 and then install OSX on NUC, hoping that WiFi and BT will work.
This NUC model has Optane disk (now with Windows), and I plan to add SATA 1TB 5400 disk (to preserve M.2 slot for BCM94352Z WiFi card).
Has anyone tried something like that? Does it work? Any guidelines, issues, warnings...are welcome
Thx

Hi,
is it possible to add another WiFi card in M.2 slot and use it (and somehow SW/BIOS... disable soldered Intel’s adapter)?
In this case, is it necessary to do something with antenas?
I would like to add BCM94352Z M.2 card into the NUC7i3 and then install OSX on NUC, hoping that WiFi and BT will work.
This NUC model has Optane disk (now with Windows), and I plan to add SATA 1TB 5400 disk (to preserve M.2 slot for BCM94352Z WiFi card).
Has anyone tried something like that? Does it work? Any guidelines, issues, warnings...are welcome
Thx

I think someone did it with the NUC6i7KYK (it has two M.2 slots).

Rehabman, just wanted to thank you and all involved for a stupendous job. I have a Nuc7i5 running along nicely with latest High Sierra. Running a 4k monitor via HDMI which has inbuilt speakers and everything is working really nicely. Using a cheap OURLINK Nano wifi dongle. Next thing is to find a working bluetooth solution but don't need it at the minute. I just wanted to update this

Not tested/not working

The following features have issues, or have not been tested:
- internal USB headers

In theory, this unit has two internal USB headers. I did not test them, and as a result, the custom USB configuration in SSDT-USB.dsl does not have them enabled. If you enable them and discover the port numbers, please contribute and I will add the ports to the SSDT. You can boot with -uia_ignore_rmcf to cause USBInjectAll.kext to disregard the custom configuration data in the SSDT (which enables all ports).

I used -uia_ignore_rmcf at the Clover boot stage and can confirm the USB headers work fine. See pic for setup. how can I get this to run all the time? Is there a kext or something I need. Sorry, pretty dumb on all this, but good at following directions :)

I have a NUC in the G4 cube pictured and everything works including internal CD and touch on off. However it is a 4th gen NUC and I can't get further than Sierra so I'll swap out the 7th Gen for it. But that's another story.

How do I find the port numbers you are asking for above? Happy to go digging to help out.

Attachments

• NUC7i5.jpg
    NUC7i5.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 196
Rehabman, just wanted to thank you and all involved for a stupendous job. I have a Nuc7i5 running along nicely with latest High Sierra. Running a 4k monitor via HDMI which has inbuilt speakers and everything is working really nicely. Using a cheap OURLINK Nano wifi dongle. Next thing is to find a working bluetooth solution but don't need it at the minute. I just wanted to update this

Not tested/not working

The following features have issues, or have not been tested:
- internal USB headers

In theory, this unit has two internal USB headers. I did not test them, and as a result, the custom USB configuration in SSDT-USB.dsl does not have them enabled. If you enable them and discover the port numbers, please contribute and I will add the ports to the SSDT. You can boot with -uia_ignore_rmcf to cause USBInjectAll.kext to disregard the custom configuration data in the SSDT (which enables all ports).

I used -uia_ignore_rmcf at the Clover boot stage and can confirm the USB headers work fine. See pic for setup. how can I get this to run all the time? Is there a kext or something I need. Sorry, pretty dumb on all this, but good at following directions :)

I have a NUC in the G4 cube pictured and everything works including internal CD and touch on off. However it is a 4th gen NUC and I can't get further than Sierra so I'll swap out the 7th Gen for it. But that's another story.

How do I find the port numbers you are asking for above? Happy to go digging to help out.

If you look at SSDT-USB-NUC7.dsl, you'll see:
Code:
                    #if 0 //typically, internal headers HS05/HS06 not used
                    "HS05", Package()   // internal header 1
                    {
                        "UsbConnector", 255, // use 0 if connected to port on non-Intel case
                        "port", Buffer() { 0x05, 0, 0, 0 },
                    },
                    "HS06", Package()   // internal header 2
                    {
                        "port", Buffer() { 0x06, 0, 0, 0 },
                    },
                    #endif

If you change the #if 0 to #if 1 (thus enabling the ports to be injected), you will find your ports work (after 'make install', and reboot).

Background info for USBInjectAll configuration via UIAC.RMCF:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

Thank You, I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know

If you look at SSDT-USB-NUC7.dsl, you'll see:
Code:
                    #if 0 //typically, internal headers HS05/HS06 not used
                    "HS05", Package()   // internal header 1
                    {
                        "port", Buffer() { 0x05, 0, 0, 0 },
                    },
                    "HS06", Package()   // internal header 2
                    {
                        "port", Buffer() { 0x06, 0, 0, 0 },
                    },
                    #endif

If you change the #if 0 to #if 1 (thus enabling the ports to be injected), you will find your ports work (after 'make install', and reboot).

Background info for USBInjectAll configuration via UIAC.RMCF:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

@RehabMan Did you take a look at the NUC7 - DN version? (ie NUC7i7DNxx). They do have removable Wifi module just like NUC5

@RehabMan Did you take a look at the NUC7 - DN version? (ie NUC7i7DNxx). They do have removable Wifi module just like NUC5

Moved your post to correct thread (question is regarding NUC7, not NUC5)...

Dawson Canyon...
I looked at newegg.com, amazon.com, and google.com (shopping). None for sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back