Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I noticed nuc5 support on Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch RehabMan's repository so I tried to install Mojave on my NUC5i7RYB.

Unfortunately the system reboots with a "Panic on FB Memory Manager..." at the very first clover's boot (just before initial setup).

Bios updated and configured properly, I tried both minidisplay port and mini hdmi port for my Philips 273V FHD monitor.

Report files attached and boot video available here:
https://transfer.sh/oAVWQ/CFC36A1B-0451-4C71-A35E-55AC42EBC65D.MOV

Any hints? Thank you!

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2 MB · Views: 239
Hi, I noticed nuc5 support on Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch RehabMan's repository so I tried to install Mojave on my NUC5i7RYB.

Unfortunately the system reboots with a "Panic on FB Memory Manager..." at the very first clover's boot (just before initial setup).

Bios updated and configured properly, I tried both minidisplay port and mini hdmi port for my Philips 273V FHD monitor.

Report files attached and boot video available here:
https://transfer.sh/oAVWQ/CFC36A1B-0451-4C71-A35E-55AC42EBC65D.MOV

Any hints? Thank you!

You're using the wrong config.plist.
Must use config_install_nuc5.plist for USB installer.
config_nuc5.plist is only for post-install.
I didn't check anything else after seeing this obvious mistake, so you might want to read the guide a bit more carefully to make sure you didn't make other mistakes.

Must use config_install_nuc5.plist for USB installer.

Shame on me, after using the proper installation plist setup was done properly, but when exit from sleep (just sleep, not hibernation of course) the monitor won't display anything (I tried both mini display port and mini hdmi), and I suspect also usb isn't working either since num lock in keyboard is alwasy off.

Also audio over hdmi isn't working at all, for this after reading carefully the doc, in a just git-pulled repo, I changed FAKH to 1 in SSDT-NUC5.dsl (then make clean and make install_nuc5) but no luck, so I rebuilt kext cache (booting clover without cache and "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /") but it still no works.

Analog audio works fine.

For video and usb after the sleep I have no clue, so I didn't tried anything yet.

My monitor is a FHD Philips 273V.

Report file attached, thank you.

Attachments

• debug_2662.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Shame on me, after using the proper installation plist setup was done properly, but when exit from sleep (just sleep, not hibernation of course) the monitor won't display anything (I tried both mini display port and mini hdmi), and I suspect also usb isn't working either since num lock in keyboard is alwasy off.

Also audio over hdmi isn't working at all, for this after reading carefully the doc, in a just git-pulled repo, I changed FAKH to 1 in SSDT-NUC5.dsl (then make clean and make install_nuc5) but no luck, so I rebuilt kext cache (booting clover without cache and "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /") but it still no works.

Analog audio works fine.

For video and usb after the sleep I have no clue, so I didn't tried anything yet.

My monitor is a FHD Philips 273V.

Report file attached, thank you.

Your ioreg shows two monitors connected.
One at framebuffer@1, another at framebuffer@2.
How is each connected?

Depending on the port used for each (if one or both is HDMI), you need to enable one or more of the framebuffer patches you find in config.plist/Devices/Properties. My NUC5 is dual-DP, so the patches are disabled by default.

Your ioreg shows two monitors connected.
One at framebuffer@1, another at framebuffer@2.
How is each connected?

Both are connected to two identical philips 273V monitors via hdmi, one miniHDMI->HDMI the other miniDP->HDMI.
To avoid mistakes (by me of course) i'm using only one monitor per time in the following debug.

Depending on the port used for each (if one or both is HDMI), you need to enable one or more of the framebuffer patches you find in config.plist/Devices/Properties.

So if I get the point (I hope I did), I modified to 1 the integer of the key framebuffer-con1-enable of my config.plist, so I tried to reboot the first time with the miniHDMI->HDMI and the second time with miniDP->HDMI.
In both reboots audio still doesn't work via HDMI.
Always in the config.plist I noticed a key audio followed with a key inject with the integer 0, I'm not sure what is this, but i tried also to change it to 1 and reboot, but still no luck, so i reverted it to 0.

In any case resume after sleep isn't working, and I can confirm isn't only display related because also networking and usb isn't working after wake.

For each attempt I made a system report, and they are attached.

Attachments

• debug_32324_miniHDMI.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 215
  • debug_9029_miniDP.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 231
  • debug_25771_miniDP_audio1.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 225
Both are connected to two identical philips 273V monitors via hdmi, one miniHDMI->HDMI the other miniDP->HDMI.
To avoid mistakes (by me of course) i'm using only one monitor per time in the following debug.

The HDMI port should be patched for HDMI.
I cannot tell you which one it is (that's up to you).

Hello RehabMan and always thanks for your time,

what about the abnormal "exit" from sleep? As said before the system never wake properly from S1/S2/S3.

The HDMI port should be patched for HDMI.
I cannot tell you which one it is (that's up to you).

That's definitively framebuffer-con1, anyway I tried both.

When I try to patch con1, the HDMI output is shown in sound preferences (even if no output controls reported for it) but still no audio output from monitor, (screenshot attached).

When I try to patch con2, only the analog headphone device is shown in sound preference.

In all case only one monitor to MiniHDMI port is plugged.

Problem report files added for each test/port.

Attachments

• debug_32156_con1.zip
    3 MB · Views: 148
  • debug_20982_con2.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 139
  • hdmi_nosound.png
    hdmi_nosound.png
    669.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
what about the abnormal "exit" from sleep? As said before the system never wake properly from S1/S2/S3.

Fix your HDMI patching first. Then attach PR files with details on the problem.
anyway I tried both.

Do not patch DP for HDMI.
When I try to patch con1, the HDMI output is shown in sound preferences (even if no output controls reported for it) but still no audio output from monitor, (screenshot attached).

When I try to patch con2, only the analog headphone device is shown in sound preference.

As you already mentioned con1 is the HDMI. Do not patch con2.
No controls expected for HDMI/DP audio.
Problem report files added for each test/port.

But I have no idea which port you're using in each case.
Only you can know that.

But I have no idea which port you're using in each case.
Only you can know that.

It was con1 as expected, changing the monitor fixed the issue. Probably the EDID needs to be fixed to work properly with my Philips 273V but since it's due to my specific configuration it's definitively out of scope for this guide.

No controls expected for HDMI/DP audio.

Since in Linux and Windows audio controls over HDMI works properly I thought it should work also on OSX.

Fix your HDMI patching first. Then attach PR files with details on the problem.

Correct, I'll do a dedicated post for it. Thanks.

Hello,
we use the same device as you. NUC7I5BNH
I need OpenCore EFI for Big Sur installation. Could you help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back