Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enable ‘Thunderbolt Boot’ in the BIOS and storage devices (including e.g. a 4 HDD TB3 drive array) will work as long as they are plugged in when the system is powered on. You might have to run Windows once prior to doing this and install the latest TB firmware.

So.. No hot plugging is supported, nor will any thunderbolt docks etc work. It’s purely mass storage support via the BIOS.

Other than that USB-C devices work fine. It’s not what you asked, but it’s the same port, so it’s worth mentioning.

I have some hopes that High Sierra might solve the thunderbolt issues.... for now I’m happy with Sierra and don’t feel like experimenting until the first guide shows up.

IOREG attached...

Does anyone have their thunderbolt port working?
system profiler is reporting - Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded

Last edited:
Enable ‘Thunderbolt Boot’ in the BIOS and storage devices (including e.g. a 4 HDD TB3 drive array) will work as long as they are plugged in when the system is powered on. You might have to run Windows once prior to doing this and install the latest TB firmware.

So.. No hot plugging is supported, nor will any thunderbolt docks etc work. It’s purely mass storage support via the BIOS.

Other than that USB-C devices work fine. It’s not what you asked, but it’s the same port, so it’s worth mentioning.

I have some hopes that High Sierra might solve the thunderbolt issues.... for now I’m happy with Sierra and don’t feel like experimenting until the first guide shows up.
Thanks for the reply... im going to change bios as you stated.

Thanks for the reply... im going to change bios as you stated.

Should TB work as it should in High Sierra, you might have to change back the BIOS setting for the native drivers to work. Just something to remember should the day come :)

I was curious if anyone was using this model as a headless PC and whether they had audio working?

HDMI audio works fine if it's plugged into the monitor, but not remotely. I thought a headless adapter would fix this, but it didn't. Neither did an update to the latest Bios.

I was curious if anyone was using this model as a headless PC and whether they had audio working?

HDMI audio works fine if it's plugged into the monitor, but not remotely. I thought a headless adapter would fix this, but it didn't. Neither did an update to the latest Bios.

Try with onboard audio.

"Try with onboard audio."

The headphone socket works fine. The speakers in my monitor work fine if the NUC is directly plugged in via HDMI.

The fit-headless device appears in Sound and I can select it; it's just the sound doesn't work remotely.

"Try with onboard audio."

The headphone socket works fine. The speakers in my monitor work fine if the NUC is directly plugged in via HDMI.

The fit-headless device appears in Sound and I can select it; it's just the sound doesn't work remotely.

It may depend on the remote access software you're actually using.

Does anybody know if the NUC7I3BNH has Problems with 4K generally?
I sometimes have pictures like this on 30hz:
284311201-bildrauschen-verschwommen-flimmern-signal.jpg
After 1-2 minutes it crashes totally. 60hz wont work at all.
In FullHD, everything is fine.
I've an i7 one and a wrecked installation there, everything accept of sound is working. But I dont want to touch this one again, it has to work.

Does anybody know if the NUC7I3BNH has Problems with 4K generally?
I sometimes have pictures like this on 30hz:
284311201-bildrauschen-verschwommen-flimmern-signal.jpg
After 1-2 minutes it crashes totally. 60hz wont work at all.
In FullHD, everything is fine.
I've an i7 one and a wrecked installation there, everything accept of sound is working. But I dont want to touch this one again, it has to work.

Something is wrong with the KabyLake graphics drivers wrt 4k@60.
You can use Skylake spoofing for better 4k@60 support.
Simple matter of adding SSDT-SkylakeSpoof.aml to ACPI/patched.

Something is wrong with the KabyLake graphics drivers wrt 4k@60.
You can use Skylake spoofing for better 4k@60 support.
Simple matter of adding SSDT-SkylakeSpoof.aml to ACPI/patched.

RehabMan,
This was very helpful. Thanks for the information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back