Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My particular NUC is the NUC7i5BNH. Is there any utility in changing my SMBIOS to 14,1 (13-inch macbook pro, no touchbar)? The internals seem more similar to that unit (core i5, 640 HD).

SMBIOS selection is determined by config.plist/SMBIOS.

Any luck on getting the ioreg yet?

SMBIOS selection is determined by config.plist/SMBIOS.

Any luck on getting the ioreg yet?

re: the ioreg, my colleague needed his laptop last nite, so I couldnt take it home. Will try for tonight.

re: SMBIOS, sorry if I wasnt clear, I think I understand the mechanism to change it, just wondering if it is at all useful to change from 14,2 (as per this guide) to 14,1 which more closely matches the hw in my particular NUC.

re: SMBIOS, sorry if I wasnt clear, I think I understand the mechanism to change it, just wondering if it is at all useful to change from 14,2 (as per this guide) to 14,1 which more closely matches the hw in my particular NUC.

You can try either one.

Using a laptop SMBIOS may be a mistake with a desktop.
I would recommend sticking with a desktop SMBIOS.

When setting the product name to iMac16,2 it's possible to use the power on/off button on a DisplayPort mini connected monitor at any time without it the system freezing up etc (even while playing a video, it normally recovers including audio over DisplayPort).. The negative side however is that I can no longer use resolutions above 2560x1440. If I force higher resolutions (such as 3840x2160 60 hz), the display simply looses it's signal (goes into standby mode). I've played around using SwitchResX, but there is nothing I can force with getting back an actual signal to the monitor so far. Is there anything I can try other than changing the product name in SMBIOS, since I really love being able to switch of the monitor at any time finally. Any reply will be tremendously appreciated.

Last edited:
When setting the product name to iMac16,2 it's possible to use the power on/off button on a DisplayPort mini connected monitor at any time without it the system freezing up etc (even while playing a video, it normally recovers including audio over DisplayPort).. The negative side however is that I can no longer use resolutions above 2560x1440. If I force higher resolutions (such as 3840x2160 60 hz), the display simply looses it's signal (goes into standby mode). I've played around using SwitchResX, but there is nothing I can force with getting back an actual signal to the monitor so far. Is there anything I can try other than changing the product name in SMBIOS, since I really love being able to switch of the monitor at any time finally. Any reply will be tremendously appreciated.

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Mr RehabMan, you are a star. Everything I need is now working fine; even HDMI audio, which was reluctant to start. Could never get any audio working using UniBeast/MultiBeast.

Even this i3 NUC with 8 GB RAM seems pretty speedy.

If you have a tip jar, I shall leave something in it. Thanks again.

Just curious if anyone has attempted to use an EGPU with this setup.
I have an akitio Node (gtx 960 inside) that works great with my macbook air. on 10.12.6
Install went great following Rehabs tutorial. Audio and graphics working great via HDMI.
My 1 issue is thunderbolt.

system profiler says: Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded..???

Last edited:
Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".
I will do so if the problem persists after the upgrade to High Sierra (as it will likely use updated native GPU drivers which might fix the issue I'm having). For now it's important to know that using the iMac16,2 profile in 'Sierra' seems to solve all DP hot plug previously existing DP hot plug issues !

IOREG attached...

Does anyone have their thunderbolt port working?
system profiler is reporting - Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded

Attachments

• RehabMan.zip
    708.1 KB · Views: 101
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back