Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note: Updated the github project to install Lilu.kext + IntelGraphicsFixup.kext.

I found that IntelGraphicsFixup.kext eliminates a "pause" that happens periodically while watching certain video content in Safari while moving the mouse.

I apologize if I should be over at nvme-spoof thread, but since these machines should be very similar, I'm here.
I followed the guide and can get it working on an internal SSD, but I'm having trouble with the nvme.

I have a BPX MyDigitalSSD NVMe PCIe 3.0 MDNVME80-BPX-0312. NUC7i3bnh.

I have tried tons of stuff, but at the core, am adding only:
config_install_nuc7.plist --> EFI/CLOVER/config.plist //with name-change
SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml --> EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/
and the kexts:
FakeSMC.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext
HackrNVMe..12_5.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
// all kexts to Other
// Internet is working.

And the HFSPlus.efi --> EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI

My Windows Boot gave me PCI Paths..
[Device Name]
\_SB.PCI0.RP09.PXSX
[Location Paths]
PCIROOT(O)#PCI(ID00)#PCI(0000)
ACPCI(_SB_)#ACPI(PCI0)#ACPI(RP09)#ACPCI(DXSX)

Changing the RP13 to RP09 (in both appearances) didn't work, so I tried naming it etc (fail).
Modifying as told, adding SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml to .../patched
Did not modify
Should I be changing something in the config.plist file as well? The directions are extremely verbose with loops and I'm having trouble understanding them.

I do have USB's attached and enabled (bios) at the headers. Not sure if that is an issue. Ubuntu (currently on the nvme drive) works fine, and whilst Clover can see the nvme, OSX cannot (and thus cannot install osx).

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 148
  • Clover_Install_Log.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 199
I apologize if I should be over at nvme-spoof thread, but since these machines should be very similar, I'm here.
I followed the guide and can get it working on an internal SSD, but I'm having trouble with the nvme.

I have a BPX MyDigitalSSD NVMe PCIe 3.0 MDNVME80-BPX-0312. NUC7i3bnh.

I have tried tons of stuff, but at the core, am adding only:
config_install_nuc7.plist --> EFI/CLOVER/config.plist //with name-change
SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml --> EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/
and the kexts:
FakeSMC.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext
HackrNVMe..12_5.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
// all kexts to Other
// Internet is working.

And the HFSPlus.efi --> EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI

My Windows Boot gave me PCI Paths..
[Device Name]
\_SB.PCI0.RP09.PXSX
[Location Paths]
PCIROOT(O)#PCI(ID00)#PCI(0000)
ACPCI(_SB_)#ACPI(PCI0)#ACPI(RP09)#ACPCI(DXSX)

Changing the RP13 to RP09 (in both appearances) didn't work, so I tried naming it etc (fail).
Modifying as told, adding SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml to .../patched
Did not modify
Should I be changing something in the config.plist file as well? The directions are extremely verbose with loops and I'm having trouble understanding them.

I do have USB's attached and enabled (bios) at the headers. Not sure if that is an issue. Ubuntu (currently on the nvme drive) works fine, and whilst Clover can see the nvme, OSX cannot (and thus cannot install osx).

Your HackrNVMeFamily is wrong... you forgot to use the --spoof flag.

Also, if this is for installation (using config_install.plist), SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml is missing from SortedOrder.
If you have already installed, keep in mind you must install HackrNVMe to the system volume (EFI/Clover/kexts don't load in that scenario because FakeSMC.kext is already installed).

FYI: Added SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml to the config*install.plist files... so there is one less thing for people to forget.

Last edited:
Great thread, I'm considering buying one. Any ideas how to fix wifi? What card to buy?

Great thread, I'm considering buying one. Any ideas how to fix wifi? What card to buy?

The only easy option would be USB WiFi.
There may be some recommendations in the Buyer's Guide. USB WiFi tends to be a horrible experience due to poorly written software drivers.

The other way would be to use some sort of adapter to connect an M.2 WiFi card, such as BCM94352Z (the slots are M.2 2280, most WiFi are M.2 2230). Then you would, of course, need to use a 2.5" SATA SSD for the system drive, not M.2.

Hi,

I have installed macOS Sierra using your guide on a NUC7i5BNH. The BIOS version on the unit is v45.

While USB devices which are connected to the USB-C connector might work (I don't have any), this doesn't seem to be the case with Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 2 (using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter). When booting into Windows 10 everything is fine and an external TB3 HDD drive array as well as a Belkin (Mac) Thunderbolt 2 dock iare being recognised and usable. When 'restarting' the NUC and booting into MacOS, System Report reports under Thunderbolt "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded."

Can anybody confirm that they are using Thunderbolt on their NUC7 and the required driver is actually shown as loaded in the System Report ? I'm specifically asking since a lot of people don't seem to realise that their USB-C device actually isn't a Thunderbolt device.

On a desktop computer which I ran macOS on for some time I had to set Thunderbolt to 'Legacy' mode in the BIOS/UEFI, a function that is not present in the NUC7 BIOS (unless there are some hidden items to activate somewhere)...

In short. Is there anything I can do to/somebody is willing to do to help solve this issue ?

Thanks,
Roel

Hi,

I have installed macOS Sierra using your guide on a NUC7i5BNH. The BIOS version on the unit is v45.

While USB devices which are connected to the USB-C connector might work (I don't have any), this doesn't seem to be the case with Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 2 (using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter). When booting into Windows 10 everything is fine and an external TB3 HDD drive array as well as a Belkin (Mac) Thunderbolt 2 dock iare being recognised and usable. When 'restarting' the NUC and booting into MacOS, System Report reports under Thunderbolt "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded."

Can anybody confirm that they are using Thunderbolt on their NUC7 and the required driver is actually shown as loaded in the System Report ? I'm specifically asking since a lot of people don't seem to realise that their USB-C device actually isn't a Thunderbolt device.

On a desktop computer which I ran macOS on for some time I had to set Thunderbolt to 'Legacy' mode in the BIOS/UEFI, a function that is not present in the NUC7 BIOS (unless there are some hidden items to activate somewhere)...

In short. Is there anything I can do to/somebody is willing to do to help solve this issue ?

Thanks,
Roel

Did you plug in the device prior to booting?
The Thunderbolt controller doesn't show on the PCIe bus unless something is plugged in. Some sort of PCIe hotplug issue. But if you have something plugged in, you will see the TB controller in ioreg.

I'm sure there is a fix for that, but haven't looked into it seriously yet (I don't really need the port, very few TB/USB-C devices here)

Did you plug in the device prior to booting?

Yes.. I've tried with both Thunderbolt devices I have. From a cold boot as well as from simply 'restarting' from Windows 10 (where thunderbolt is functional) and booting into MacOS without powering down the unit first.

Thanks,
Roel

Yes.. I've tried with both Thunderbolt devices I have. From a cold boot as well as from simply 'restarting' from Windows 10 (where thunderbolt is functional) and booting into MacOS without powering down the unit first.

Thanks,
Roel

You should check what you see in ioreg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back