Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 15 5570
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
I have the 7i3BNH. thanks, RehabMan--the guide is perfect.
I'm currently using the HDMI port for video and audio, but I want to buy a usb-c to HDMI cable and then upgrade to a 4K TV. such cables I've looked at say that DisplayPort Alternate Mode is required for 4K60. I can't learn anything from intel's spec sheet about "alternate mode". the i3 doesn't have thunderbolt.
any advice?
thanks

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi,

Everything went so smooth for months until today. Now I am unable to boot. The Apple loading screen appears, it loads and then the Nuc shuts down. I remember that before turning off the computer I checked the box where it says to open the windows at the next boot and save the stuff. Now I am unable to boot.
Also I updated it 2 or 3 weeks ago exactly as it was stated in the guide. Absolutely no problem until now (tens of reboots and boots in these 2-3 weeks).
I am on Sierra.

Attachments

Last edited:

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi,

Everything went so smooth for months until today. Now I am unable to boot. The Apple loading screen appears, it loads and then the Nuc shuts down. I remember that before turning off the computer I checked the box where it says to open the windows at the next boot and save the stuff. Now I am unable to boot.
Also I updated it 2 or 3 weeks ago exactly as it was stated in the guide. Absolutely no problem until now (tens of reboots and boots in these 2-3 weeks).
I am on Sierra.
Looks like your system volume is corrupt/damaged.
You can try to repair it from Disk Utility (boot the installer from USB), or maybe from Recovery.
If it can't be repaired, restore from backup or fresh install.

Note: The most common cause of file system corruption comes from using software on Windows (Paragon/etc) to access Mac volumes. Make sure you're not using that software.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Looks like your system volume is corrupt/damaged.
You can try to repair it from Disk Utility (boot the installer from USB), or maybe from Recovery.
If it can't be repaired, restore from backup or fresh install.

Note: The most common cause of file system corruption comes from using software on Windows (Paragon/etc) to access Mac volumes. Make sure you're not using that software.
I have never tried this. I only have Mac installed on it. The problem I have now is that in Disk Utility (boot from USB) it freezes, it remains as it is shown in the screeshot for hours. So most probably I need a fresh install.

2 quick questions:

1) Could it be because of a cracked program I installed?
2) Will I be able to preserve my /home partition in the envent of a freash install?

Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
SE
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@ttavyy
Just want to say that for rebuilding the fixing (i.e. rebuilding) the filesystem of a HFS+ drive I wholeheartedly recommend DiskWarrior (they are working on a version that supports APFS) which is much better than Disk Utility at fixing file system problems.

If you can connect your drive to another computer and run DiskWarrior on it it might help fixing things.
But there's of course no guarantee it will work in your case – maybe the damage is too severe.

Good luck anyhow! :)

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi,

I fixed it. Fresh install. Thank you for your support! After using your script, do I still need the essential kexts (FakeSMC, IntelGraph, IntelMausi,LiLu, USBInjectAll) to be present in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/OTHER or they should get installed in /System/Library/Extensions? As can be seen in the screenshot, there are many in that location.

Attachments

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
After trying to shut it down, it restarted and here is how it looks like. Even more strange, the usb stick drive I used to install it, is not shown when is plugged no matter what USB port it uses.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
After trying to shut it down, it restarted and here is how it looks like. Even stranger, the usb stick drive I used to install it, is not shown when is plugged no matter what USB port it uses.
Ok. This should be because I forgot to add HFSPlus.efi in CLOVER/drivers64UEFI, but I wonder why I can’t boot from the USB (drive not shown in clover). Is there any way I can add the file there or make clover show the usb drive?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi,

I fixed it. Fresh install. Thank you for your support! After using your script, do I still need the essential kexts (FakeSMC, IntelGraph, IntelMausi,LiLu, USBInjectAll) to be present in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/OTHER or they should get installed in /System/Library/Extensions? As can be seen in the screenshot, there are many in that location.
download.sh and install_downloads.sh takes care of installing/copying kexts to the correct location(s).
Just follow post #1.
If you're curious you can examine the script and/or results to see what it does.

After trying to shut it down, it restarted and here is how it looks like. Even more strange, the usb stick drive I used to install it, is not shown when is plugged no matter what USB port it uses.
Ok. This should be because I forgot to add HFSPlus.efi in CLOVER/drivers64UEFI, but I wonder why I can’t boot from the USB (drive not shown in clover). Is there any way I can add the file there or make clover show the usb drive?
You probably forgot HFSPlus.efi and/or apfs.efi in drivers64UEFI.
Make sure you follow the guide carefully.