Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
When setting the product name to iMac16,2 it's possible to use the power on/off button on a DisplayPort mini connected monitor at any time without it the system freezing up etc (even while playing a video, it normally recovers including audio over DisplayPort).. The negative side however is that I can no longer use resolutions above 2560x1440. If I force higher resolutions (such as 3840x2160 60 hz), the display simply looses it's signal (goes into standby mode). I've played around using SwitchResX, but there is nothing I can force with getting back an actual signal to the monitor so far. Is there anything I can try other than changing the product name in SMBIOS, since I really love being able to switch of the monitor at any time finally. Any reply will be tremendously appreciated.
Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Motherboard
Intel NUC7i3BNH
CPU
i3-7100U
Graphics
Integrated
Mobile Phone
Android
Mr RehabMan, you are a star. Everything I need is now working fine; even HDMI audio, which was reluctant to start. Could never get any audio working using UniBeast/MultiBeast.

Even this i3 NUC with 8 GB RAM seems pretty speedy.

If you have a tip jar, I shall leave something in it. Thanks again.

Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
GTX 1060 FE / RX 570
Just curious if anyone has attempted to use an EGPU with this setup.
I have an akitio Node (gtx 960 inside) that works great with my macbook air. on 10.12.6
Install went great following Rehabs tutorial. Audio and graphics working great via HDMI.
My 1 issue is thunderbolt.

system profiler says: Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded..???

Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9570 (Clover UEFI)
CPU
i7-8750H/CM246
Graphics
UHD 630/1050Ti Max-Q, 3840x2160
Mobile Phone
iOS
Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".
I will do so if the problem persists after the upgrade to High Sierra (as it will likely use updated native GPU drivers which might fix the issue I'm having). For now it's important to know that using the iMac16,2 profile in 'Sierra' seems to solve all DP hot plug previously existing DP hot plug issues !

Motherboard
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
GTX 1060 FE / RX 570
IOREG attached...

Does anyone have their thunderbolt port working?
system profiler is reporting - Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded

Attachments

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8750H/CM246
Graphics
Mobile Phone
iOS
Enable ‘Thunderbolt Boot’ in the BIOS and storage devices (including e.g. a 4 HDD TB3 drive array) will work as long as they are plugged in when the system is powered on. You might have to run Windows once prior to doing this and install the latest TB firmware.

So.. No hot plugging is supported, nor will any thunderbolt docks etc work. It’s purely mass storage support via the BIOS.

Other than that USB-C devices work fine. It’s not what you asked, but it’s the same port, so it’s worth mentioning.

I have some hopes that High Sierra might solve the thunderbolt issues.... for now I’m happy with Sierra and don’t feel like experimenting until the first guide shows up.

IOREG attached...

Does anyone have their thunderbolt port working?
system profiler is reporting - Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
GTX 1060 FE / RX 570
Enable ‘Thunderbolt Boot’ in the BIOS and storage devices (including e.g. a 4 HDD TB3 drive array) will work as long as they are plugged in when the system is powered on. You might have to run Windows once prior to doing this and install the latest TB firmware.

So.. No hot plugging is supported, nor will any thunderbolt docks etc work. It’s purely mass storage support via the BIOS.

Other than that USB-C devices work fine. It’s not what you asked, but it’s the same port, so it’s worth mentioning.

I have some hopes that High Sierra might solve the thunderbolt issues.... for now I’m happy with Sierra and don’t feel like experimenting until the first guide shows up.
Thanks for the reply... im going to change bios as you stated.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8750H/CM246
Graphics
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks for the reply... im going to change bios as you stated.
Should TB work as it should in High Sierra, you might have to change back the BIOS setting for the native drivers to work. Just something to remember should the day come :)

Motherboard
Intel NUC7i3BNH
CPU
i3-7100U
Graphics
Integrated
Mobile Phone
Android
I was curious if anyone was using this model as a headless PC and whether they had audio working?

HDMI audio works fine if it's plugged into the monitor, but not remotely. I thought a headless adapter would fix this, but it didn't. Neither did an update to the latest Bios.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
I was curious if anyone was using this model as a headless PC and whether they had audio working?

HDMI audio works fine if it's plugged into the monitor, but not remotely. I thought a headless adapter would fix this, but it didn't. Neither did an update to the latest Bios.
Try with onboard audio.