Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel IGPU HDMI/DP audio (all Sandy Bridge -> Kaby Lake [and likely later])

- I'm using 0x59160000 designated in Clover since it's an HD620 system. 0x591b000000 causes a restart on connecting an external monitor. This displays in IOReg as <00 00 16 59> for whatever reason, but all functions aside from HDMI audio work correctly with this.
- It's connected to @1
- Did that, and found <00 00 16 59> at offset 937672 in AppleIntelKBLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext
- At 937732 there is <01 05 09 00 00 04 00 00>
- I wrote a patch in Clover to replace <01 05 09 00 00 00 04 00 00 87 01 00 00> with <01 05 09 00 00 00 08 00 00 87 01 00 00> in com.apple.driver.AppleKBLGraphicsFramebuffer

Now this is where it gets weird.
The patch takes effect correctly, and on boot @1 shows <00 08 00 00> as expected.
However, after I connect the HDMI cable to my TV, it changes back to <00 04 00 00>. Booting with the HDMI cable connected produces the same results, it stays on <00 04 00 00>

I've attached my config.plist as well as two IOReg files - One before I connect the HDMI cable, and one after.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm at a sticking point now. Every other piece seems to be in place, but i've still got no audio and this definitely seems wrong.

Thanks

As an aside, you might want to mention a couple of things you've said here in your guide, such as which kext you should be looking in with the hex editor, where the values you're talking about are relative to the ig-platform-id, that the ig-platform-id is flipped compared to what you set in clover (12345678 is 78563412) etc, and how to implement the value patch in clover yourself. The guide simply states to use the premade config file for your platform, but since some platforms don't have this information, it's extremely unclear.

Your config.plist is wrong. It is missing the HECI->IMEI patch.
See guide for valid plists with common rename patches in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Your config.plist is wrong. It is missing the HECI->IMEI patch.
See guide for valid plists with common rename patches in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Thanks, enabled that but I'm still having exactly the same problem. I've added the rest of the recommended patches, and nothing has changed.

Is there any info anywhere on what those patches are needed for / what they do? I'm interested to know in the effect they actually have, and it isn't listed as neccesary in this guide. A quick google couldn't find anything clear

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.8 KB · Views: 291
  • Fresh Boot IOReg.zip
    531.7 KB · Views: 80
  • HDMI Monitor Connected IOReg.zip
    544.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Thanks, enabled that but I'm still having exactly the same problem. I've added the rest of the recommended patches, and nothing has changed.

Is there any info anywhere on what those patches are needed for / what they do? I'm interested to know in the effect they actually have, and it isn't listed as neccesary in this guide. A quick google couldn't find anything clear

You might want to try without FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext (some computers need it, some don't... must test both ways).

You might want to try without FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext (some computers need it, some don't... must test both ways).

Success!

After disabling that everything seems to be working. I had read another thread where that was suggested, and I could've sworn I tried that last night after patching 04/08 without any difference, but it's definitely fixed it for me tonight.

Interestingly however, the connector-type in @1 is showing as <00 04 00 00> with the cable connected.

Thanks a ton for the help, it's much appreciated!

EDIT: Disabled everything else I changed to test - the combination of the 04/08 patch and no FakePCIID was the solution. I was positive I'd tried that last night, lol.

Last edited:
after checking all the prerequisites, still no sound device for HDMI/DP

hd4600 Haswell

update: i'll try without FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext

update2: removing FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext did give me audio output for dp ports, however still no audio for hdmi.
also, sound quality through dp is pretty bad, to say choppy at least.
debug_18705 is a dump with hdmi plugged in.

and my acpi table does not contain a HECI device
(grep -Ry "HECI" /Users/derek/Desktop/18705/debug_18705/patchmatic_extraction/ returns no output)

connector type are patched and matching

Attachments

• debug_18705.zip
    7.1 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
after checking all the prerequisites, still no sound device for HDMI/DP

hd4600 Haswell

update: i'll try without FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext

update2: removing FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext did give me audio output for dp ports, however still no audio for hdmi.
also, sound quality through dp is pretty bad, to say choppy at least.
debug_18705 is a dump with hdmi plugged in.

and my acpi table does not contain a HECI device
(grep -Ry "HECI" /Users/derek/Desktop/18705/debug_18705/patchmatic_extraction/ returns no output)

connector type are patched and matching

Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:

HECI is renamed to IMEI in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches, which is why you don't see it in patchmatic output.
Look in native, or look for IMEI (can be seen easily in ioreg).

[Solved] I've been trying to get audio to work on my laptop for 2 weeks now. I had it working for 2 power cycles, then either I deleted something or modified my config in my sleep.

I run platform-id 0x19160000 with 13.1SMBOIS the computer works great, and connects to HDMI, but audio is only on-board. If I change to platform-id to 0x19120000 as most of the post discuss then the main screen is blank but HDMI and HDMI audio work fine. I can change back to the on-board speakers if I want.

Can someone help me out? Do I need to change my SMBIOS as well as the platform-id? IOREG1916 and 1912 are with only the platform-id change using the same Clover.

Cheers

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I've been trying to get audio to work on my laptop for 2 weeks now. I had it working for 2 power cycles, then either I deleted something or modified my config in my sleep.

I run platform-id 0x19160000 with 13.1SMBOIS the computer works great, and connects to HDMI, but audio is only on-board. If I change to platform-id to 0x19120000 as most of the post discuss then the main screen is blank but HDMI and HDMI audio work fine. I can change back to the on-board speakers if I want.

Can someone help me out? Do I need to change my SMBIOS as well as the platform-id? IOREG1916 and 1912 are with only the platform-id change using the same Clover.

Cheers

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Attachments

• debug_Lenovo.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 85
You must have a shell script that sends out that response. :) Here is my files from the debug script..

Thanks for your time..

The ioreg you attached shows no HDMI/DP device connected.
No expectation of HDMI/DP audio without an HDMI/DP device connected.

Back