Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Intel HD Graphics 5500 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have good news about my notebook. I found the way to fix error that "Dedicated Video Memory" ALWAYS SHOWS ZERO (Dedicated Video Memory = 0)(or Dedicated Video Memory = 128/192). I hope it will be useful for some members in here.
You encounter that error because your graphic drivers ISN'T RIGHT. You should fix or reinstall your driver:

0) Remove all graphics Drivers. (Included in "Device Manage").
1) Start booting Windows with "Advanced Startup Options" at boot. (Hold Shift and click Restart for Windows 8/8.1/10).
Read more: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html
2) Select "Disable driver signature enforcement".
3) Try to reinstall Your drivers.

Now, you will see Dedicated Video Memory = 0/32/64/128. In my case, it shows "Dedicated Video Memory = 128".

Update:
1, I successfully changed VRAM from 32mb to 96mb by using Ubuntu. See attachment if you interested.
2, I recommend this:
- Windows 8.1 x64. (Do not use Windows 10 at this time).
- Intel Driver 15.36.19.64.4170.(Do not use other versions of Intel driver, it will show "Dedicated Video Memory" incorrectly).
Link download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit

Attachments

• Guide change vram on Linux.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 342
Hi,

Firstly, I would like to thank all of you that made it possible to run Yosemite on Intel HD5500.
I am posting this because I have encountered a problem in loading graphic drivers (making the graphics laggy) and thought that maybe anyone here had a similar problem. I have successfully patched AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer and gone through the kernel panic, though.

I get this error in /private/var/log/system.log:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]kernel[0]: [IGPU] Graphics driver failed to load: could not register with Framebuffer driver![/COLOR]

The original thread of making Yosemite run on T450s is located here.

Thank you Austere.J for the guide, I am eager to get to work on my XPS13 9343. I have a few questions about the guide, following Step 2.2:

"(1) Prepare a bootable USB drive with EFI Shell. Prepare a USB stick and format it with FAT32 filesystem. Download this EFI shell and you can find a folder named BOOT after extracting. Copy this BOOT folder to your USB stick."

Question 1: Do I need to create a complete bootable Windows 8.1 installation USB drive and then copy the EFI Shell BOOT folder to it or just create a bootable USB drive that only contains the EFI Shell BOOT folder and nothing else?

"Next, restart your computer and boot from the USB drive with EFI Shell. Here, we use setup_var command to change our BIOS settings."

Question 2: Thanks to justcme, I have the necessary DVMT Pre-Allocated settings to change my to the change the DVMT to either 64MB or 128MB. That said, I do not know how to lauch the EFI Shell from the USB drive I created to use the setup_var command to change my BIOS. I have been hitting F12 and selecting the USB drive to boot from, but cannot seem to get to the EFI Shell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Austere.J for the guide, I am eager to get to work on my XPS13 9343. I have a few questions about the guide, following Step 2.2:

"(1) Prepare a bootable USB drive with EFI Shell. Prepare a USB stick and format it with FAT32 filesystem. Download this EFI shell and you can find a folder named BOOT after extracting. Copy this BOOT folder to your USB stick."

Question 1: Do I need to create a complete bootable Windows 8.1 installation USB drive and then copy the EFI Shell BOOT folder to it or just create a bootable USB drive that only contains the EFI Shell BOOT folder and nothing else?

"Next, restart your computer and boot from the USB drive with EFI Shell. Here, we use setup_var command to change our BIOS settings."

Question 2: Thanks to justcme, I have the necessary DVMT Pre-Allocated settings to change my to the change the DVMT to either 64MB or 128MB. That said, I do not know how to lauch the EFI Shell from the USB drive I created to use the setup_var command to change my BIOS. I have been hitting F12 and selecting the USB drive to boot from, but cannot seem to get to the EFI Shell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the option in BIOS to set it to 128MB, do that first instead of trying to set via UEFI shell.

If you have the option in BIOS to set it to 128MB, do that first instead of trying to set via UEFI shell.

Unfortunately there is no such option on the 2015 Dell XPS13 9343.

Unfortunately there is no such option on the 2015 Dell XPS13 9343.

I think I misunderstood what you meant by:

I have the necessary DVMT Pre-Allocated settings to change my to the change the DVMT to either 64MB or 128MB.

I think I misunderstood what you meant by:

Per justcme's post (I have the same machine with the same bios version), there are 2 DVMT Pre-Allocated setting entries with the variable addresses (0x183) and (0x184) that need to be changed. I need to know how to boot into EFI Shell on the USB drive I created in order to execute the necessary commands:

grub> setup_var 0x183 0x3 for 64MB (or use 0x4 for 128MB)
grub> setup_var 0x184 0x3 for 64MB (or use 0x4 for 128MB)

Once I do this and confirm the settings are correct in Windows, I will proceed to install Yosemite with Clover UEFI following your guide.

Per justcme's post (I have the same machine with the same bios version), there are 2 DVMT Pre-Allocated setting entries with the variable addresses (0x183) and (0x184) that need to be changed. I need to know how to boot into EFI Shell on the USB drive I created in order to execute the necessary commands:

grub> setup_var 0x183 0x3 for 64MB (or use 0x4 for 128MB)
grub> setup_var 0x184 0x3 for 64MB (or use 0x4 for 128MB)

Once I do this and confirm the settings are correct in Windows, I will proceed to install Yosemite with Clover UEFI following your guide.

Solved! The guide is great, but leaves out a small detail. It says " Download this EFI shell and you can find a folder named BOOT after extracting. Copy this BOOT folder to your USB stick."

You actually need to create a folder named EFI on your USB stick and then copy the BOOT folder into the EFI folder on your USB stick. Once I did that, it booted into the EFI Shell and I could execute the setup_var commands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back