Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

update: i also run setup_var 0x2C5, it's also not giving me any value.

does it means i need to update my bios from windows using the installer i got from the sony website first before attempting to change this setup variable value?

Try setup_var2 and setup_var3 instead of setup_var. Try standard efi shell from here

Try setup_var2 and setup_var3 instead of setup_var. Try standard efi shell from here
Dear eugene, unfortunately, I have not had any luck. :(

I executed following possibilities:
- standard efi shell setup_var result in Looking for Setup variable... empty result
- standard efi shell setup_var2 result in Looking for Setup variable... empty result
- standard efi shell setup_var3 doesn't know what setup_var3 command
- mod grub efi shell setup_var result in Looking for Setup variable... empty result
- mod grub efi shell setup_var2 result in Looking for Setup variable... empty result
- mod grub efi shell setup_var3 doesn't know what setup_var3 command

I'll try to install windows then upgrade my bios using bios exe i gave you. Maybe that will help.

I'll try to install windows then upgrade my bios using bios exe i gave you. Maybe that will help.
Certainly values taken from rom file provided.
P.S. Rom and Cap files are identical!

Hi Eugene, can i ask you one more favour to help me read the value out of this rom file? It's my current bios backup that i extract using Universal Backup BIOS toolkit. I've followed the this tutorial but IFR extractor keep saying "Unknown protocol detected". Thank you so much for your help so far.

This way hopefully i get to know if 0x92 is actually bios lock offset in my current BIOS.

Update, i've successfully get similar txt file you sent me eariler. And bios lock is 0x92 as you mentioned in my bios. can you please re evaluate if my current bios dump has more problem than dvmt memory being set 32MB?

Attachments

• AmericanMegatrendsInc.-R1044V7.rom.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 75
  • setupfreeform IFR.txt
    812.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Update:

Actually i managed to change the bios lock and dvmt memory. But i have no way to confirm if that change actually take place. My mistake was i didn't boot UEFI when i run setup_var command.

Good news so far, my laptop is not bricked. I can boot alright and if I boot to grub mod shell and issue setup_var command on 0x92 and 0x2C5 their values have changed. Regardless i'm attaching my BIOS backup after I changed those 2 values. Please feel free to let me know if i managed to change those BIOS setting.

Then I boot uefi to hackintosh with the attached plist using device id and platform id 0c00160a. I'm getting no QE/CI 7MB VRAM and in ioreg it's not using azul controller.
1592637812472.png

Compared to if i use 0412 device id here:
1592637861548.png

But as i mentioned, i'm able to get this from the screenshot. Because what i actually see on my laptop is the glitch.

update:
I noticed something else, i can't boot to macOS using the old patched SSDT i had under /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder anymore. It's giving me kernel panic and restart. So i omit those SSDTs and mark DropOEM as false in the attached config plist.

Attachments

• R1044V7_after.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 79
  • config_0a16000c.plist
    5.7 KB · Views: 96
Good news so far, my laptop is not bricked. I can boot alright and if I boot to grub mod shell and issue setup_var command on 0x92 and 0x2C5 their values have changed.
Well. If you issue command setup_var 0x92 and value 0x0 comesup that means you have chaged it. Same for DVMT.
Then I boot uefi to hackintosh with the attached plist using device id and platform id 0c00160a.
You are using wrong framebuffer. Should use the other two.
No need for device ID
Screenshot 2020-06-20 at 09.31.54.png

or 0500260A

Last edited:
Well. If you issue command setup_var 0x92 and value 0x0 comesup that means you have chaged it. Same for DVMT.
Yes, i can confirm they have changed.
I just tried to use the other 2, same graphic glitch i saw without changing DVMT memory pre allocation to 64MB.

No need for device ID
View attachment 477163
or 0500260A
Tried not changing device id and apply 0600260A platform id. no glitch but only 7MB VRAM no QE/CI
Tried not changing device id and apply 0500260A platform id. no glitch but only 7MB VRAM no QE/CI

Both configuration use 0a16 device id in ioreg which doesn't use azul controller under IGPU section unfortunately.

No need for device ID
View attachment 477163
or 0500260A
Bad news, i just notice something. when i query setup_var 0x398 for Launch CSM. it's returning 0x00. So i change it to 0x01 using setup_var 0x398 0x1, setup_var2 0x398 0x1, setup_var_3 0x398 0x1. Everytime i restart i query the value, it comes back to 0x00. From the BIOS exe i gave you first time, CSM is enabled by default yes? I'll try to install the BIOS update this time around.

Update: I've already installed the BIOS update. I've confirm BIOS version has changed from BIOS setting page. Launch CSM value is still 0x00. Even though i've changed it to 0x01, when i restart, the values goes back to 0x00. :(

I changed BIOS lock 0x92 to 0x00 first before attempting to change the Launch CSM value. Change is not persisted regardless.

Well i know my problem now. Thanks Eugene for being so patient guiding me and teaching me new stuff like BIOS setting from efi shell. This is whole new world for me. I'll do some more research in how to change this stuborn Launch CSM value on my laptop.

Last edited:
Bad news, i just notice something. when i query setup_var 0x398 for Launch CSM. it's returning 0x00. So i change it to 0x01 using setup_var 0x398 0x1, setup_var2 0x398 0x1, setup_var_3 0x398 0x1. Everytime i restart i query the value, it comes back to 0x00. From the BIOS exe i gave you first time, CSM is enabled by default yes? I'll try to install the BIOS update this time around.

Update: I've already installed the BIOS update. I've confirm BIOS version has changed from BIOS setting page. Launch CSM value is still 0x00. Even though i've changed it to 0x01, when i restart, the values goes back to 0x00. :(

I changed BIOS lock 0x92 to 0x00 first before attempting to change the Launch CSM value. Change is not persisted regardless.

Well i know my problem now. Thanks Eugene for being so patient guiding me and teaching me new stuff like BIOS setting from efi shell. This is whole new world for me. I'll do some more research in how to change this stuborn Launch CSM value on my laptop.
Read my post again here. It seams you lost what you are changing and what need to be changed. Bios update must be done in first place.

Back