Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

This is how your connectors' patch should look like in PlistEditor.
View attachment 476389
Hi Eugene, thanks for your prompt reply, I replicated your table but I have black screen at boot (not restart, the system is running but just with no screen output):
Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 18.54.00.png

Before I tried this configuration, that gives me screen output but sleep is still not working:
Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 18.55.06.png

There is something else I could try?

Regards

Hi Eugene, thanks for your prompt reply, I replicated your table but I have black screen at boot (not restart, the system is running but just with no screen output):
View attachment 476597

Before I tried this configuration, that gives me screen output but sleep is still not working:
View attachment 476598

Regards
Sleep problem may not be video connector related. Is your usb ports correctly setup?

Sleep problem may not be video connector related. Is your usb ports correctly setup?
View attachment 476597

View attachment 476598

Regards
I thought the sleep problem was framebuffer patching or USB related but have patched USB (e.g. with hackintool) It turned out to be my NVMe drive that had problems with sleep. Fixed with nvmefix.kext. That is if you are running the OS on a NVMe drive. Found that out when sleep problems did not occur booting from SATA. I am running OpenCore 0.5.9 but that should not be different to Clover.

USB are running fine but I don't know if they produce the sleep issue, I applied this USB patches with multibeast right after install, they are enough?

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 20.38.43.png

What I should expect with a well done Framebuffer patch? single HDMI and VGA output? multi monitor?.

Thanks for your help.

I thought the sleep problem was framebuffer patching or USB related but have patched USB (e.g. with hackintool) It turned out to be my NVMe drive that had problems with sleep. Fixed with nvmefix.kext. That is if you are running the OS on a NVMe drive. Found that out when sleep problems did not occur booting from SATA. I am running OpenCore 0.5.9 but that should not be different to Clover.
Hi asleb, I don't have NVMe ports in my motherboard, just SATA. Should be Framebuffer or USB, but I don't know how to fix them.

Thanks for your help!

I do not have experience with legacy hackintosh. It seems you need to change few more setting in Clover config. More your drivers from drivers/Uefi into drivers/Bios if you have not done so already. You would get more luck with Mojave.

Universal Bios Backup for Windows only.

Please get me factory bios image from Sony's support page for now.
Apology for not replying quickly, work is crazy these few days. I'm not sure which file you need from the bios. I have .rom file from extraction, and i have .bin file which is bios region section in UEFI tool. Also the .CAP file i extract those 2 files from. I'm attaching 3 of them.

Again thank you so much for looking into this. I don't know how to read bios setting from bios image so, please let me know if you find locked bios setting that potentially break my mac os graphic.

Update:
More your drivers from drivers/Uefi into drivers/Bios if you have not done so already.
I did move them previously, still not fixing my issue :(

Attachments

• biosregion.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 69
  • V710450B.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 63
  • VAIO BIOS.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 66
View attachment 476597

View attachment 476598

Regards
You might try to combine both options to make one. Search for "framebuffer patching with hackintool" how to make it right.

Last edited:
USB are running fine but I don't know if they produce the sleep issue, I applied this USB patches with multibeast right after install, they are enough?

View attachment 476833

What I should expect with a well done Framebuffer patch? single HDMI and VGA output? multi monitor?.

Thanks for your help.
I do not know what these patches do. I've read over russian forums no one defeat sleep problems on Intel HD 530. I can not see XHCI-unsupported.kext and USBInjectAll.kext in your kext folder. No ACPI patches like: SSDT-XOSI, SSDT-EC-USBX. Google for Dortania Desktop guide for Skylake to get more info. It is Opencore related, but got plenty info about drivers, framebuffers and ACPI tables needed.

Last edited:
Apology for not replying quickly, work is crazy these few days. I'm not sure which file you need from the bios. I have .rom file from extraction, and i have .bin file which is bios region section in UEFI tool. Also the .CAP file i extract those 2 files from. I'm attaching 3 of them.

Again thank you so much for looking into this. I don't know how to read bios setting from bios image so, please let me know if you find locked bios setting that potentially break my mac os graphic.

Update:

I did move them previously, still not fixing my issue :(
I have looked at your bios settings and found CSM is enabled by default.
csm.jpg

So you need to use UEFI mode. Bad thing is you have DVMT 32MB only allocated.
dvmt.jpg

The good thing is you can change some values using setup_var command within uefishell. See more info here.
Your values are:
BIOS Lock VarOffset - 0x92 value 0x0 (to disable). You need to unlock it in order to flash modded bios.
DVMT VarOffset - 0x2C5 value 0x2 (to change for 64MB). This is needed to use framebuffers below without patches.
Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 23.31.14.png

I am attaching setup_extr.txt for you bios where you can find these values. modGRUBShell is a modified efishell.
Read article carefully and mind risk involved.
Write "setup_var 0x92" to read value. Should come up with 0x1.
write "setup_var 0x92 0x0" without quotes to change variable. There is risk involved in breaking you laptop if you write incorrect values. So best thing is to dump full bios backup before.
If you don't want to risk just use framebuffer patches for 32mb.
P.S. You can format usb flashdrive with GUID partition table and move/rename modGRUBShell to EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi and boot off efi usb, instead of creating dos bootable usb.

Attachments

• setup_extr.txt
    1 MB · Views: 246
  • modGRUBShell.efi
    5.3 MB · Views: 115
I have looked at your bios settings and found CSM is enabled by default.
View attachment 476975
So you need to use UEFI mode. Bad thing is you have DVMT 32MB only allocated.
View attachment 476976
The good thing is you can change some values using setup_var command within uefishell. See more info here.
Your values are:
BIOS Lock VarOffset - 0x92 value 0x0 (to disable). You need to unlock it in order to flash modded bios.
DVMT VarOffset - 0x2C5 value 0x2 (to change for 64MB). This is needed to use framebuffers below without patches.
View attachment 476977
I am attaching setup_extr.txt for you bios where you can find these values. modGRUBShell is a modified efishell.
Read article carefully and mind risk involved.
Write "setup_var 0x92" to read value. Should come up with 0x1.
write "setup_var 0x92 0x0" without quotes to change variable. There is risk involved in breaking you laptop if you write incorrect values. So best thing is to dump full bios backup before.
If you don't want to risk just use framebuffer patches for 32mb.
P.S. You can format usb flashdrive with GUID partition table and move/rename modGRUBShell to EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi and boot off efi usb, instead of creating dos bootable usb.
Wow, thank you so much for helping me read the bios values. I've just tried the mod grub shell on my laptop, however i'm not getting any value when I try to get bios lock value. am i skipping instruction?
1592535582780.png

update: i also run setup_var 0x2C5, it's also not giving me any value.

does it means i need to update my bios from windows using the installer i got from the sony website first before attempting to change this setup variable value?

Back