Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

Hello,

I am a huge fan of this forum.

I am having issues with my Dell Optiplex 7010. I have connected dual monitors on DP ports at the back. It seems that though the IntelHD4000 is detected with the right VRAM (Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB), but Metal is not loaded. I have attached two screenshots. One showing metal properly loaded and detecting both monitors. Second showing metal not being loaded and only single monitor detected.

I followed the hackintosh build guide at:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...plex-7010-9010-desktop-pc-revision-ii.251736/

This is my first time building a mackintosh and any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

First Screenshot: Metal loaded, dual monitors

GPU.png

Second Screenshot: No Metal, Single Monitor
NoMetal.png

Attachments

• debug_24467.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I was looking for a way to add that 1 MB to 4095 MB to make it 4096 MB. If this isn't actually 4095 MB, I'll revert back to 2048 MB.

@jaymonkey do you have any thoughts?
NVM...Bench scores are nearly the same across 2048 MB and 4095 MB. Changing back to 2048 MB.
Wow. This is interesting. Although bench scores are the same relatively, do you notice a difference in how videos are loaded when streaming? Does it make a difference in overall performance? Does it effect the battery life?

Wow. This is interesting. Although bench scores are the same relatively, do you notice a difference in how videos are loaded when streaming? Does it make a difference in overall performance? Does it effect the battery life?
It didn't have any noticeable changes. Videos worked fine, accelerating graphics with OpenGL seemed OK, brightness control, etc. Actually the overall score from GeekBench4 dropped by a couple scores from 2048 MB to 4095 MB. And to come up with something even more interesting, I accidentally set the unifiedmem data to be 00000001, thinking that it corresponds to 4096 Mb but it's actually 16 MB. It worked so smoothly with that big flat 16 MB in About this Mac and System Profiler, whereas haing incorrect ig-platform-id results in 7-10 MB of VRAM and several glitches. Haven't tested the bench scores though.

@Mrgeque,

As it states in the 4K Notes of the WhatEverGreen section of the Lilu Guide, the 2048MB VRAM patch will only be of benefit if your IGPU is driving dual 1080P monitors or a 4K Monitor / Internal display

If its a 4K display you should also use the -cdfon boot arg.

It has no real effect on battery life ..

Cheers
Jay

@Mrgeque,

As it states in the 4K Notes of the WhatEverGreen section of the Lilu Guide, the 2048MB VRAM patch will only be of benefit if your IGPU is driving dual 1080P monitors or a 4K Monitor / Internal display

If its a 4K display you should also use the -cdfon boot arg.

It has no real effect on battery life ..

Cheers
Jay
Thanks :) It all makes sense. I'll also have a look at that

You should always use lilu and weg anyways, imoo...
please can u share your config file u can remove the serial from sm bios I ned to double check if I have enabled my IGPU correctly I am using Vega along with IGPU

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.7 KB · Views: 176
Hiya, I'm having trouble identifying whether QuickSync is activated and working on my system. I ran the BruceX test but it mostly seems to end around 12~13 seconds, with a system that I believe should be capable of delivering the benchmark sub-10 seconds?

All tested with iMac19,1 SMBIOS
0x3E910003
0x3E920003
0x3E980003

My BIOS is set to Primary: PCI-E / 64MB Shared (tried 256MB, same result) / MultiMonitor Enabled.
9900K @ 5.0GHz All-Core

Kext are all up to date with KextUpdater.app.

I have attached my (stripped) Clover folder, in the hope that someone may be able to point out what I'm missing. I suppose that with the Vega64 8GB + QuickSync BruceX should complete under 10 seconds? I see people with a RX580 finishing sub-10sec. Is there a better test to see if QuickSync is enabled?

I also tried disabling the iGPU in the BIOS (but leaving Clover set up for iGPU + dGPU), and the score was around the same with 12 seconds. Note that even when disabled, it still shows up as a usable device in IOReg, Geekbench, etc., probably cause of the Clover entries(?). (update: This turned out to be because MultiMonitor was disabled, but there was still VRAM allocated. Setting to Auto resolves issue, but score remains identical).

What seems to be working:
iGPU is found as an entry in About This Mac > System Profiler > PCI, and in IOReg (attached)
dGPU is found as an entry in About This Mac > System Profiler > Graphics, and in IOReg
VideoProc shows acceleration. GeekBench4.2.2 shows both GPU's.

What doesn't seem to be working:
iGPU power indication (green line) in latest Intel Power Gadget;
QuickSync acceleration

@CaseySJ - I figured this would be the place to ask, rather than your Gigabyte Designare thread, or a new one; appreciate the great work!
@rj510 - I tried using your guidelines, but it didn't get me there, yet. Perhaps you can see a flaw?

Attachments

• CLOVER 27-5.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
  • IOReg 27-5.zip
    767.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
please can u share your config file u can remove the serial from sm bios I ned to double check if I have enabled my IGPU correctly I am using Vega along with IGPU
iGPU should be enabled in the BIOS (not in config.plist AFAIK). Let me know if you still want my config.plist

Back