Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

Hi Rashiki, I have exactly this board and CPU and this problem. But I also don’t get my DP connector to work either. Can you share your EFI folder or at least your config.plist to see what I am doing wrong? I would like to have your problem...

Thanks.

Here's the config.plist that works for me with DisplayPort. I've also tried playing around with the SMBIOS values.
iMac18,2 or iMac18,3 had glitchy graphics, but iMac18,1 seems fine.
Macmini8,1 booted up fine, but all USB ports were dead.

DisplayPort works only if I plug in a DP to DP cable. If I use the same port and plug in a DP to HDMI cable (same monitor, even, just a different input on the monitor), there's no signal. It makes me think MacOS is looking for some sort of handshake that only works over DP natively.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.9 KB · Views: 163
Some more info here: #77

Thanks for the prompt reply. I read your messages of 2015 but unfortunately I'm not so practical (retired 69-year-old apprentice) and I did not understand how to proceed. I put aside the Nvidia 1050 TI card causes known driver issues. only the IGPU HD 4600 and I can not make it work even with the DP cable but only HDMI 2048x1080 resolution otherwise flickers continuously. If you could give me a little (for you) but great (for me) help detailing the steps to do and possibly with kext, config and anything else attached I would be immensely grateful.

OK, well, there is a combination of still relevant and now (4 years later) outdated information in that thread, so let me sort it out for Jan 2019. Keep in mind that these are only things to try, there is too much variation in hardware to know in advance whether it will work or not. Also, any more detail than this is off-topic for this thread.

1) You need to use WhateverGreen in order to get the pixel-clock high enough for 4k, plus any kind of stability with DRM video. My recommendation is to install using Unibeast/Multibeast for Mojave.

2) Multibeast produces a Clover-based install, and the main point of configuration is Clover's 'config.plist' file. This is where the HD 4600 framebuffer patch will reside (see titus42's post, the lines from "<dict>" to "</dict>"). Those lines go into the "KextsToPatch" section of config.plist: you can use Xcode, Clover Configurator, a text editor, whatever is most comfortable. It all ends up with the same lines in config.plist.

This may take several tries and failures before you learn how to do it exactly right, or it may never work, so it would be safest and quickest to do it as an experiment on a small spare SSD before applying it to a working hackintosh (which would be more effort to reinstall). Enjoy the trial and error, that's the main amusement of fiddling with hackintoshes after all.

Is there any point of doing the Intel framebuffer patching if I'm using a dedicated Nvidia GPU?

Is there any point of doing the Intel framebuffer patching if I'm using a dedicated Nvidia GPU?
does everything work for you?

does everything work for you?
Yeah, but I read somewhere I think that you could somehow enable hardware encoding with the iGPU (disabled in BIOS now). Is that true, will this guide add that capability?

Yeah, but I read somewhere I think that you could somehow enable hardware encoding with the iGPU (disabled in BIOS now). Is that true, will this guide add that capability?

You could, but honestly you'd probably be better off just using ig-platform-id under graphics in clover. I have an i5 6600k/RX 480 8GB Hackintosh on 10.14.1 (SMBIOS 17,1) with hardware encoding enabled. My ig-platform-id is 0x19120001 to get that to work. For you, the equivalent would probably be 0x59120003 (use SMBIOS 18,3). However, if that doesn't work, try the different id on the first page under Kaby Lake.

Last edited:
You could, but honestly you'd probably be better off just using ig-platform-id under graphics in clover. I have an i5 6600k/RX 480 8GB Hackintosh on 10.14.1 (SMBIOS 17,1) with hardware encoding enabled. My ig-platform-id is 0x19120001 to get that to work. For you, the equivalent would probably be 0x59120003 (use SMBIOS 18,3). However, if that doesn't work, try the different id on the first page under Kaby Lake.
thanks, that worked beautifully.

OK, well, there is a combination of still relevant and now (4 years later) outdated information in that thread, so let me sort it out for Jan 2019. Keep in mind that these are only things to try, there is too much variation in hardware to know in advance whether it will work or not. Also, any more detail than this is off-topic for this thread.

1) You need to use WhateverGreen in order to get the pixel-clock high enough for 4k, plus any kind of stability with DRM video. My recommendation is to install using Unibeast/Multibeast for Mojave.

2) Multibeast produces a Clover-based install, and the main point of configuration is Clover's 'config.plist' file. This is where the HD 4600 framebuffer patch will reside (see titus42's post, the lines from "<dict>" to "</dict>"). Those lines go into the "KextsToPatch" section of config.plist: you can use Xcode, Clover Configurator, a text editor, whatever is most comfortable. It all ends up with the same lines in config.plist.

This may take several tries and failures before you learn how to do it exactly right, or it may never work, so it would be safest and quickest to do it as an experiment on a small spare SSD before applying it to a working hackintosh (which would be more effort to reinstall). Enjoy the trial and error, that's the main amusement of fiddling with hackintoshes after all.

Thank you Rael11,
with your precious help I managed the first shot.
Now everything ok.
As they say here in Naples "you have beer and pizza paid if you happen to be here"! and not only.
It 'a real pleasure to find people friendly and helpful ready to help those in need. And luckily these people in this forum are the great majority. even thanks for the other advice.

Back