Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

This is where I'm at now @RehabMan - wondered if you had any ideas?

System:
i7 6700 (HD530)
Gigabgyte GA-H170N (Mini ITX desktop)

Kexts:
FakeSMC
Lilu (Release)
WhateverGreen (Release)

The system boots and runs fine - IGFX is selected as the initial display output in the BIOS and shows the Apple logo / progress indicator during boot. 2/3 of the way through booting, signal is dropped from the IGFX display and carries on via the GTX760. No more signal from the IGFX but the 760 is fine.

I've used both my braincells and believe I've reversed the platform-id correctly:

0x19120000 >> 00001219

System Report shows my IGPU as "Intel HD Graphics SKL CRB" which, doesn't look right.

iMac_and_config_plist_and_EFI.jpg

Thanks,

Steve

System Report shows my IGPU as "Intel HD Graphics SKL CRB" which, doesn't look right.

It is normal. You can inject "model" to indicate your graphics cosmetic model if you want.
eg. Inject "model"="Intel HD Graphics 530".

Got it, thanks. Any thoughts as to why my HD530 IGFX is as dead as a dodo ?

Steve

Hi there, a few questions about the guide:

My graphics currently show Intel HD Graphics 530 7MB, is this the guide I follow to fix that?

Is this still in beta? Has it become any "safer" to follow these instructions?

Also, where do I find this (quoted below). In Library or System/Extensions or on my conflig.plist in clover configurator?

Preliminary
1. Remove:
- FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics
- IntelGraphicsFixup
- NvidiaGraphicsFixup
- CoreDisplayFixup
- Shiki
2. Turn off all graphics injections in Clover:
- config.plist/Graphics/Inject/ATI=NO
- config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Intel=NO
- config.plist/Graphics/Inject/NVidia=NO
- config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id=
- config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=

Thanks!

Hi there, a few questions about the guide:

My graphics currently show Intel HD Graphics 530 7MB, is this the guide I follow to fix that?

Is this still in beta? Has it become any "safer" to follow these instructions?

Also, where do I find this (quoted below). In Library or System/Extensions or on my conflig.plist in clover configurator?

Thanks!

I followed this guide and it's working well. It worked fully on High Sierra but dual monitors doesn't work on Mojave. No fix for that yet, as far as I'm aware.

Those items to remove would be things you previously injected with Clover. If you're not familiar with them, it's likely you didn't inject them.

I followed this guide and it's working well. It worked fully on High Sierra but dual monitors doesn't work on Mojave. No fix for that yet, as far as I'm aware.

Those items to remove would be things you previously injected with Clover. If you're not familiar with them, it's likely you didn't inject them.

Thanks you’ve saved me the long hours spent researching how to get dual monitors working which I was just doing.

I was able to get the 7mb changed and no longer have glitches.

Hoping to get dual monitors soon. It’s hard to go back to just using one.

I am also looking for dual monitors on Mojave... any topic to follow for this specific need?

edit: framebuffer patching is not enough for dual monitors, your SMBios should also match a model with identical CPU/IGPU for dual screen to work. For my i7-4790K I used iMac14,3 instead of multibeast recommended quickstart choice and I now have dual screens!

Last edited:
No, I haven't got any solution yet, but my question seems a bit different from the problem you are having now. I use single monitor and just have issue on sleep/wake.

Do you mean you don't know how to use FB-patcher or you tried different combination without success?

In terms of sleep/wake, post #1 seems to suggest that by disabling unused connectors it may be possible to enable sleep/wake. I'm guessing you've tried that approach?

So here's what I'm trying to achieve:

1. Adopt the use of the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts as the new standard approach. I followed the guide and it all seems to work fine for my set-up, with a single DP display plugged in.

2. Get a dual display arrangement working, i.e. add a second display plugged in to the HDMI port on the motherboard. With just the DP display working, and using the -igfxdump boot flag and FBPatcher, it reports that the DP display is on connector 2 (0x04) and that all three ports are of the type DP. So, again using the arbitrary approach outlined in the guide, I added a patch to config.plist which should change connector 1 (0x05) from DP to HDMI (see copy of config.plist attached).

Rebooting with an HDMI display plugged in as well as the DP display, the machine now boots to the desktop (which wasn't the case before with 2 displays attached), but the HDMI display doesn't appear to be getting any signal while the DP display works fine. FBPatcher now appears to report that all three ports are of type HDMI, and indicates that the DP display is now attached to port 0x05.

It looks like the Bus ID for the ports is changing and is not in any way tied to the physical hardware ports on the motherboard. And I don't understand why, by changing connector 1 (which appears to be Bus ID 0x05) from DP to HDMI, would also appear to change connector 3 (Bus ID 0x06) from DP to HDMI. Nor do I understand why my DP display moves from connector 2 to connector 1. Clearly there's more going on here. Any guidance about how to get my second display working would be most welcome.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.4 KB · Views: 172
Verify your SMBios settings. With an i5 7500 you should try iMac18,2 and check if this enables dual screen on your setup (I had to switch to iMac14,3 on a i7-4790K for dual screen to work with only a correct ig-platform-id)

Back