Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

It is there already and shows in ioreg

You can select Preferences->Displays and hold down Alt key while clicking Scaled to get extended display modes. I personally use SwitchResX but it costs money.

If I select the real ID I don't get the proper connection view.

Yes that's correct. If you want to see your applied patches select Patch->Apply Current Patches.

You can select Preferences->Displays and hold down Alt key while clicking Scaled to get extended display modes. I personally use SwitchResX but it costs money.

I tried both of those already, I see a lot more in the Option Click and SwitchResX does give me 1440p but I don't get 2160p that I get with the framebuffer off.

Yes that's correct. If you want to see your applied patches select Patch->Apply Current Patches.

Thanks I will play with that. FBPatcher worked great for disabling USB ports. One note on Audio I had to run FB Patcher in High Sierra to get the device-id because I couldn't get any PCI audio at all using just the injection.

Martin

I tried both of those already, I see a lot more in the Option Click and SwitchResX does give me 1440p but I don't get 2160p that I get with the framebuffer off.

I don't know I have a desktop and laptop both running 4k (HiDPI mode) and haven't had any problems. One thing I can suggest is to do a kext flush (run "sudo kextcache -i /" from Terminal) and a few reboots. It sometimes takes a few times before it kicks in for me.

Thanks I will play with that. FBPatcher worked great for disabling USB ports. One note on Audio I had to run FB Patcher in High Sierra to get the device-id because I couldn't get any PCI audio at all using just the injection.

Hopefully that was only due to running an older version of FB-Patcher. It now tries HDAS if HDEF fails so should hopefully detect the audio hardware correctly before patching.

I don't know I have a desktop and laptop both running 4k (HiDPI mode) and haven't had any problems. One thing I can suggest is to do a kext flush (run "sudo kextcache -i /" from Terminal) and a few reboots. It sometimes takes a few times before it kicks in for me.

I do see other HiDPI entries just not the high ones. I will try the flush.

Hopefully that was only due to running an older version of FB-Patcher. It now tries HDAS if HDEF fails so should hopefully detect the audio hardware correctly before patching.

It is not really FB Patcher related, Mojave would not expose any audio devices on the PCI device for you to read with the Inject 5 that I used.

Martin

Once headkaze made me realize that
10.11-SKL-1912000-4_displays with IntelGraphicsFixup is simply with WEG

Code:
framebuffer-patch-enable  Data  <01000000>
framebuffer-portcount     Data  <04000000>

WEG works fantastic to fix the black screen on boot with my Core i3 6300 iMac17,1. I was even able to boot the Mojave installer with full resolution and graphics acceleration.

I also changed to HDMI and DVI connector types to match the physical connectors.
FB-Patcher Connectors.png

I am now trying to implement HDMI audio. The Intel Framebuffer patching instructions specifically mention to remove any HDMI and IGPU entries from config.plist/Devices/AddProperties.

With IntelGraphicsFixup, I had the following entries below for HDMI audio. So, how do I replace those entries for WEG?

HDMI audio.png

With IntelGraphicsFixup, I had the following entries below for HDMI audio. So, how do I replace those entries for WEG?

View attachment 354625

Move any such properties such that they are injected with config.plist/Devices/Properties instead.

If you're using Lilu + AppleALC you can use Intel FB-Patcher to patch your audio (General->Audio tab). Then set your Layout Id to 13 in the drop down list and put a tick next to Patch->General->Audio.

Gen 8: Coffee Lake (Intel UHD Graphics 630)

Intel Pentiium G5500 (not G5400) and above have UHD Graphics 630 - https://ark.intel.com/products/129946/Intel-Pentium-Gold-G5500-Processor-4M-Cache-3-80-GHz-

So how come nobody seems to build cheap Hackintoshes usiing G5500 CPUs? Have I missed something?

I have exactly the same question. Note that these CPUs have graphics device ID of 0x3e91, same as the i3 8300.
My system works well (with fakecpuid) except that I have not got graphics acceleration yet. Info shows UHD 630 8MB.
I see i3 8300 users reporting this same issue.

Last edited:
Back