Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming WiFi
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Have you tried with just setting the correct ig-platform-id along WEG with no additional properties? In a lot of cases this is enough to get it working.

Motherboard
Asus Vivobook X510UA-BQ490
CPU
i5-8250u
Graphics
UHD 620, 1920x1080
How do I set unifiedmem to 4096MB?

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
How do I set unifiedmem to 4096MB?

@whatnameisit,

You can't, the maximum IGPU VRAM MacOS will allow is 2048MB which you can do by adding the 2048MB VRAM patch :-

Code:
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
                <data>
                AAAAgA==
                </data>

Add the above code to the Devices -> Properties section of your config.plsit under the IGPU PCI Root path <key>, if you already have <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key> then there is no need to duplicate it and its <data> value.

Or use Hackintool to generate the code for you (its on the Patch -> Advanced Tab)

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
CPU
i5-8250u
Graphics
UHD 620, 1920x1080
@whatnameisit,

You can't, the maximum IGPU VRAM MacOS will allow is 2048MB which you can do by adding the 2048MB VRAM patch :-

Code:
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
                <data>
                AAAAgA==
                </data>

Add the above code to the Devices -> Properties section of your config.plsit under the IGPU PCI Root path <key>, if you already have <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key> then there is no need to duplicate it and its <data> value.

Or use Hackintool to generate the code for you (its on the Patch -> Advanced Tab)

Cheers
Jay
I was looking for a way to add that 1 MB to 4095 MB to make it 4096 MB. If this isn't actually 4095 MB, I'll revert back to 2048 MB.

@jaymonkey do you have any thoughts?
NVM...Bench scores are nearly the same across 2048 MB and 4095 MB. Changing back to 2048 MB.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD4000
So, I've decided to turn my current rig into my media server for Plex. I'm planning on running it headless, but I've got it connected via HDMI right now. I've installed Mojave and got it running fairly well. Some things seem to be new with the Hackintosh scene since my last build, and I've got a new 4k display which from my searching and testing over the last couple of days, I've discovered might be an issue. Anyway...

I still get a garbled screen after a clean install and using multibeast. However, when remote connecting, it shows that the HD4000 is working fine, although only at 1080p. I figure the garbled screen is because of the HDMI connecting to a 4k display. I saw in the original post that there's some sort of fix, but I can't work out exactly how to put it into my config or the data value to use (regarding enable-hdmi20).

It also won't go to sleep. There seems to be a fix for that too in the original post. Again, I'm not sure how to best enter that into the config. Is there any chance somebody could please help, because after hours of trying and trying, I'm just not getting anywhere.

I know where to put the info in the config, I just can't figure out what will fix my issues.

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010
CPU
i5-3475S
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
MacBook Pro
Hello,

I am a huge fan of this forum.

I am having issues with my Dell Optiplex 7010. I have connected dual monitors on DP ports at the back. It seems that though the IntelHD4000 is detected with the right VRAM (Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB), but Metal is not loaded. I have attached two screenshots. One showing metal properly loaded and detecting both monitors. Second showing metal not being loaded and only single monitor detected.

I followed the hackintosh build guide at:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-install-high-sierra-or-mojave-on-the-dell-optiplex-7010-9010-desktop-pc-revision-ii.251736/

This is my first time building a mackintosh and any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

First Screenshot: Metal loaded, dual monitors

GPU.png

Second Screenshot: No Metal, Single Monitor
NoMetal.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K OC 5GHz
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti & UHD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I was looking for a way to add that 1 MB to 4095 MB to make it 4096 MB. If this isn't actually 4095 MB, I'll revert back to 2048 MB.

@jaymonkey do you have any thoughts?
NVM...Bench scores are nearly the same across 2048 MB and 4095 MB. Changing back to 2048 MB.
Wow. This is interesting. Although bench scores are the same relatively, do you notice a difference in how videos are loaded when streaming? Does it make a difference in overall performance? Does it effect the battery life?

Motherboard
CPU
i5-8250u
Graphics
UHD 620, 1920x1080
Wow. This is interesting. Although bench scores are the same relatively, do you notice a difference in how videos are loaded when streaming? Does it make a difference in overall performance? Does it effect the battery life?
It didn't have any noticeable changes. Videos worked fine, accelerating graphics with OpenGL seemed OK, brightness control, etc. Actually the overall score from GeekBench4 dropped by a couple scores from 2048 MB to 4095 MB. And to come up with something even more interesting, I accidentally set the unifiedmem data to be 00000001, thinking that it corresponds to 4096 Mb but it's actually 16 MB. It worked so smoothly with that big flat 16 MB in About this Mac and System Profiler, whereas haing incorrect ig-platform-id results in 7-10 MB of VRAM and several glitches. Haven't tested the bench scores though.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS

@Mrgeque,

As it states in the 4K Notes of the WhatEverGreen section of the Lilu Guide, the 2048MB VRAM patch will only be of benefit if your IGPU is driving dual 1080P monitors or a 4K Monitor / Internal display

If its a 4K display you should also use the -cdfon boot arg.

It has no real effect on battery life ..

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K OC 5GHz
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti & UHD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS