Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming
CPU
i5-7600K
Graphics
970 GTX
You could, but honestly you'd probably be better off just using ig-platform-id under graphics in clover. I have an i5 6600k/RX 480 8GB Hackintosh on 10.14.1 (SMBIOS 17,1) with hardware encoding enabled. My ig-platform-id is 0x19120001 to get that to work. For you, the equivalent would probably be 0x59120003 (use SMBIOS 18,3). However, if that doesn't work, try the different id on the first page under Kaby Lake.
thanks, that worked beautifully.

Motherboard
MSI Z170A PRO
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530 + RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK, well, there is a combination of still relevant and now (4 years later) outdated information in that thread, so let me sort it out for Jan 2019. Keep in mind that these are only things to try, there is too much variation in hardware to know in advance whether it will work or not. Also, any more detail than this is off-topic for this thread.

1) You need to use WhateverGreen in order to get the pixel-clock high enough for 4k, plus any kind of stability with DRM video. My recommendation is to install using Unibeast/Multibeast for Mojave.

2) Multibeast produces a Clover-based install, and the main point of configuration is Clover's 'config.plist' file. This is where the HD 4600 framebuffer patch will reside (see titus42's post, the lines from "<dict>" to "</dict>"). Those lines go into the "KextsToPatch" section of config.plist: you can use Xcode, Clover Configurator, a text editor, whatever is most comfortable. It all ends up with the same lines in config.plist.

This may take several tries and failures before you learn how to do it exactly right, or it may never work, so it would be safest and quickest to do it as an experiment on a small spare SSD before applying it to a working hackintosh (which would be more effort to reinstall). Enjoy the trial and error, that's the main amusement of fiddling with hackintoshes after all.

Motherboard
MSI Z170A PRO
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530 + RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you Rael11,
with your precious help I managed the first shot.
Now everything ok.
As they say here in Naples "you have beer and pizza paid if you happen to be here"! and not only.
It 'a real pleasure to find people friendly and helpful ready to help those in need. And luckily these people in this forum are the great majority. even thanks for the other advice.

Motherboard
GA-Z97N-WiFi
CPU
i5 4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
  3. Performa
  4. Plus
  5. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Glad I could help. I'm also looking forward to when someone documents a config for WhateverGreen that accomplishes the same thing. Even better, I would think that, ideally, a utility like that would automatically maximize the specs of any GPU it enabled. A few megabytes for framebuffer expansion is a negligible cost.

Motherboard
Asus Prime H310T/CSM
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey, @vzmr82, I was able to get the Asus Prime H310T/CSM working with both HDMI and DP.
I switched my platform-id from 3e9b0007 to 3ea50000 because it seemed to better match my ioreg, but I noticed that when I plugged in my HDMI cable, I would see this in the console:
Code:
FB2: Hot plug on port2
FB2: Display unplugged from port2
fb2 : DP-EDID set offset failed: 0xe00002d6

Which confirmed that the HDMI port is FB2 and that it's active.
Searching for that EDID error led me to this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/uhd-630-no-hdmi-audio.265490/
and a suggestion to use AAPL02,override-no-connect.
I used a config.plist from black.dragon74 as a sample. My latest config.plist is attached.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.6 KB · Views: 154
Motherboard
Gigabyte H370M-DS3H
CPU
i7-8770
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
You wrote in the description: " So if you want your platform-id to be 0x3EA50009 first reverse the bytes (0900A53E) then use Xcode's plist editor to add the values to Clover's config.plist."

How can I reverse bytes? With which tool should I use for that?

Thank you!

Motherboard
Asus Prime H310T/CSM
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
You wrote in the description: " So if you want your platform-id to be 0x3EA50009 first reverse the bytes (0900A53E) then use Xcode's plist editor to add the values to Clover's config.plist."

How can I reverse bytes? With which tool should I use for that?

Thank you!

You don't need a tool - it's quite simple. Each pair of numbers is a byte. If the platform-id was 0x12345678 you would enter <78563412> into xcode.

Motherboard
MSI Z170A PRO
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530 + RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Rael11,
I'm sorry if I still apply to you but I have another small problem and since your DCMac has almost the same configuration I ask you.
As said yesterday with the patch you showed me now Mojave works at all resolutions and refresh at 60mhz. only I have to always start with HDMI cable and then I can remove this and go to the DP cable otherwise during booting does not start the classic Clover screen but only text as shown in the attached photo. Windows 10 does not boot right with HDMI but requires only DP.
So it's a continuous and annoying change of cables.
I also updated the bios of the Z87x-ud3h to the F8 version and made some changes but with no results. I do not think Clover and Mojave are guilty for this because with HDMI they work properly. I think rather that it is some configuration of the wrong bios, I enclose photos of my configurations.
what connection and what configurations do you use?
what is it advisable to do?
IMG_4640.jpgIMG_4645.jpgIMG_4646.jpgIMG_4649.jpgthank you

Motherboard
Asus Prime H310T-Clove
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Here's the config.plist that works for me with DisplayPort. I've also tried playing around with the SMBIOS values.
iMac18,2 or iMac18,3 had glitchy graphics, but iMac18,1 seems fine.
Macmini8,1 booted up fine, but all USB ports were dead.

DisplayPort works only if I plug in a DP to DP cable. If I use the same port and plug in a DP to HDMI cable (same monitor, even, just a different input on the monitor), there's no signal. It makes me think MacOS is looking for some sort of handshake that only works over DP natively.
Hey, @vzmr82, I was able to get the Asus Prime H310T/CSM working with both HDMI and DP.
I switched my platform-id from 3e9b0007 to 3ea50000 because it seemed to better match my ioreg, but I noticed that when I plugged in my HDMI cable, I would see this in the console:
Code:
FB2: Hot plug on port2
FB2: Display unplugged from port2
fb2 : DP-EDID set offset failed: 0xe00002d6

Which confirmed that the HDMI port is FB2 and that it's active.
Searching for that EDID error led me to this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/uhd-630-no-hdmi-audio.265490/
and a suggestion to use AAPL02,override-no-connect.
I used a config.plist from black.dragon74 as a sample. My latest config.plist is attached.

Thanks, Rashiki. I had already switched from HDMI to DP, and the hackintosh is now pretty stable. I have completed the USB mapping according to the FBPatch thread, and I can sleep and shutdown OK. All that with 0x3e9b0007 platform-id.

I have only one problem. When switching back and forth my KVM Switch, sometimes the screen doesn't turn on or turns on with flickering... doing a fast switch again usually solves the problem and I get a stable system.

I will try your 0x3EA50000 later today, when I am at home, to see if I get a more stable system. The thread of black.dragon74 regarding AAPL02,override-no-connect is, at the moment, a little bit out of my league.

I will post the results here.

Thanks.