Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

When I use the <Device><Properties> method, everything works great, but I can *only* use display port. My HDMI connector seems to be inactive. Using the old <Graphics><Inject> method, both display port and HDMI work, but graphics is glitchy.

I've tried configuring the ports to disable the DP connector, but then none of the connectors work.

I'm using an Asus Prime H310T/CSM thin-mini-ITX board with a Core i5-8500.

Any suggestions?

@headkaze

My IGPU@2 from ioreg doesn't shows any framebuffer. Its looks like this:

Also I used your guide to dump framebuffer:

Having trouble compiling?
If you're having trouble compiling you can wait for the official binaries or download my (unsupported) build_lilu.sh shell script and run it in a folder to download and build Lilu + WhateverGreen using Xcode automatically. I recommend you try the debug versions first (place them into Clover's EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder).

complied the latest version of lilu+WEG and installed the debug version. Then I tried the following:

Framebuffer Dumps
There are two ways to dump your framebuffer data (both require WhateverGreen + Lilu debug versions):

1. Using -igfxdump boot flag to dump IGPU framebuffer kext to /AppleIntelFramebuffer_X_Y (root of your boot drive)

There are several ways of reading this dump:
- Using 010 Editor along with the IntelFramebuffer.bt template
- Using Intel FB-Patcher File->Open menu

2. Using -igfxfbdump boot flag to dump native and patched framebuffer table to ioreg at IOService:/IOResources/WhateverGreen

There are several ways of reading this dump:
- Using dump_platformlist.sh shell script
- Using Intel FB-Patcher File->Import->IOReg Dump menu

but I didn't find any dump on my root of boot device or I can't even import anything using FB-Pather's IOReg Dump Menu.

But I got a log using -liludbgall & -wegdbg. Which I have attached.

I think I have noticed from the log, my CPU in unknown. it throws warning like this:

Code:
WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x9e

No matter what SMBIOS I tried. I tried iMac 14,2/18,1/18,2/18,3 and Macmini8,1.

My config:

CPU: i3 8100

Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Lilu_1.3.1_18.2.txt
    62.3 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Question..
I am using UHD 620 5917 on Kaby Lake refresh i5-8250u. Which on config.plist suitable? macbookpro 15,2 or macbookpro 14,1 ?
the macboookpro 15,2 using 4 logical i5-8259u like i5-8250 but different 655 UHD.
the macboookpro 14,1 using 2 logical i5-7360u like i5-8250 but same 620 UHD.

I saw for Kaby lake on [README] Mojave Laptop troubleshoot
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-problems-and-workarounds-on-10-14-mojave.255823/
Next step is to change AAPL, ig-platform-id and device-id to skylake laptop
- from 0x59160000 / 0x591B0000 to 0x1916000

SO for i5-8250U use macbookpro 14,1 smbios with AAPL, ig-platform-id 0x1916000 ?
or use macbookpro 15,2 smbios with AAPL, ig-platform-id 0x1916000 ?

Last edited:
When I use the <Device><Properties> method, everything works great, but I can *only* use display port. My HDMI connector seems to be inactive. Using the old <Graphics><Inject> method, both display port and HDMI work, but graphics is glitchy.

I've tried configuring the ports to disable the DP connector, but then none of the connectors work.

I'm using an Asus Prime H310T/CSM thin-mini-ITX board with a Core i5-8500.

Any suggestions?

Hi Rashiki, I have exactly this board and CPU and this problem. But I also don’t get my DP connector to work either. Can you share your EFI folder or at least your config.plist to see what I am doing wrong? I would like to have your problem...

Thanks.

I have the exact same problem with my HD 4600. Can't find solution though! Anyone help please!

I got it working with a vanilla Multibeast Mojave install and a manual patch to AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext (HD 4600 on Seiki 4k). Not very elegant but it was quicker than the 2 hours I spent trying (and failing) to get WhateverGreen to patch the framebuffer.

This exactly match with my hardware.
331697-b867f039bdf4b2851030a233d728ccaa.jpg
331698-41a9ee040a2d948f77e3d10bdf782581.jpg

I'm currently SMBIOS iMac 14,2. I have changed my SMBIOS to 15,1 according to the suggestion of Intel FB-Patcher Tool. Whenever I generate and apply patch to my config.plist I got this error.
331703-09a12c0680ce075db3557b801d69a781.jpg

Am I making mistake somewhere. I have download and installed all the kexts Lilu, WEG, AirportBRCMFixup.kext to the /Library/Extension and repair cache using kext utility. One thing I have noticed If i remove the device-id system will boot normally with SMBIOS 15,1 but then did not get 4K resolution. Please be advised.

Unable to boot with the patch. Can anyone please help me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 21.23.57.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 21.23.57.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 21.25.58.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 21.25.58.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8111.jpeg
    IMG_8111.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I got it working with a vanilla Multibeast Mojave install and a manual patch to AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext (HD 4600 on Seiki 4k). Not very elegant but it was quicker than the 2 hours I spent trying (and failing) to get WhateverGreen to patch the framebuffer.

Do you want to be kind enough to explain in detail the steps to be taken to get success? I also have the same card and the same problem.thanks

@RehabMan @headkaze

Would like some help to finalize my Mojave 10.14.2 build. My system has an i5-8400, UHD 630, and GA B360N D3H. I'm currently stuck. My system is at a point where I can either get acceleration with no display output or display output without acceleration.

When I have acceleration, my Device ID is set to 00003E9B, but I have no HDMI or DP output and my screen share resolution is SXGA. When I have full 1080p resolution on HDMI/DP and screen share, my UHD 630 has only 7mb VRAM. This is with no Device ID.

How can I combine the two conditions to both have full resolution output and acceleration? I've tried various Framebuffer patches, but I'm just not sure where to go. Please see my attached EFI.

Thank You!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 97
Hey @headkaze and @RehabMan, have a unique question when you have a moment.

Since upgrading to WEG 1.26 I get the black screen issue when attempting to play a DRM protected file in iTunes. Kernel logs show repeated assertions from "pavpSessionCallback" which looks like it's part of the WEG igfx kernel patches:

Code:
2019-01-05 14:33:02.834196-0800  localhost kernel[0]: (Lilu) WhateverGreen:    igfx @ (DBG) pavpSessionCallback: enforcing error on cmd 4 (send to ring?)!

All was working less than a week ago and now can't figure out what is broken. Nor am I able to get iTunes videos working using any configuration (even attempting to downgrade to 1.2.4). Would appreciate any guidance you might have. Some suggestions on an AppleLife page seem to indicate that there was a trade-off between fixing PAVP crashes and enabling HDCP. I also found @RehabMan's comment on a Lilu commit about support having been broken for the i7-8650u (my cpu). Not sure if either of these is related, but it was where my investigation ended.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• debug_14669.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 94
  • hdcp_issues.txt
    18.7 KB · Views: 235
Back