Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

Some recommendations for your system:
- Use minimal ACPI patching. Probably the biggest cause of conflicts is the abundance of incorrect ACPI patching
- What is the DVMT-prealloc set for your BIOS? If it's 32 MB I suggest you set "DVMT-prealloc 32 MB" in Intel FB-Patcher
- Remove FakePCIID, IntelGraphicsFixup, IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup and Shiki. You should only have Lilu + WhateverGreen + AppleALC
- As the guide says don't set "UseIntelHDMI" (also check the first post "Preliminary" section for others)
- Mojave has removed a bunch of Audio Id's so you may need to try others
- Try the DP -> HDMI patches in Intel FB-Patcher. By default WhateverGreen does this automatically but only if you don't have any other framebuffer patching present. So just be aware of that
- Make sure you don't have any other audio or framebuffer patches in your config.plist such as in KextToPatch or elsewhere

• I believe the renames are correct. Most of the ACPI renames were default from RehabMan's repo and I disabled the ones that do not apply to my laptop.
  • I forgot what the DVMT prealloc is set to in BIOS. I'll check once I'm in front of it.
  • Yes, I already removed all the other kexts that have been integrated with the latest WhateverGreen. As stated, I tried with and without the FakePCIID and neither gave me HDMI audio.
  • Yes, I initially had UseIntelHDMI disabled when I installed the latest WhateverGreen and only tried with it enabled when I lost HDMI audio.
  • Yes, I know that Audio-id 3 and 13 were dropped. That's why I have started using 17.
  • Ah! I didn't know that DP -> HDMI is only automatic if no other frambuffers are set.
  • Yes, all the KextsToPatches related to audio and/or graphics have been disabled.

I will check the BIOS setting for DVMT prealloc and DP -> HDMI. Thanks again for your help!

I still need 3 infamous KextToPatch entries to modify the framebuffer and be able to see anything on a monitor.

- If I use AAPL,ig-platform-id SET TO 0x3E9B0007 I get no acceleration and 7MB iGPU.
is this correct?

Sounds like you might have some issues with conflicting patches. What "3 famous KextToPatch entries" are you referring to?

Sounds like you might have some issues with conflicting patches. What "3 famous KextToPatch entries" are you referring to?

The 3 framebuffer patches are only necessary on the B360 motherboard. Without the patches I get a black screen. The PC is working, I can connect using RemoteDesktop from another PC but I see nothing on the screen. This has been happening since the beginning on this new generation of motherboard. There are a few threads in the forum about the topic. here's one:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/h370-b360-and-h310-motherboards.249825/
On the B360 board I use SMBIOS definition 17,1. Should it be that I need to switch to 18,1 (I use iGPU only).
You can see the patches in the attached file.

On my Z370 motherboard I have no issue with needing anything.
On my Z370 board with an i3-8100 I implemented all the changes described here and it works great BUT I didn't test the AAPL,ig-platform-id SET TO 0x3E9B0007 I stayed on the 59120000 as the B360 lost acceleration with this frambuffer.
So I tested 0x3E9B0007 only on the B360 board.

Can you confirm that with 0x3E9B0007 I should get full acceleration? I'm on High Sierra 10.13.6 17G65
Thanks!

Attachments

• framebufferpatch.png
    framebufferpatch.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 224
The 3 framebuffer patches are only necessary on the B360 motherboard.

I've attached a screenshot to show you exactly what your 3 patches look like in Intel FB-Patcher. I'm not entirely sure why you would need to change Index, Bus Id or Pipe values. Generally all you have to do is change the Type (ie. DP -> HDMI).

If you follow the instructions correctly then in theory 0x3E9B0007 should work okay for you. But you should remove your 3 KextsToPatch and use Intel FB-Patcher to generate the patch for you.

Attachments

• 3FamousKextsToPatch.png
    3FamousKextsToPatch.png
    403.7 KB · Views: 405
Some recommendations for your system:
- Use minimal ACPI patching. Probably the biggest cause of conflicts is the abundance of incorrect ACPI patching
- What is the DVMT-prealloc set for your BIOS? If it's 32 MB I suggest you set "DVMT-prealloc 32 MB" in Intel FB-Patcher
- Remove FakePCIID, IntelGraphicsFixup, IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup and Shiki. You should only have Lilu + WhateverGreen + AppleALC
- As the guide says don't set "UseIntelHDMI" (also check the first post "Preliminary" section for others)
- Mojave has removed a bunch of Audio Id's so you may need to try others
- Try the DP -> HDMI patches in Intel FB-Patcher. By default WhateverGreen does this automatically but only if you don't have any other framebuffer patching present. So just be aware of that
- Make sure you don't have any other audio or framebuffer patches in your config.plist such as in KextToPatch or elsewhere

I just wanted to follow up... Setting Audio-id=17, "DVMT-prealloc 32 MB", and DP -> HDMI have restored HDMI audio for me!

Thank you very much for all the help and support!! :clap:

Last edited:
I've attached a screenshot to show you exactly what your 3 patches look like in Intel FB-Patcher. I'm not entirely sure why you would need to change Index, Bus Id or Pipe values. Generally all you have to do is change the Type (ie. DP -> HDMI).

If you follow the instructions correctly then in theory 0x3E9B0007 should work okay for you. But you should remove your 3 KextsToPatch and use Intel FB-Patcher to generate the patch for you.

Thanks for your reply.
I'm first going to implement on the Z370 so to be sure I am implementing everything correctly using the 0x3E9B0007 frame buffer.
Then I move to managing the B360 board and see if I understand the working of FB-Patcher.
I think on your port on page 1 there's the list of commands I have to use in the config.plist file.
What editor should I use as everybody says not to use Clover.
Thanks

Last edited:
A question though.
When using 59120000 as frame buffer I've always used 59120003 in case of dual GPU setup iGPU + discrete GPU.
What happens when using 0x3E9B0007 as frame buffer? What settings in case of iGPU + discrete GPU?

A question though.
When using 59120000 as frame buffer I've always used 59120003 in case of dual GPU setup iGPU + discrete GPU.
What happens when using 0x3E9B0007 as frame buffer? What settings in case of iGPU + discrete GPU?

3E9B0007 is working well for me with a Vega 56 and IGPU running headlessly.

But on the latest 10.13.6 High Sierra version for MacBooks 17G2112. Does it work on the 17G65 version too?
I just read your Asus configuration where you say you changed to 0x3E9B0007 frame buffer from release 4,4
My experience is I needed to spoof kaby lake with 59120000 on 17G65 version.
Thanks for your help.

Back