Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Broadwell NUC5 using Clover UEFI (NUC5i5MHYE, NUC5i3MYHE, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this guide ... I'm glad your 2nd desktop guide is a NUC !

I have questions :
- you said "NVMe not supported in OS X" : there is a kext from MacVidCards and several reports about boot on NVMe drives. Did you actually tried it ? I had a NUC5i7 for 2 days and didn't managed to see this drive on OS X ... and now I don't have access to this NUC any longer (it's running Win10 now ... pff)
- do you have Audio IN and OUT on your ALC283 ?

Last edited:
- you said "NVMe not supported in OS X" : there is a kext from MacVidCards and several reports about boot on NVMe drives. Did you actually tried it ? I had a NUC5i7 for 2 days and didn't managed to see this drive on OS X ... and now I don't have access to this NUC any longer (it's running Win10 now ... pff)

I have read a lot about that kext and helped several people try to troubleshoot. It is buggy (problems with shutdown, problems with 10.11.4), incomplete (sleep not working), and not being maintained. It is also not open source. The original author only wanted to make it work for real Macs with the NVMe device as a data drive.

I have some ideas for using the native OS X driver, but no NVMe hardware (yet).

- do you have Audio IN and OUT on your ALC283 ?

Yes.

Note: This guide could probably work for the Haswell and Skylake NUCs with minor tweaks.

Thx I will give a look to the files you use.
I've been struggling with this ALC283 and its Mic input and its EAPD support for months. And I still don't have a perfect solution : audio in with jack sense and not quality drop in audio out (codec sleeps ?).

Thx I will give a look to the files you use.
I've been struggling with this ALC283 and its Mic input and its EAPD support for months. And I still don't have a perfect solution : audio in with jack sense and not quality drop in audio out (codec sleeps ?).

The ALC283 XML is from extracted from Multibeast... I'll test later today (to confirm)...

I do remember the audio quality in headphones being very poor before I added CodecCommander.kext (also required on my Lenovo u430, which also has ALC283).

Updated to 10.11.5 without issue.

What news are you looking for?
The ALC283 XML is from extracted from Multibeast... I'll test later today (to confirm)...

I do remember the audio quality in headphones being very poor before I added CodecCommander.kext (also required on my Lenovo u430, which also has ALC283).

The result of your tests : is Combo-Jack working as expected in and out with no undesired codec sleep and jack sense support ?

The result of your tests : is Combo-Jack working as expected in and out with no undesired codec sleep and jack sense support ?

What do you mean by "jack sense"? The input jack is dedicated, so there is no "sensing" required. It is not like a laptop where you're trying to switch automatically between an internal and external mic.

Headphones work fine, but as far as audio input, it seems broken (but there is no "jack sense" issue). I think the problem lies in the XML files...

Note: I'm working on some changes to how audio is implemented (using CodecCommander instead of patching AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver), which should make it easier to change pinconfigs (which goes along with changing the XML config). I'm focused on the u430 for now, but can come back to this later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back