Contribute
Register

[Guide] Installing Yosemite 10.10.2 on the Asus X551CA-DH31(default i3 version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
[Guide] Installing Yosemite 10.10.2 on the Asus X551CA-DH31(Intel Core i3 3217U)

Hey guys! Thought I'd make a guide on how I installed Yosemite 10.10.2 on my Asus X551CA-DH31 (Intel Core i3 3217U). Mind you, this is only for the Intel Core i3 3217U version only, not the Pentium. So let's get started

What you will need:

BIOS Settings at: Unsecure Boot, CSM Enabled, Intel Graphics settings at 64
Unibeast
An App Store downloaded version of Yosemite
A decent 8GB USB
(Optional: Edimax USB WIFI Adapter or replace your wifi card)
Multibeast
Kexts from this post
(Optional: Edimax drivers from their website)
Kext Wizard.app (Google)
Rehabman's ACPIBatteryManager.kext (Google)
MaciASL.app (Google)
VoodooHDA 2.8.7 (Google)
Chameleon (if you do so choose)
Some brains
A lot of patience

I'm going to assume that you've already downloaded got the USB installer done so I will just jump to booting to the installer. Here, I suggest that you try several combinations of boot-args. The ones that worked for me were -v -F ncpi=0x3000.

After you get booted to the installer, the first thing I need you to do is to wipe your hard drive. Go to:

• Utilities --> Disk Utility --> Select your HDD --> Partition --> 1 Partition (assuming your only doing a single boot) --> Options (bottom right corner of the partition box) --> Master Boot Record (because for some odd reason, trying to boot Chameleon/Chimera using GPT format makes the HDD undetectable by BIOS) -->Okay
After doing all of that up there, install normally.
After Yosemite is done installing to your selected hard drive, use your USB installer to boot into the system. Using boot-args like -v -F ncpi=0x3000 IGPEnabler=Yes worked for me.

Go through the Welcome process and you'll notice that you don't have interwebs. That is okay because our WiFi cards aren't supported and you don't have the ethernet kext installed yet. :( So continue on by clicking on "This computer doesn't connect to the internet"

Once you get through the setup process, start up Multibeast. If you don't have a DSDT or if you don't know how to make/patch one, I suggest you go with my method of using "DSDT Free" which gets you your basic options. In addition to those options, you're going to need select RealtekRTL8111 v1.2.3 (Maezi's Branch) and Ev0reboot. After Multibeast, install VoodooHDA 2.8.7. The after all of that, open up Kext wizard and add the Asus kexts that you can download at the end of this post and Rehabman's ACPIBatteryManager to the kext installation box. Also, if you are using a USB WIFI adapter like I am, I recommend that you install the ethernet driver(RealtekRTL8111) first and then the wifi drivers as this could mess with the App Store.

EDIT: DO NOT SELECT THE PS/2 OPTIONS ON MULTIBEAST. IT DOESN'T WORK ON OUR LAPTOPS.

Next, you are gonna go to your Extra --> org.Chameleon.plist and you need to add the following lines:

<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

You should know that you should those lines IF they are missing or it says "No". Also please make sure that
<Key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
is set to: <string>No</string>

By now, you SHOULD have a working, bootable Asus Hackbook Air

(PS to the moderators: I have absolutely no idea who I can give credit for the Asus kexts in this post... I got the kexts from my boyfriend's USB)

Also, if you installed using the 10.10.1 version of Yosemite, you SHOULD be fine with upgrading to 10.10.2. Nothing SHOULD go wrong. (At least, nothing went wrong for me)

Also, I included my org.Chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist (please be mindful that I am using Chameleon and the boot.plist has the theme that I chose for it. If you are using Chimera, just copy and paste the contents of my boot.plist EXCEPT for the Chameleon Theme)

PPS: What works on my laptop and what doesn't:
Stock Wifi: NOPE (As in NEVER GONNA WORK)
Intel HD 4000: Yes
Ethernet: Yes
Battery Monitor: Yes
PS/2:Yes
Edimax Nano USB WIFI Adapter: Yes
USB 3.0: Yes
Multidrive: OOB/Yes
HDMI w/ Sound: Unknown (I haven't tested yet but it SHOULD)
Graphics Acceleration: Yes
Display Brightness Control: No (Except for FN+F7 which turns off the display.. that works)
Sleep: No (Don't really use it as I prefer to power cycle anyways)
Shut Down/Reboot: Yes (It takes about 60-90 secs to do)

Attachments

• ASUS X551CA-DH31 KEXTS.zip
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,158
  • org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    669 bytes · Views: 749
  • smbios.plist
    889 bytes · Views: 757
Last edited:
I used Chimera on my Hackintosh, and there is no nvRAM support (and probably never will be with Chimera). You should now have no iMessage, and need to boot with UseKextCache=No, adding about 30 seconds to each boot.

If your computer is booting fine with no need to retype boot parameters every startup, I would like to know HOW?

Also, Congrats on a wonderful guide. I am using an Acer laptop with an untouched BIOS (uncracked as yet), so I need to use MBR formatted drive - only real let-down tho.

Lol, don't really care much for iMessage as I use a rooted Note 3 (No surprise as I like customizing the OS of any tech device I own.) :p lol and Rehabman beat me to the answer. And I don't UseKextCache in my boot.plist. The closest thing I have to that is UseKernelCache=Yes and Kext-dev-mode=Yes (Which I think I don't actually need... as far as my Hackbook is concerned, I'm booting a practically Vanilla 10.10.2)

... Kext-dev-mode=Yes (Which I think I don't actually need......)

Actually, it is a kernel flag "kext-dev-mode=1", and it is required to use unsigned kexts in /S/L/E on Yosemite.

Hi there,
I followed your guide, and when I try to boot, I get to the Apple screen with a progress bar at the bottom, but it doesnt fill, so when I try booting into verbose mode, I get a kernel panic.
Any ideas how I can fix it?
Thanks

PS. This is the kernel panic I get when I boot in verbose mode:
11003970_1424227034537221_1873202241_n.jpg

Please update your complete hardware details in your profile
(Profile link in upper right corner of this site)

System: Manufacturer/Model + Bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)

CPU: Detailed CPU model + Motherboard Chipset

Graphics: All graphics Devices + Screen Resolution

It will help others to find the solutions for your issues. Because no one can suggest exact solution for your isuues without knowing your hardware.

Hi there,
I followed your guide, and when I try to boot, I get to the Apple screen with a progress bar at the bottom, but it doesnt fill, so when I try booting into verbose mode, I get a kernel panic.
Any ideas how I can fix it?
Thanks

PS. This is the kernel panic I get when I boot in verbose mode:
View attachment 127467

Your kernal panic is because of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

In which method you created your bootable media (CLOVER/Unibeast)??

I have filled in my build as much as I can.

If you have only one build, that details should be in your Profile not on Signature. Update the details under "Basic Information" section after clicking Profile.

I followed this guide till the end, and then restarted, now I cannot boot.

That means you have completed the installation of Multibeast. Have you selected the option "Drivers=>Misc=>NullCPUPowermanagement" while installing Multibeast??

If not, the boot into the Installed OS X with the help of your UnibeastUSB and reinstall multibeast only with above mentioned option. Otherwise install patched AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext

Reboot your OS X and check.

Good Luck...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back