Contribute
Register

[Guide] Installing macOS Mojave (10.14.2) on Intel NUCi5BEH using Clover UEFI + updating to Mojave (10.14.6) on post#2

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Leesureone : Thanks for your reply. I see a couple of UA devices in that list that have the same tb3 controller and uses the same drivers and UA console. So that's hopeful. Actually I'm aware that it's a hit or miss and best thing is to buy an Apple successor for the MBP, but actually building a hack is something that I used to have a lot of fun (and frustration :) ) with. The idea is to see if it works and if not use the NUC as a Arduino/Xcode workstation instead of the audiostation and buy a mid 2020 new mini (if they will arrive then). The current MBP I have works fine with the TB2-->TB3 adapter but I need more CPU power and that NUC seems to have about 2.5 times the power compared to my late 2011 15 I7 quad. Also the idea of putting it in an Akasa Turing and make it totally silent is very appealing as I'm now hearing 6000 rpm nextto my ear all the time.

@Leesureone : Thanks for your reply. I see a couple of UA devices in that list that have the same tb3 controller and uses the same drivers and UA console. So that's hopeful. Actually I'm aware that it's a hit or miss and best thing is to buy an Apple successor for the MBP, but actually building a hack is something that I used to have a lot of fun (and frustration :) ) with. The idea is to see if it works and if not use the NUC as a Arduino/Xcode workstation instead of the audiostation and buy a mid 2020 new mini (if they will arrive then). The current MBP I have works fine with the TB2-->TB3 adapter but I need more CPU power and that NUC seems to have about 2.5 times the power compared to my late 2011 15 I7 quad.
As long as you know what you are getting into. :banghead::crazy::oops::rolleyes:
Edit: The next gen NUC10s are due out this month, that's even more dicey I guess being Hackintosh support is unknown at this point. I bought one prerelease and should have it after Xmas to test and will update everyone afterwards. There is a link to another forum on this site, a page or so before this, where I uploaded my EFI folder.

Yes I saw that the NUC10 and it's hexa cores where expected end of this month. But when I look at the geekbench results of those processors they don't seem to have a huge advantage over de NUC8. USB-C is nice and 64 gb support, but I think there is a lot more known about the NUC 8 with macOS. Also 32GB is enough, I work with 16 now and never have encounter max out of that. I need the CPU power more for Audio Units. Also it will take months before a fanless case will be on the market. Those Akasa cases seem to keep the CPU at 60C full load, I like the idea of that.

Yes I saw that the NUC10 and it's hexa cores where expected end of this month. But when I look at the geekbench results of those processors they don't seem to have a huge advantage over de NUC8. USB-C is nice and 64 gb support, but I think there is a lot more known about the NUC 8 with macOS. Also 32GB is enough, I work with 16 now and never have encounter max out of that. I need the CPU power more for Audio Units. Also it will take months before a fanless case will be on the market. Those Akasa cases seem to keep the CPU at 60C full load, I like the idea of that.
True about the benchmarks, some users have complained about the fan noise. I hear mine on the i5 and i3s more or less depending on cpu
load. There are bios adjustments for the fan behavior that can help but it’s not a silent solution.

The bios options for fan control seem pretty neat. I will order the Akasa if I can get the Apollo Twin X to work. If not I will keep the original case. I'm used to 6000 rpm high pitched MBP boise but I really don't like that and totally silent is a bless for an audio system. I'll pick one up beginning of next week and let it know here if the apollo will work. To prepare a bit already, is your post #428 still valid as of today and is downgrading of the NUC's bios still needed as I have read somewhere on this site?

The bios options for fan control seem pretty neat. I will order the Akasa if I can get the Apollo Twin X to work. If not I will keep the original case. I'm used to 6000 rpm high pitched MBP boise but I really don't like that and totally silent is a bless for an audio system. I'll pick one up beginning of next week and let it know here if the apollo will work. To prepare a bit already, is your post #428 still valid as of today and is downgrading of the NUC's bios still needed as I have read somewhere on this site?
The config.plist included in my EFI folder takes care of the RTC issues we had a while back so any bios version should work now. It also has a newer version of Clover that gets you past updates in Mojave and Catalina.

So to clarify you used my EFI folder? What hardware? Please update your signature to show what device you are working with. Do you have secure boot disabled? Also what media are you trying to install to, brand and model.

At the Clover Boot menu press the spacebar and toggle down to boot verbose (-v) and take a picture of where it hangs.
I have been using your EFI folder on an 8th gen i5 intel nuc (sorry for it not being in my signature) with 8gb of ram and I've been trying to install it on a Inland Premium 256GB SSD (m.2 nvme) the model is 511-19042349 (I think).

this is where clover stops:
IMG_3870.JPG

I have been using your EFI folder on an 8th gen i5 intel nuc (sorry for it not being in my signature) with 8gb of ram and I've been trying to install it on a Inland Premium 256GB SSD (m.2 nvme) the model is 511-19042349 (I think).

this is where clover stops:
View attachment 440647
That's weird. You can try adding this boot flag. Hit the spacebar and then at the clover boot screen add this command and cross your fingers.

-no_compat_check

That's weird. You can try adding this boot flag. Hit the spacebar and then at the clover boot screen add this command and cross your fingers.

-no_compat_check
thank you i'll try it and report back

-no_compat_check
it...it worked I've been working on this since October I just needed to add one thing to clover thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back