Contribute
Register

[Guide] Installing macOS Mojave (10.14.2) on Intel NUCi5BEH using Clover UEFI + updating to Mojave (10.14.6) on post#2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My intel NUC but I figure it out, just downloaded the latest clover version instead of the Rehabman Fork and it’s worked but Again stumbled on another issue, my nvme Ssd was not compatible it’s freeze the install « 970 Evo plus » just ordered an 970 pro, will installed it Tuesday or Thursday, but as far as for now the 0071 Bios seem to work with the patch in the Config.plist can’t wait to have it to finish my build.

Had the exact same issue when upgrading BIOS, just added this in your Config.plist
In the patch section, insert following section:
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Fix NUC BIOS DSDT Device(RTC)</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
oAqTU1RBUwE=
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
oAqRCv8L//8=
</data>
</dict>

So just tried Bios 66 this morning and the result is as expected. Cant downgrade to that either, so looks like I'm stuck on Bios 71 till a future update may fix it. Will be interesting to see if any other users on here report the same experience. Previously I was easily able to downgrade from 61 to 44 and 61 to 56. Very weird.

The power button trick and then hitting f4 at the menu is what has always worked for me. Some folks say they have to change the jumpier setting inside the machine and then it worked for them. Who knows why

4. press and hold power button until it turns from blue to orange, then release power button
5. wait for the bios recovery menu, press F4

There's only one way to find out...

Since you've upgraded to BIOS v71, can I ask you for a favor? In Clover boot screen, can you please dump DSDT/SSDT tables via F4 on keyboard, and pack them all from EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin/* in a ZIP file and share them? (this involves mounting EFI partition when you're safely on Desktop, obviously, but I am sure you know that :D ).

Then, I can try finding in each AML file (perhaps the DSDT.aml is to look for) the hex pattern of the search string "A00A9353 54415301", replace it via Hex Fiend.app with "A00A910A FF0BFFFF" and then decompile both original and patched (via iasl) to see the difference in a human form, and report back... What do you think @Leesureone ?

Anyone is very welcome to dump BIOS v71 and share, too!
Thank you in advance!
Here you go @konsti. I appreciate you taking the deep dive on this, one of the Moderators had volunteered back in early April to do the same thing but that went nowhere.

Attachments

• origin.zip
    72.9 KB · Views: 108
Here you go @konsti. I appreciate you taking the deep dive on this, one of the Moderators had volunteered back in early April to do the same thing but that went nowhere.
Ladies and gentlemen, here is the culprit. Many thanks to @Leesureone for sharing the BIOS v71 unpatched version! Decompiling (via iasl) the original DSDT.aml and the one where I replaced the value (per the Clover patch hack) shows the following main difference in BIOS v71 (and I assume v6x too):

BIOS v71.png

Please, can @RehabMan kindly post his thoughts? Or someone that knows his/her way around DSDTs? I don't know properly the ACPI specification, and this change from LEqual to LOr (including values) is puzzling. Why not change the Return value instead?

Variable STAS (that's replaced) seems defined all the way in the top and then used in Device (AWAC) and Device (RTC) to define some returned value in Method _STA.

EDIT: I wonder why the Clover's "FixRTC" setting doesn't just work? Is it just removing IRQNoFlags?

I am attaching the two DSDTs, for anyone interested. Many thanks!

Attachments

• 2xDSDTs.zip
    193 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Please, can @RehabMan kindly post his thoughts? Or someone that knows his/her way around DSDTs? I cannot read well ACPI structure and this change from LEqual to LOr (including values) is puzzling. Why not change the Return value instead?

Variable STAS (that's replaced) seems defined all the way in the top and then used in Device (AWAC) and Device (RTC) to define some returned value in Method _STA.

Hi @konsti , I originally posted this patch to the other NUC thread on these forums to fix upgrading the BIOS from 0051 to 0066. I produced it using a patch for a different motherboard that had been posted on a forum elsewhere.

It seems this DSDT issue applies to multiple motherboards which suggests that they are working off common ACPI code.

Essentially the patch ensures that the RTC is always returned as active (value FF) which is required for MacOS to boot. The AWAC is apparently an alternative real time clock counter to RTC that works with Windows but not MacOS.

Thanks @nickhx I guess you are correct. An earlier search also took me to this post here (months ago) talking about the same issue on modern ASRock BIOSes needing the same fix.

Perhaps we can somehow ask the Clover developers to include a new option, as it seems to affect newer BIOSes and platforms? I have no idea where too start... Plus, I would want to understand the issue a little deeper and see if there are any more robust solutions. But I understand per your post, that Method _STA must always Return (0x0F) for MacOS to boot, thanks.

Last edited:
Hi @konsti , I originally posted this patch to the other NUC thread on these forums to fix upgrading the BIOS from 0051 to 0066. I produced it using a patch for a different motherboard that had been posted on a forum elsewhere.

It seems this DSDT issue applies to multiple motherboards which suggests that they are working off common ACPI code.

Essentially the patch ensures that the RTC is always returned as active (value FF) which is required for MacOS to boot. The AWAC is apparently an alternative real time clock counter to RTC that works with Windows but not MacOS.
Credit where credit is due!

Hello,
my NUC8i7BEH2 came with the BIOS 071. A downgrade to the BIOS 056 was not possible.

Is there already an EFI config for the NUC8i7BEH2?

Hello,
my NUC8i7BEH2 came with the BIOS 071. A downgrade to the BIOS 056 was not possible.

Is there already an EFI config for the NUC8i7BEH2?
There are several EFI folders in this thread as well as the main NUC7/8 thread started by Rehabman. Search and familiarize yourself with what’s there and why before you chose but note there is no difference between an EFI folder for an NUC8i3, 5 or 7. The only real difference between them is the processor which does not need to be specified in the config.plist or supported by a specific driver or kext. To move ahead using this guide you do need an updated version of clover, the drivers specified and preferably updated Kexts if you want to install Mojave 14.5. Or pick one of the already built EFI folders uploaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back