Contribute
Register

[Guide] Installing macOS Mojave (10.14.2) on Intel NUCi5BEH using Clover UEFI + updating to Mojave (10.14.6) on post#2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everybody,

I have just completed my first ever Hackintosh with my NUC8i5BEH. It is running smoothly. I was inspired for this build by Snazzy Labs video on the Nuc.

Many thanks to @RehabMan and @Cric for these guides! The Web is a great place because of people like you.

Here are a few pointers to other noobs. Hope it helps.
  • In the video from Snazzy Labs, it is hinted that the installation is a "once click install script". This is misleading. This process is well documented and clear in the guide here on TonyMacX86, but it takes several steps and it took me 5-6 hours over many days (remember, I'm a total noob).
  • I had two problems. The first is that I had copied the Kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts instead of EFI/Clover/kexts/Other. Mojave Installation froze right at the Apple logo just before it would actually boot up for the first time.
  • The second is that in the install guide, I understood that you need to type this complete string into Terminal :
Code:
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh
In reality for it to work you need to first run :
Code:
./download.sh
And then :
Code:
./install_downloads.sh

Wifi and Bluetooth do not work. I got an Edimax N150 EW-7811un Dongle to get Wifi, but it takes 1 minute for Wifi to kick in on boot, I would love to find a compatible internal M.2 WiFi/Bluetooth card if anybody can recommend one that will work with a NUC8 (no mini PCIe slot).

Also I had poor audio, as if only getting 40% of the sounds. Installing VooDoo HDA solved this for me.

Hi, is anyone successfully using ig-platform-id 0x3e9b0007 with Macmini8,1 with a NUC8i5BEH? I can get it to boot but I get graphics glitching when using Preview.

Just one last update: I returned my Nuc8i5BEH2 because I was not able to open BIOS with four different monitors and with all methods the Intel-community had to offer. I ordered a NUC7i5BNH instead. To open BIOS was not easy (3-sec-Power-button-method + changing the aspect ratio after the menu showed up), but finally possible.

Did anybody had success with a NUC8i5BEH2 so far? I am curios if Intel changed the hardware with this 2nd version of the NUC8i5...

Last edited:
IT WORKED!!! Your guide was brilliantly-easy to follow, no hiccups what-so-ever!

To anybody wondering:
  • Using the current 10.14.3 Mojave installer works beautifully
  • I used @Cric kexts.zip and drivers64UEFI.zip files, but I updates a few of the kexts (Lilu, WhateverGreen)
  • 3.5 Audio Jack WORKS (after Installing VoodooHDA.kext properly, with KextBeast)
    • As @radovanko pointed out, the levels are slightly low but i can live with it
      • Also I think there's a way to increase it, using SoundFlower-- I need to read the developer's guide when I have more time. For now, I'm happy!
  • Sleep/Wake works perfectly
  • Have not tested the Thunderbolt 3 port yet
  • Internal Bluetooth/Wifi doesn't work (obviously)
  • Internal SD Card reader does not work
    • as @Grom51 mentioned, it's not worth adding "Sinetek-rtsx.kext," which presents issues
That's all for now. Attached is a picture of the finished product. I'm rebuilding an iMac G3 soon, with the NUC8i5BEH driving it. I'll post a step-by-step guide when I'm finished, probably around late spring :) Thank you again, Cric and @RehabMan . I am so thankful for this community and the people that make it happen!

Attachments

• NUC macOS Installation.jpg
    NUC macOS Installation.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 344
  • Gutting the iMac.jpg
    Gutting the iMac.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 323
As with many others, I'd like to thank you for the guide. It made the process very easy compared to some past builds.

I did have a few issues, which didn't stop the build, but I thought I'd list them here for reference.
  • The installation process would frequently hang with 2x8GB crucial memory modules ... removing one of them fixed this (I tried both modules individually, and each worked fine, but having two in caused 'couldn't allocate runtime area' errors). Once installation completed, I was able to have both memory modules running in the system without issues.
  • After running the './mount_efi.sh' script, it mounted the volume under the name ESP, not EFI, so I had to modify the following copy command to match.
  • Instead of asking people to change the FakeID manually each time they restart, why not instruct them to edit it in the config.plist? I did this, and it seemed to work without issue ... and it saved me a lot of setting changing when attempting to diagnose the memory issue.
Once again, thank you for producing and sharing the guide.

Tried it today and worked like a charm! Fully operational (save BT & Wifi).

1 Question....how can i get Clover to skip or at least boot to macOS without keyboard input? I have tried numerous methods found online and nada.

Not sure if anybody replied to this for you yet, but if not, here's your answer: :)

Thanks to all for these guided and updates!!
NUC8i7BEH1
I do have a couple of questions before I waist anyones time. I have a Qnap thunderbolt 3 to 10GbaseE adapter. When I boot to windows 10 it is picked up and works well. When I boot to OSX 10.14.2 it gets power but nothing else, and I don't show anything for thunderbolt device tree in System Report like I do on my 2018 Mac Mini. Should I? Is thunderbolt not working for all devices yet? Should I be seeing a thunderbolt controller device in the System Report like I do on my Mini?
I used Rehabman's install guide and keep running the scripts looking for updates to be installed to see if that makes any changes.
If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I can also do testing with a few devices.
Cheers

Last edited:
Hello

Similar question to playingwell in post #83

When I do a system report, I don't see a Thunderbolt driver loaded. I don't have a thunderbolt device connected, so I am unsure if that is the reason the driver isn't loaded.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for these guided and updates!!
NUC8i7BEH1
I do have a couple of questions before I waist anyones time. I have a Qnap thunderbolt 3 to 10GbaseE adapter. When I boot to windows 10 it is picked up and works well. When I boot to OSX 10.14.2 it gets power but nothing else, and I don't show anything for thunderbolt device tree in System Report like I do on my 2018 Mac Mini. Should I? Is thunderbolt not working for all devices yet? Should I be seeing a thunderbolt controller device in the System Report like I do on my Mini?
I used Rehabman's install guide and keep running the scripts looking for updates to be installed to see if that makes any changes.
If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I can also do testing with a few devices.
Cheers

@RehabMan and the other developers have been unable to get it to work on the NUC8i. I'm not sure if it's on everybody's agenda atm, tbh... At least USB-C [somewhat] works! Attached is a picture of what should be showing, if Thunderbolt controller was detected and working (note, from my 2012 Macbook Air):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 4.43.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 4.43.00 PM.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 181
I followed these steps today on a new NUC8i3BEH1 and I'm having a bit of trouble. Everything worked to plan until I got to step #8 - the machine does the initial boot from Clover on USB => HDD, and it gets into the initial user account experience (i.e. Language selection => setting up iCloud).

The machine works for a few seconds (i.e. enough to scroll the language list a bit) then immediately reboots. A few things I've tried:

1. Changing FakeID to the value that it should be instead of the dummy value
  2. Using MacMini8,1 in the SMCBIOS information
  3. Triple-checking my BIOS settings, trying to disable any unnecessary features

Because the machine doesn't kernel panic, I have almost nothing in the way of debugging it. Any ideas on how I can get more info about what's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back