Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

Thanks for the guide - is there a thread that deals with what kexts get copied over to library extensions by default when installing clover?
There is no need for a thread - Clover installs nothing at all to /Library/Extensions.

@ModMike - The question may have been badly worded, what I want an answer to is - What do the default kexts that get installed when you install Clover do and which can you remove - the isssue for me is that whilst we have lots of discussion about where the kexts go (which for the most part seems flexible) we seem not to have a place where each of the default kexts is listed and its function described. (not wanting to propose others do the same but FYI I install no kexts on the efi partition and use a special boot usb whenever needed).

Last edited:
There is no need for a thread - Clover installs nothing at all to /Library/Extensions.
Ok. Lets try again. In my L/E folder are several kexts which Id like to know about - When do they get instaled and why and if they can be removed, they are ACS6x, ArcMSR, ATTO* (x3), CalDigitalHDProDrv.kext, EnergyDriver, Highpoint* (x2), PromiseSTEX & SoftRAID.

Ok. Lets try again. In my L/E folder are several kexts which Id like to know about - When do they get instaled and why and if they can be removed, they are ACS6x, ArcMSR, ATTO* (x3), CalDigitalHDProDrv.kext, EnergyDriver, Highpoint* (x2), PromiseSTEX.kext & SoftRAID.
they are part of macOS, best leave them

Ok. Lets try again. In my L/E folder are several kexts which Id like to know about - When do they get instaled and why and if they can be removed, they are ACS6x, ArcMSR, ATTO* (x3), CalDigitalHDProDrv.kext, EnergyDriver, Highpoint* (x2), PromiseSTEX & SoftRAID.

Here is a list of standard Apple kexts. You may have additional ones for 3rd party hardware.

If you are concerned that you may have overlapping Hackintosh kexts from previous installs, just make a list of what you have in others and remove them from /l/e and /s/l/e, if you subscribe to my position. In either case, everyone agrees that there should never be any Hackintosh related kexts in /s/l/e.

Here is a list of standard Apple kexts. You may have additional ones for 3rd party hardware.

View attachment 393564

If you are concerned that you may have overlapping Hackintosh kexts from previous installs, just make a list of what you have in others and remove them from /l/e and /s/l/e, if you subscribe to my position. In either case, everyone agrees that there should never be any Hackintosh related kexts in /s/l/e.
yes, install 3rd party kexts to /Library/Extensions, never /System/Library/Extensions unless you use older OS El Capitan

@RehabMan sorry to bother you, but could you take a look here? I tried to report a bug (Inject Kexts' "Detect" and "No" flags are broken once again in Clover), but then I've been told by another developer that some kexts need to be injected, like WhateverGreen: is it possible to have a definite answer on the matter? What I wrote there is just what I read in this guide. I'd really like to know which answer is the technically correct one. Thank you for your hard work!

Please make more threads about KEXTS with more details shown its jobs ; Specially Lilu and FakeSMC and the Kexts which should be in its directory ;
Still not clear the point of duplicating Kexts in Clover and L/E
I've tried many times to install some Kexts to L/E but it doesn't load like AppleALC.kext.
FakeSMC and Lilu in L/E = KP

Thank you

Back