Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

Thanks Nodarkthings for the quick response. I guess the only two that I question are the 200 and 300 XHCI injector kexts. I seem to remember that they were recommended for the orginal installation
XHCI is about USB3. Searching for "rehabman injector 300 series XHCI" gives results that say it's been replaced by another one in USBInjectAll repository...

But it's rather recommended to patch USB via Hackintool method (or other ones, my favourite one being Corpnewt USBMap method — just search for those terms ;-) )
Note that USBInjectAll should be used only during the time you create the patch, although plenty of people leave it constantly enabled...
N.B.: all patching methods generate a USBMap.kext (name can vary) and a SSDT, they do the same thing, so don't use both (SSDT is probably better).
In your case, the first step should probably be to update USBInjectAll (and all the other kexts if not already done... ;-) ) with recent versions and see if it works without your 200 and 300 kexts (I bet it is).

Note that USBInjectAll should be used only during the time you create the patch, although plenty of people leave it constantly enabled...

@Nodarkthings,

That is not correct ....

USBInjectAll will indeed inject all USB ports as long as the no port limit kernel patch is enabled and there is no associated USB SSDT ... USBInjectAll is only meant to be used in this way for initial USB port mapping/learning.

When USBInjectAll is used with an associated SSDT (Usually called SSDT-UIAC that defines the USB port mappings) and the no port limit patch is disabled then it will only inject and activate the USB ports defined in the SSDT .... all other USB ports will be disabled, in order for USBInjectAll to work correctly in this mode it must remain enabled.

USBInjectAll is still the preferred method for many users as it was the first true way to create a working USB port map on a Hackintosh system ... much later new tools where created that merge the port injection code of USBInjectAll with the port map of SSDT-UIAC (such as the Corpnewt solution you mention and the USBPorts kext generated by Hackintool), however when it comes to the crunch all these new tools essentially imitate what USBInjectAll + SSDT-UIAC does the only real difference is they offer a GUI for the user to learn which ports to keep and which to disable although this can easily be done by looking in the IOREG.

USBInjectAll was originally developed by ReHabMan who's many contributions to the community are still used to this day, his original post explaining how to use USBInjectAll is here :-

I Just felt it was important to clarify your post so that others do not get the wrong understanding .... in the future please be careful when posting guidance and make sure that what you write is correct. Posts such as yours above only serve to confuse new users as it contradicts what is detailed in other guides.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@Nodarkthings,

That is not correct ....

USBInjectAll will indeed inject all USB ports as long as the no port limit kernel patch is enabled and there is no associated USB SSDT ... USBInjectAll is only meant to be used in this way for initial USB port mapping/learning.

When USBInjectAll is used with an associated USB SSDT (Usually called SSDT-UIAC) and the no port limit is disabled then it will only inject and activate the USB ports defined in the SSDT .... all other USB ports will be disabled, ignorer for USBInjectAll to work correctly it must remain enabled.

USBInjectAll is still the preferred method for many users as it was the first true way to create a working USB port map on a Hackintosh system ... much later new tools where created that merge the port injection code of USBInjectAll with the port map of SSDT-UIAC such as the Corpnewt solution you mention and the USBPorts kext generated by Hackintool, however when it comes to the crunch all these new tools essentially imitate what USBInjectAll + SSDT-UIAC does the only real difference is they offer a GUI for the user to learn which ports to keep and which to disable although this can easily be done by looking in the IOREG.

USBInjectAll was originally developed by ReHabMan who's many contributions to the community are still used to this day, his original post explant how to use USBInjectAll is here :-

Just needed to clarify your post so that others do not get the wrong understanding ....

Cheers
Jay
Thanks a lot for those precisions. ;)
Of course I revere Rehabman as much as you do and will eternally be grateful for all he brought us! :thumbup:
EDIT: and I'm terribly sorry he vanished away with nobody apparently knowing what has become of him.

Last edited:
EDIT: and I'm terribly sorry he vanished away with nobody apparently knowing what has become of him.

@Nodarkthings,

After many years in the community and giving up most of his spare time to helping new users and developing new Hackintosh methods, ReHabMan decided that it was simply time to retire from the community and enjoy his spare time engaged in more important life affirming tasks.

Of course all of us Mods at TMx86 miss him and his experience but we also respect his decision to move on.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Do you have a guide for Chimera? A mod sent me here even though I stated Chimera.

Please explain what you are trying to do?

Installing kexts in the OS X or macOS system is different to injecting them from the boot loader.

:)

Back