Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

when peeps start to migrate to OpenCore, then you probably won't have a choice but to install to EFI
I have no problem with anyone who wishes to use OC instead of CLOVER and who doesn't wish to install 3rd-party kexts in /L/E. I was hoping to post a 3rd-party kext installation question in a thread dedicated to the installation of 3rd-party kexts in /L/E.

I was hoping that, for once, I had managed to post a question that wasn't Off-Topic. :)

I have no problem with anyone who wishes to use OC instead of CLOVER and who doesn't wish to install 3rd-party kexts in /L/E. I was hoping to post a 3rd-party kext installation questions in a thread dedicated to the installation of 3rd-party kexts in /L/E.
that's fair enough

but if the team that creates the kexts do not support for installing to /L/E but rather in the EFI, there may not be much you can do about that

assume your sound is working ok with your kext in /L/E ? and most warnings can probably be ignored anyway

assume your sound is working ok with your kext in /L/E ? and most warnings can probably be ignored anyway
AppleALC.kext 1.5.4 does appear to work correctly when installed in /L/E (despite the warnings), so I suspect that you are correct about ignoring the warnings.

There really isn't a reason anymore to install kexts into L/E anymore imo, especially with OpenCore. OpenCore injects kexts right into the kernel collection/prelinked kernel when boot.efi asks for it (this is why OC so particular about order - it has to do the job of a linker), and allows you to keep SIP enabled. You do yourself a disservice by keeping SIP disabled a lot of the time, and leave yourself open to situations like when Chrome caused systems to not boot anymore.

There really isn't a reason anymore to install kexts into L/E anymore imo, especially with OpenCore. OpenCore injects kexts right into the kernel collection/prelinked kernel when boot.efi asks for it (this is why OC so particular about order - it has to do the job of a linker), and allows you to keep SIP enabled. You do yourself a disservice by keeping SIP disabled a lot of the time, and leave yourself open to situations like when Chrome caused systems to not boot anymore.
Good info. Now that CLOVER r5124+ uses OC kext injection, we'll all benefit from this. Don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to OC - just comfortable with CLOVER.

Good info. Now that CLOVER r5124+ uses OC kext injection, we'll all benefit from this. Don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to OC - just comfortable with CLOVER.
as Clover has started to mash OpenCore elements into clover, this could go either way, but may be better off using OpenCore as it is a lot cleaner the way it works, but now we appear to be going slightly off-topic :)

Don't forget about the changes to kexts in Big Sur. /Library/Extensions/ is not an option for Big Sur.

Don't forget about the changes to kexts in Big Sur. /Library/Extensions/ is not an option for Big Sur.
Someone needs to change the title of this thread to include Big Sur :)

The main item to worry about is that Lilu loads first. All the sample plists provided in Open Core have this set as #1 to load. It is quite easy to inject kexts with OC, just place them in the Kexts folder, and open the config.plist with Propertree and select "OC Snapshot" it will add all the dependencies in the proper order for the kexts in the Kernel Add section. In fact it will do the same for ACPI SSDT adds or removals, Drivers etc... After adding all your drivers, kexts SSDTs etc, use Open Core "Sanity Checker' to check for errors. Open sanitizer checker and set the OC version i.e 0.6.0 and set the system type i.e. Ivy Bridge, Haskell etc.. then drag your config plist to the checker. It will list all the errors as well as green light your correct settings. open the config.plist with proper tree and set it alongside of the Checker to change items as needed then save and your good to go.
All the sample plists provided in Open Core have this set as #1 to load.
This config.plist shows FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext as "0" to load. Is this correct?
Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 10.20.15 PM.png

After the latest Security Updates 2020-005 and 2020-006 in Mojave, having Lilu, Whatevergreen and AppleALC in /L/E causes system freeze after a while. These kexts were always the last loaded kexts before panic. Moving these to clover/efi fixed this for me.

Back