Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

I got things to work with this driver, but it doesn't load automatically
Hi! Just out of curiosity: did you intentionally picked up version 1.2.7 instead of the 1.2.11?
I see in that other thread that somebody got better results with different versions...

I don't understand your question; it's very vague. Are you saying the older version works better?

The link you gave at Soundforge is for version 1.2.7 while the last Multibeast/Rehabman version is 1.2.11 but on the page I mentioned — if you read it :mrgreen: — a few people say indeed that an older version works better (in their case 1.2.9).
So apparently, you haven't tried other versions than 1.2.7.
I'm using v1.2.11 on El Capitan, it's also working under High Sierra if the peripheral was connected at boot, but there I'm using instead CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext and CalDigitFastIO.kext — only downside : they are a little slow at wake up.
Note that I don't use USB3 frequently, and I have no idea what would work better for your particular case, just try. I'm just giving my two cents, if it can help you.

Edit: the up-to-date way is probably this one, for more recent platforms/OS

The link I provided has version 1.2.11

I'm running OS X.15.2, and it won't let me do anything other than read /System/Library/Extensions. Is there an update to these methods? I have an old kext "AlesisFirewire.kext" that has to be installed in the System/Library/Extensions folder. I tried all of the methods above and can't get it to work. PS, I'm doing this on an actual iMac this time.

1) Don't touch /System 2) It has to be a 64bit driver 3) use the Hackintool.app

I tried the Hackintool app, and got these errors:

touch /Library/Extensions
kextcache -i /
KernelCache ID: ................................
Untrusted kexts are not allowed
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) denied: /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/6A1FD412-47CF-423E-ACBA-86A66DAF4290.kext
Bundle (/Library/Extensions/AlesisFirewire.kext) failed to validate, deleting: /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/6A1FD412-47CF-423E-ACBA-86A66DAF4290.kext
Unable to stage kext (/Library/Extensions/AlesisFirewire.kext) to secure location.
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) denied: /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/074C9FB4-0942-42AD-A3BE-A6F04298D8A6.kext
Bundle (/Library/Extensions/AlesisFirewire.kext) failed to validate, deleting: /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/074C9FB4-0942-42AD-A3BE-A6F04298D8A6.kext
Unable to stage kext (/Library/Extensions/AlesisFirewire.kext) to secure location.
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) denied: /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/B06EDA31-4D4B-41B3-B4FF-6171CDEAFD49.kext
Bundle (/Library/Extensions/AlesisFirewire.kext) failed to validate, deleting: /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/B06EDA31-4D4B-41B3-B4FF-6171CDEAFD49.kext
Kext rejected due to invalid signature: <OSKext 0x7fe750b7d730 [0x7fff9382c090]> { URL = "file:///Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext/", ID = "com.apple.macos.driver.AppleUSBEthernetHost" }

Beyond the errors I get, it appears to automatically install it at/Library/Extensions/ instead of System/Library/Extensions/

You didn't follow the instructions. Go to the OP on this thread and search for "Catalina"

10. Summary

1. Copy FakeSMC and only critical kext's needed to run the MacOS Installer, Updater or Recovery to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
2. Install all 3rd party kexts (including FakeSMC) required to run MacOS in /Library/Extensions
3. Set Clover -> System Parameters -> Inject Kexts to "Detect"​
Thank you for this wonderful guide and great explanations!

I have three questions:
  1. You're stating that if Clover detects FakeSMC in /L/E it will not load anything from /Other. Prerequisite is the "Detect" flag. Does this definitely apply to VirtualSMC as well?
  2. If I copy the kexts with the finder to /L/E and then run the Hackingtool to repair the permissions and rebuild the cache is that sufficient? Or do I have to "Install" them with the Hackingtool. Does Hackingtool maybe set any other parameters in the system?
  3. How can I verify which kexts were loaded from L/E and which ones from /Other?
I personally use VirtualSMC for ages now and was not able to pin down any issues to it. Also LiluFriend - never used it, didn't even know it exists and what for for a very long time.

Thanks in advance!

You didn't follow the instructions. Go to the OP on this thread and search for "Catalina"
I don't mean to hijack the topic, but I can report back that I got my AlesisFirewire.kext to load to /System/Library/Extensions. It's a pretty beautiful thing.

I'm now using my old 8-input Alesis MultiMix8FireWire mixer with a 2017 iMac running OS 10.15.2. I'm using the mixer to a Firewire400-to-Firewire800 cable plugged into a FireWire800-to-Thunderbolt2 adapter which is plugged into a Thunderbolt2-to-Thunderbolt3 adapter into the USBc port on my iMac.

I tested it out in GarageBand, and it works - multi-track recording at once and everything! Thanks, tonymacx86 community!

Steps I used to get it working:

1. Boot the iMac into recovery mode via [Cmd] [R].
2. Once at the recovery screen, go to Utilities>Terminal and type the following:
csrutil disable; csrutil status [enter]
3. Then type the following:
nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" [enter] and reboot.
4. Once rebooted, place the kext on the desktop and run Hackintool.app.
a. Select "Tools", then the first little kext icon at the bottom, and then follow the steps.
b. Verify that it shows up in /Library/Extensions. If it doesn't, then go to step c.
c. Use kextBeast and set it to /Library/Extensions. If it doesn't work, then go to step d.
d. Open Terminal and type the following:

sudo spctl --master-disable
sudo mount -uw
sudo killall Finder
sudo cp -R ~/Desktop/AlesisFirewire.kext /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -v -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -v -R 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -v -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions
sudo touch /Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -i /

e. Try kextBeast again, but try the /System/Library/Extensions folder as the target again.
f. If it still doesn't show up again, then run the normal "AlesisFirewire Driver [v3.5.6].dmg" driver installer from Alesis. It should magically work this time.
5. Reboot.
6. If it still doesn't work, then do step 4-5 again.
7. For kicks, run the permissions fixer.
8. Reboot back into recovery mode and go to Utilities>Terminal and type the following:
csrutil enablecsrutil status [enter]
nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=0" [enter]
reboot [enter]
9. Verify that the audio source shows up now in System/Library/Extensions, and as a sound input in System Preferences, and test it out in Garage Band with multiple sources at once.

I expect someone could shorten all of these steps into something super efficient. The steps in the initial post of this thread didn't work by themselves on an actual iMac. But, it's working now. Woot woot!:clap::headbang:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 4.30.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 4.30.58 AM.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 5.09.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 5.09.37 AM.png
    297.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 5.12.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 5.12.28 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 123
Back