Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

6. How does Clover know to Inject kexts or Not ?

You need to set Clover -> System Parameters -> Inject Kexts to "Detect"

With this setting, Clover will look for FakeSMC in /Library/Extensions or the MacOS Kernel Cache when you select/boot MacOS, if 'detected' Clover will not inject any kexts and leave MacOS to load all the 3rd party kexts (including FakeSMC) from /Library/Extensions (or the kernel cache) which is the preferred and recommended method for all the reasons stated in section 4. of this guide.

If Clover does not 'detect' FakeSMC in /Library/Extensions or the MacOS Kernel Cache such as when booting Recovery or a MacOS update then Clover will inject all the kexts from the EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder.
@jaymonkey (or anybody else who really knows for sure): does the current Clover Clover_v2.5k_r5018 also look for VirtualSMC.kext in /L/E to determine if to load kexts from E/C/k/O or not, or does it still exclusively look for FakeSMC?

It would be great if that part could be clarified right in the sections I quoted. Thank you all.

Does the current Clover Clover_v2.5k_r5018 also look for VirtualSMC.kext in /L/E to determine if to load kexts from E/C/k/O or not

@bugsb,

Quote from the Section 1 of the kext guide :-

The Kext Guide said:
Note: If you are using VirtualSMC in place of FakeSMC then you should replace all instances of FakeSMC mentioned in this guide with the Lilu and VirtualSMC kexts, some users have reported that it is necessary to use LiluFriend to load VirtualSMC early enough in the boot process - see posts #7 to #13 for more info.

I think the above note answers your question but in summary:

If FakeSMC (or Lilu + VirtualSMC) exists in /L/E and the Clover option "System Parameters -> Inject Kexts" is set to "detect" then Clover will NOT Inject any kexts when booting MacOS.

This has been the case for sometime now and continues to be the case with Clover r5000 +

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Great guide.
Everything worked with VirtualSMC. No problems at all.
One question, if Clover detects and run only the kexts from L/E when they exists, why to delete kexts from Clover? They will be ignored anyway... Why bother? To update the system to a new version is not better to have a fully functional system with Clover with all the kexts?
Thanks

Great guide.
Everything worked with VirtualSMC. No problems at all.
One question, if Clover detects and run only the kexts from L/E when they exists, why to delete kexts from Clover? They will be ignored anyway... Why bother? To update the system to a new version is not better to have a fully functional system with Clover with all the kexts?
Thanks
you should keep your essential kexts in clover for system updates

@CoolFX,

Injecting kexts for system updates and MacSO install takes time (as they are not cached) so its best to reduce the number of kexts injected to help speed things up. Also some kexts can cause issues or even a KP with the Installer, Updater and Recovery as only a minimal kernel is loaded so its best to only inject the critical kexts such as FakeSMC (or Lilu + VirtualSMC).

Cheers
Jay

Hello.

I am already having a machine running 10.14.5 relatively stable.
However, I am still using old version of WEG where some purple lines shows up during booting.
I read that the updated WEG will solve this issue, and now I want to try update it.

Reading at this guide, I suppose my steps would be:
1. Removing existing Lilu+WEG kext installed at L/E by dragging it to Trash.
2. Installing the new Lilu+WEG to L/E using Hackintool.
3. Rebuilt the cache.
4. Replace Lilu+WEG at EFI/Clover/kext/Other using the newest version.
5. Reboot the system.

Is that the correct process?
Time and again I messed up my system after doing some tweaks, so I want to be very careful this time as my current build I think is stable enough.

Thanks to provide some help.

@soeryobadja : sure, that sounds safe. More important is to ALWAYS have AT LEAST one backed up clone of your OS which you can boot up, too. I actually always have several clones, one on the internal SDD on a separate partition, and one on an external drive.

Last edited:
I am already having a machine running 10.14.5 relatively stable. However, I am still using old version of WEG where some purple lines shows up during booting. I read that the updated WEG will solve this issue, and now I want to try update it.

I suppose my steps would be ....

.... Is that the correct process?

@soeryobadja,

The latest version of Lilu + WEG should resolve the purple lines issue during MacOS Boot phase ... it worked for me with my Vega 64 GPU ... although I have seen some reports where has not worked in some cases ....

The procedure you listed is correct ... however there is no need to manually rebuild the kext cache if you install the new kexts using Hackintool as it repairs file permissions and rebuilds the kext cache for you as part of the kext install process.

If you are using any other Lilu plug-in's such as AppleALC, AirportBrcmFixup ... etc then you should update those to the latest release version at the same time.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@soeryobadja : sure, that sounds safe. More important is to ALWAYS have AT LEAST one backed up clone of your OS which you can boot up, too. I actually always have several clones, one on the internal SDD on a separate partition, and one on an external drive.
@bugsb Thank you for your guidance. Wow, that sounds like a very strong multi layered mechanism. Can I have the clones on the internal but different SSD, in it having its own EFI folder, that I initiate if my original SSD broke down due to any update I made?

If you are using any other Lilu plug-in's such as AppleALC, AirportBrcmFixup ... etc then you should update those to the latest release version at the same time.
@jaymonkey Thank you for your response. I also want to shift from FakeSMC currently I used in my system, to using VirtualSMC. Is it already stable enough to be used? Do I still need Lilufriend as some posts suggested so?

Thank you.

@jaymonkey Thank you for your response. I also want to shift from FakeSMC currently I used in my system, to using VirtualSMC. Is it already stable enough to be used? Do I still need Lilufriend as some posts suggested so?

@soeryobadja,

I've stuck with FakeSMC to-date as it works fine on all my Hacks and have never had an issue with it .... having said that I do keep an eye on VirtualSMC's development and recently I've noticed it being used in more and more builds so I think its fair to say that its stability and compatibility is improving with every new release.

I would say that it is probably advisable to use LiluFriend as a belt and braces approach since SMC emulation needs to be loaded very early in the MacOS boot phase and without it there is no way to guarantee the kext load order from /L/E.

Cheers
Jay

Back