Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

1. Make sure you have the boot argument kext-dev-mode=1
Good job! But I have to point out this boot argument has already been deprecated. Considering this guide is made for OS X 10.11 EI Captain and later, we don't need to use this argument any more. In fact, shouldn't use.
For Hackintosh, since the “rootless=0” & “kext-dev-mode=1” boot flags will be are removed in the 10.11 and it is not safe to use (put down all these protection and open the gate for everyone), setting the proper CSR BootArgs flags by bootloader should be a more secure solution instead of just kick all these guards away.
reference: https://linuslin.xyz/archives/sip-rootless-internal-in-el-capitan/

This is a really Great write up, easy to follow, and I followed it to a T, and everything seems to be working fine. Thank you very much.

I think I know that the kexts in /l/E are loading ok because in system report under ethernet card it says:Kext name: IntelMausiEthernet.kext. Location: /Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext.

Now I loaded all my kexts out of Other and they are all in /L/E, but I have NOT moved any of the kexts out of Other. Everything seems to be running fine.

Question is: Is it ok to leave the kexts in Other?

Jim S
yes, keep your essential kexts in clover/kexts/other

Good job! But I have to point out this boot argument has already been deprecated. Considering this guide is made for OS X 10.11 EI Captain and later, we don't need to use this argument any more.

@a361445613,

Thanks for brining it to my attention, I'll amend the appropriate section on the next guide update.

Cheers
Jay

If you run “kextstat” in the Terminal it’ll list all loaded kext, is that what you are after?
The command "kextstat" will list all of them injected or not so this isn't what I'm after.
I simply want to know if there is way to see if those kext are injected by clover or loaded by MacOS once the system is up and running.
In other words check if my setup is woking like it should.

I guess I just have to accept that all is working fine and that they are loaded once I carefully followed every step in this guide.

Thanks for the guide - is there a thread that deals with what kexts get copied over to library extensions by default when installing clover? I notice several kexts (dealing with sata drivers mainly) that always get copied over and which seem not to have any effect. Should we be removing them from /L/E?

Back