Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

Well this was really clear until I read the conflicting comments Guess i'll wait for a consensus on lilu etc
you can install all kexts to /Library/Extensions and if you do have an issue with lilu plugins, you can use LiluFriend

Rehabman has a tool that will create one for you:

download as zip and run create_lilufriend.sh in terminal

4. Why should I use /Library/Extensions over Clover Injected kexts ?

Contrary to Hackintosh myth, having Clover inject all the 3rd party kexts does not result in a cleaner install, in fact the exact opposite is true.
  • Injected Kexts live outside of the protected MacOS memory space.
  • Injecting a large amount of kexts can result in an unstable system.
  • Many 3rd party kexts will not work correctly when injected by Clover.
  • Injected Kexts are not included in the kernel cache and thus are excluded form MacOS error checking.
  • Installing kexts in /Library/Extensions is the Apple endorsed and recommended location for all 3rd Party kexts.

Just my two cents.. If your system is working 100% and stable enough, then why bother moving them from Clover Kexts to L/E. For me it is always easier to go back to my system when I get kernel panic due to a newly injected kext just by deleting them in Clover Kexts. Updating kexts are also a piece of cake.

Just my two cents.. If your system is working 100% and stable enough, then why bother moving them from Clover Kexts to L/E. For me it is always easier to go back to my system when I get kernel panic due to a newly injected kext just by deleting them in Clover Kexts. Updating kexts are also a piece of cake.
at the end of the day, it is up to you

but there are kexts that will only work properly in /Library/Extensions

9. Summary

1. Copy FakeSMC and only critical kext's needed to run the MacOS Installer, Updater or Recovery to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
2. Install all 3rd party kexts (including FakeSMC) required to run MacOS in /Library/Extensions
3. Set Clover -> System Parameters -> Inject Kexts to "Detect"​
[/QUOTE]

If I do this. I get a kernel panic. I either have to leave fakesmc in kexts/10.x or library/extensions. Leaving fakesmc in both /kexts/other and /library/extensions does not work. So, the way my setup has been 100 percent stable for years now is.. fakesmc in clover/kexts/10.x and clover/kexts/other.

This is starting to sound like a battle between coders..

Last edited:
For example?
all my kexts are installed to /L/E, i have no issues, no need for me to try them in clover

post 2 may have some examples:

Yeah, that's my point as well.
Much easier to update them or fix issues if any.
There's a utility called "kext updater" from update.kextupdater.de which can scan "/clover/others".
I use it checking kext updates and it works really well, keeps my kext latest!

Attachments

• sdfsd.jpeg
    sdfsd.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
If/when time permits, please vote in the poll on where you install your kexts.

There's a utility called "kext updater" from update.kextupdater.de which can scan "/clover/others".
I use it checking kext updates and it works really well, keeps my kext latest!
This "kext updater" might seem a good idea, but it's very common that kexts have to stick to an older version to keep working correctly, even FakeSMC itself!
  • My Z68 desktop needs FakeSMC 6.17.1386 to work properly, be it in MacOS 10.9 or 10.11!
  • My Z68 laptop needs a specific version of VoodooPS2Controller, depending on the OS version!
Believe you me: I have tried any other possibility before finding that. So better update manually, and the latest is not necessarily the best, especially for older builds. ;)

excellent information, thanks!

@Api,

The Clover detect function only looks for FakeSMC (or Lilu + VirtualSMC) in the kernel Kernel Cache of /L/E, as those are the only kexts that are vital in order to run MacOS ...

Cheers
Jay
This is a really Great write up, easy to follow, and I followed it to a T, and everything seems to be working fine. Thank you very much.

I think I know that the kexts in /l/E are loading ok because in system report under ethernet card it says:Kext name: IntelMausiEthernet.kext. Location: /Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext.

Now I loaded all my kexts out of Other and they are all in /L/E, but I have NOT moved any of the kexts out of Other. Everything seems to be running fine.

Question is: Is it ok to leave the kexts in Other?

Jim S

Back