Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

Can I change
the kext name to include a version number (before installing)?
My experience says yes! I had to do it before finding the right version for VoodooPS2Controller.kext on my laptop (different version for different OS versions installed) — though I can't guarantee it will work for any kext in the world, but unless they are not critical kexts, there's no harm trying. ;-)

Hi, that's my EFI/Clover/kexts/Other directory:
Which kext I should remove and copy to /L/E ?

Hi, that's my EFI/Clover/kexts/Other directory:
View attachment 386698
Which kext I should remove and copy to /L/E ?
all kexts belong in /Library/Extensions

basic essential kexts belong in clover/kexts/other

AppleALC is not an essential kext to reach the installer so remove that along with your sensor kexts

you will find you have some kexts in both places which is fine

config.pllist -> InjectKexts->Detect

all kexts belong in /Library/Extensions

basic essential kexts belong in clover/kexts/other

AppleALC is not an essential kext to reach the installer so remove that along with your sensor kexts

you will find you have some kexts in both places which is fine

config.pllist -> InjectKexts->Detect
Thanks.

What about IntelMausiEthernet.kext and USBInjectAll.kext ? I think they aren't essential, can I transfer them in /L/E ?

Thanks.

What about IntelMausiEthernet.kext and USBInjectAll.kext ? I think they aren't essential, can I transfer them in /L/E ?
they all belong in /L/E!!!!!! every kext you have in clover/kexts/other, every kext you need to make your machine work....

also keep a copy of IntelMausiEthernet.kext and USBInjectAll.kext clover/kexts/other as they can be essential

What ways can someone determine the version number of the installed kext?
Just right click on a kext and choose "Get info"...
(Or command+I)

they all belong in /L/E!!!!!! every kext you have in clover/kexts/other, every kext you need to make your machine work....

also keep a copy of IntelMausiEthernet.kext and USBInjectAll.kext clover/kexts/other as they can be essential
So you have to keep up 2 the same kexts on both places up to date? Because they are may be essential?
The Ethernet kext is essential for eventually repair macOS in recovery mode over internet, that really works on a hack too. But your hack also works if you just have these kexts only in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other. And that makes your live a lot easier. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
The developers of lilu kexts already said they belong in the clover folder. Yes, most third party kexts that are made for hardware belong in /library/extensions. But, any kext that is a "hack" kext belongs in the clover folder. I feel that saying "All" kexts belong in /library/extension will cause more problems and more posts and less success... Listen to the developers...
Agree with you

Back