Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

@jaymonkey, thanks for your very useful guide and comments! Very understandable and complete.
It might be off topic but since you have a Z97 mobo like one of my hacks, do you recommend using Hackintool+USBinjectall.kext as the preferred method for detecting mobo specific working USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports? I have Asus Z97I-plus and I could not find on the web a ready-made solution for my mobo.
thanks in advance.

Oz

It might be off topic but since you have a Z97 mobo like one of my hacks, do you recommend using Hackintool+USBinjectall.kext as the preferred method for detecting mobo specific working USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports?

@oznem,

I've never used the Hackingtool method of defining USB post identities but @headkaze has put a lot of work into it and I think many users have used the method with great success.

In the past I've always used @RehabMans USB SSTD Hot-patch method largely because Hackingtool did not exist at the time and I'm quite familiar with working with ACPI code.

Both methods have their merits and essentially do the same thing, Hackingtool creates a kext that injects the USB identities whereas @RehabMan's method uses a SSDT to do the same thing.

Use which ever method you feel most comfortable with.

Note: A lot of Z87/Z97 Motherboards tended to use on-board USB2/3 hub chips to increase the port count rather then use all of the available ports within the Intel chipset, so you might end up with only having to define a few USB ports. For instance the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 motherboard used two 4 channel USB HUBS, so those 8 USB ports only required two USB identities set to Internal type .. Just something to be aware of.

Cheers
Jay

What’s the best way to prevent Kexts from loading at boot from L/E?

I recently updated to lastest Lilu and AppleALC and diagnosed that one or both broke the working build and needed to be removed from L/E to boot.

I ended up booting from an Installer USB and deleting them via Terminal and Installer and wonder if there’s another way

What’s the best way to prevent Kexts from loading at boot from L/E?

I recently updated to lastest Lilu and AppleALC and diagnosed that one or both broke the working build and needed to be removed from L/E to boot.

I ended up booting from an Installer USB and deleting them via Terminal and Installer and wonder if there’s another way

@Helios1,

You can use safe mode to boot into MacOS which should disable 3rd party kexts/drivers, if that does not work you can use single user mode which will boot you into terminal.

Reasons for Lilu or a plug-in causing issues :-
  • Lilu is not crossed linked with the plugin's (one compiled against the other)
  • Lilu or a Plug-in is not installed correctly
  • Lilu or a Plug-in is corrupted
Recommend following repair procedure :-
  • Delete Lilu and all Plug-in's form /L/E
  • Re-download latest release version of Lilu + all Plug-in's
  • Re-Install Lilu and all Plug-in's using the method outlined in the guide
Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey

How about an additional section on updating Kexts. With the latest system update, it was recommended we update 3 or 4 kexts. Is that simply deleting from the finder then installing new based on kextbeast and kextutility? Is there another "preferred" method?

One last question, if I have fakesmc in both my efi/clover/kexts/other and L/E folders - is that correct?

How about an additional section on updating Kexts. With the latest system update, it was recommended we update 3 or 4 kexts. Is that simply deleting from the finder then installing new based on kextbeast and kextutility? Is there another "preferred" method?

@osufella,

Thanks for the suggestion, updating kexts is indeed just a case of deleting the old ones from /L/E and then installing the news ones using the method outlined in the guide. I will add this to the guide.

One last question, if I have fakesmc in both my efi/clover/kexts/other and L/E folders - is that correct?

Its detailed in the guide but yes that is correct.

Cheers
Jay

Thank you very much for the clear and precise guide!
It makes it very clear how to setup the system.

For me, Lilu and applealc only seem to load when installed in /clover/kexts/10.x.x I've installed them /library/extensions many times now using kext beast and repairing permissions with kext utility. They just don't load. Only clover kexts folder seems to work.

Thank you for clarifying this issue. Finally I understand the behavior of "Inject = Detect" and will revise the Designare Z390 build guide over the weekend. Everything will go to /L/E with the exception of bare minimum extensions needed for OS updates and Recovery.

Back