Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H (rev. 1.2)
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
@Api,

The Clover detect function only looks for FakeSMC (or Lilu + VirtualSMC) in the kernel Kernel Cache of /L/E, as those are the only kexts that are vital in order to run MacOS ...

Cheers
Jay
This is a really Great write up, easy to follow, and I followed it to a T, and everything seems to be working fine. Thank you very much.

I think I know that the kexts in /l/E are loading ok because in system report under ethernet card it says:Kext name: IntelMausiEthernet.kext. Location: /Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext.

Now I loaded all my kexts out of Other and they are all in /L/E, but I have NOT moved any of the kexts out of Other. Everything seems to be running fine.

Question is: Is it ok to leave the kexts in Other?

Jim S

Motherboard
Lenovo G50-80
CPU
5200U
Graphics
HD 5500, R5 330M(disabled)
Mobile Phone
iOS
1. Make sure you have the boot argument kext-dev-mode=1
Good job! But I have to point out this boot argument has already been deprecated. Considering this guide is made for OS X 10.11 EI Captain and later, we don't need to use this argument any more. In fact, shouldn't use.
For Hackintosh, since the “rootless=0” & “kext-dev-mode=1” boot flags will be are removed in the 10.11 and it is not safe to use (put down all these protection and open the gate for everyone), setting the proper CSR BootArgs flags by bootloader should be a more secure solution instead of just kick all these guards away.
reference: https://linuslin.xyz/archives/sip-rootless-internal-in-el-capitan/

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-Clover
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD530 + GTX 950m 1920 x 1080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
This is a really Great write up, easy to follow, and I followed it to a T, and everything seems to be working fine. Thank you very much.

I think I know that the kexts in /l/E are loading ok because in system report under ethernet card it says:Kext name: IntelMausiEthernet.kext. Location: /Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext.

Now I loaded all my kexts out of Other and they are all in /L/E, but I have NOT moved any of the kexts out of Other. Everything seems to be running fine.

Question is: Is it ok to leave the kexts in Other?

Jim S
yes, keep your essential kexts in clover/kexts/other

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Good job! But I have to point out this boot argument has already been deprecated. Considering this guide is made for OS X 10.11 EI Captain and later, we don't need to use this argument any more.

@a361445613,

Thanks for brining it to my attention, I'll amend the appropriate section on the next guide update.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
HP Folio 9480m
CPU
i5-4310U
Graphics
Intel HD 4400
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Motherboard
Asus Rog Maximus IX Formula
CPU
i7-7700K - 5Ghz
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
If you run “kextstat” in the Terminal it’ll list all loaded kext, is that what you are after?
The command "kextstat" will list all of them injected or not so this isn't what I'm after.
I simply want to know if there is way to see if those kext are injected by clover or loaded by MacOS once the system is up and running.
In other words check if my setup is woking like it should.

I guess I just have to accept that all is working fine and that they are loaded once I carefully followed every step in this guide.