Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-Clover
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD530 + GTX 950m 1920 x 1080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Well this was really clear until I read the conflicting comments Guess i'll wait for a consensus on lilu etc
you can install all kexts to /Library/Extensions and if you do have an issue with lilu plugins, you can use LiluFriend

Rehabman has a tool that will create one for you:

download as zip and run create_lilufriend.sh in terminal

Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z370-P
CPU
i5-8600K OC @ 5.3 GHz
Graphics
UHD 630 + R9 380x
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
4. Why should I use /Library/Extensions over Clover Injected kexts ?

Contrary to Hackintosh myth, having Clover inject all the 3rd party kexts does not result in a cleaner install, in fact the exact opposite is true.
  • Injected Kexts live outside of the protected MacOS memory space.
  • Injecting a large amount of kexts can result in an unstable system.
  • Many 3rd party kexts will not work correctly when injected by Clover.
  • Injected Kexts are not included in the kernel cache and thus are excluded form MacOS error checking.
  • Installing kexts in /Library/Extensions is the Apple endorsed and recommended location for all 3rd Party kexts.
Just my two cents.. If your system is working 100% and stable enough, then why bother moving them from Clover Kexts to L/E. For me it is always easier to go back to my system when I get kernel panic due to a newly injected kext just by deleting them in Clover Kexts. Updating kexts are also a piece of cake.

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-Clover
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Just my two cents.. If your system is working 100% and stable enough, then why bother moving them from Clover Kexts to L/E. For me it is always easier to go back to my system when I get kernel panic due to a newly injected kext just by deleting them in Clover Kexts. Updating kexts are also a piece of cake.
at the end of the day, it is up to you

but there are kexts that will only work properly in /Library/Extensions

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
9. Summary

1. Copy FakeSMC and only critical kext's needed to run the MacOS Installer, Updater or Recovery to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
2. Install all 3rd party kexts (including FakeSMC) required to run MacOS in /Library/Extensions
3. Set Clover -> System Parameters -> Inject Kexts to "Detect"​
[/QUOTE]

If I do this. I get a kernel panic. I either have to leave fakesmc in kexts/10.x or library/extensions. Leaving fakesmc in both /kexts/other and /library/extensions does not work. So, the way my setup has been 100 percent stable for years now is.. fakesmc in clover/kexts/10.x and clover/kexts/other.

This is starting to sound like a battle between coders..

Last edited:

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-Clover
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
For example?
all my kexts are installed to /L/E, i have no issues, no need for me to try them in clover

post 2 may have some examples:

Motherboard
ASUS H170 Pro Gaming
CPU
i5-7600
Graphics
GTX 750 TI
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
Classic, LC
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Yeah, that's my point as well.
Much easier to update them or fix issues if any.
There's a utility called "kext updater" from update.kextupdater.de which can scan "/clover/others".
I use it checking kext updates and it works really well, keeps my kext latest!

Attachments

Last edited:

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
If/when time permits, please vote in the poll on where you install your kexts.

Motherboard
GA Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i3 2100
Graphics
EVGA GF 210 - 512Mb
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
There's a utility called "kext updater" from update.kextupdater.de which can scan "/clover/others".
I use it checking kext updates and it works really well, keeps my kext latest!
This "kext updater" might seem a good idea, but it's very common that kexts have to stick to an older version to keep working correctly, even FakeSMC itself!
  • My Z68 desktop needs FakeSMC 6.17.1386 to work properly, be it in MacOS 10.9 or 10.11!
  • My Z68 laptop needs a specific version of VoodooPS2Controller, depending on the OS version!
Believe you me: I have tried any other possibility before finding that. So better update manually, and the latest is not necessarily the best, especially for older builds. ;)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
excellent information, thanks!