Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

Motherboard
I didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Hello!

I'm running Catalina on a MacBook 17 with a USB 3.0 card installed. I got things to work with this driver, but it doesn't load automatically:

After installing and disabling Gatekeeper, you have to run:
Code:
kextload /Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext
Does anyone know why I have to load it manually? If I insert the card before loading it, I have to kextunload com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCIPCI first.

I'd also like to know if anyone knows the mechanics behind writing a Gatekeeper exception so I don't have to disable the whole thing.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i3 2100
Graphics
EVGA GT 210 - 512Mb
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
I got things to work with this driver, but it doesn't load automatically
Hi! Just out of curiosity: did you intentionally picked up version 1.2.7 instead of the 1.2.11?
I see in that other thread that somebody got better results with different versions...

Motherboard
I didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
I don't understand your question; it's very vague. Are you saying the older version works better?

Motherboard
GA Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i3 2100
Graphics
EVGA GT 210 - 512Mb
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
The link you gave at Soundforge is for version 1.2.7 while the last Multibeast/Rehabman version is 1.2.11 but on the page I mentioned — if you read it :mrgreen: — a few people say indeed that an older version works better (in their case 1.2.9).
So apparently, you haven't tried other versions than 1.2.7.
I'm using v1.2.11 on El Capitan, it's also working under High Sierra if the peripheral was connected at boot, but there I'm using instead CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext and CalDigitFastIO.kext — only downside : they are a little slow at wake up.
Note that I don't use USB3 frequently, and I have no idea what would work better for your particular case, just try. I'm just giving my two cents, if it can help you.

Edit: the up-to-date way is probably this one, for more recent platforms/OS

Motherboard
I didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
The link I provided has version 1.2.11

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2P-B3 F10
CPU
i3
Graphics
GTX 1050
Mac
iMac
I'm running OS X.15.2, and it won't let me do anything other than read /System/Library/Extensions. Is there an update to these methods? I have an old kext "AlesisFirewire.kext" that has to be installed in the System/Library/Extensions folder. I tried all of the methods above and can't get it to work. PS, I'm doing this on an actual iMac this time.

Motherboard
I didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
1) Don't touch /System 2) It has to be a 64bit driver 3) use the Hackintool.app

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2P-B3 F10
CPU
i3
Graphics
GTX 1050
Mac
iMac
I tried the Hackintool app, and got these errors:

touch /Library/Extensions
kextcache -i /
KernelCache ID: ................................
Untrusted kexts are not allowed
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) denied: /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/6A1FD412-47CF-423E-ACBA-86A66DAF4290.kext
Bundle (/Library/Extensions/AlesisFirewire.kext) failed to validate, deleting: /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/6A1FD412-47CF-423E-ACBA-86A66DAF4290.kext
Unable to stage kext (/Library/Extensions/AlesisFirewire.kext) to secure location.
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) denied: /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/074C9FB4-0942-42AD-A3BE-A6F04298D8A6.kext
Bundle (/Library/Extensions/AlesisFirewire.kext) failed to validate, deleting: /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/074C9FB4-0942-42AD-A3BE-A6F04298D8A6.kext
Unable to stage kext (/Library/Extensions/AlesisFirewire.kext) to secure location.
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) denied: /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/B06EDA31-4D4B-41B3-B4FF-6171CDEAFD49.kext
Bundle (/Library/Extensions/AlesisFirewire.kext) failed to validate, deleting: /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/B06EDA31-4D4B-41B3-B4FF-6171CDEAFD49.kext
Kext rejected due to invalid signature: <OSKext 0x7fe750b7d730 [0x7fff9382c090]> { URL = "file:///Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext/", ID = "com.apple.macos.driver.AppleUSBEthernetHost" }

Beyond the errors I get, it appears to automatically install it at/Library/Extensions/ instead of System/Library/Extensions/

Motherboard
I didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
You didn't follow the instructions. Go to the OP on this thread and search for "Catalina"

Motherboard
Lenovo Yoga 920
CPU
i7-8550U/16GB/EVO+
Graphics
UHD620@4K
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
10. Summary

1. Copy FakeSMC and only critical kext's needed to run the MacOS Installer, Updater or Recovery to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
2. Install all 3rd party kexts (including FakeSMC) required to run MacOS in /Library/Extensions
3. Set Clover -> System Parameters -> Inject Kexts to "Detect"​
Thank you for this wonderful guide and great explanations!

I have three questions:
  1. You're stating that if Clover detects FakeSMC in /L/E it will not load anything from /Other. Prerequisite is the "Detect" flag. Does this definitely apply to VirtualSMC as well?
  2. If I copy the kexts with the finder to /L/E and then run the Hackingtool to repair the permissions and rebuild the cache is that sufficient? Or do I have to "Install" them with the Hackingtool. Does Hackingtool maybe set any other parameters in the system?
  3. How can I verify which kexts were loaded from L/E and which ones from /Other?
I personally use VirtualSMC for ages now and was not able to pin down any issues to it. Also LiluFriend - never used it, didn't even know it exists and what for for a very long time.

Thanks in advance!