Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@jaymonkey Thank you for your response. I also want to shift from FakeSMC currently I used in my system, to using VirtualSMC. Is it already stable enough to be used? Do I still need Lilufriend as some posts suggested so?

@soeryobadja,

I've stuck with FakeSMC to-date as it works fine on all my Hacks and have never had an issue with it .... having said that I do keep an eye on VirtualSMC's development and recently I've noticed it being used in more and more builds so I think its fair to say that its stability and compatibility is improving with every new release.

I would say that it is probably advisable to use LiluFriend as a belt and braces approach since SMC emulation needs to be loaded very early in the MacOS boot phase and without it there is no way to guarantee the kext load order from /L/E.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Asus Z390-A Prime
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
UHD 630 / RX 560
Mobile Phone
Android
@soeryobadja,

I've stuck with FakeSMC to-date as it works fine on all my Hacks and have never had an issue with it .... having said that I do keep an eye on VirtualSMC's development and recently I've noticed it being used in more and more builds so I think its fair to say that its stability and compatibility is improving with every new release.

I would say that it is probably advisable to use LiluFriend as a belt and braces approach since SMC emulation needs to be loaded very early in the MacOS boot phase and without it there is no way to guarantee the kext load order from /L/E.

Cheers
Jay
@jaymonkey
As usual, a very very clear explanation from you.
Thank you very much for your advise. I will stick with FakeSMC for my current machine, while thinking to use VirtualSMC on my newest build to see how it works.

Thanks again.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
As usual, a very very clear explanation from you.
Thank you very much for your advise. I will stick with FakeSMC for my current machine, while thinking to use VirtualSMC on my newest build to see how it works.

@soeryobadja,

Like you I have considered trying VirtualSMC several times in the past, but every time I backed out of it.
FakeSMC has had many years of development, is super stable and is guaranteed to work on all systems so I see no reason to change things just for the sake of it.

VirtualSMC does has some benefits over FakeSMC on laptops as it can enable battery management without having to patch the DSDT and as it matures more benefits will be added.

Without doubt VirtualSMC is the future of SMC emulation on hackintosh systems once Clover is depreciated in favour of the new OpenCore boot loader where it will be the preferred SMC emulation solution.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
asrock z97 extreme6
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
GT740
Hi, I have the same system configuration with you, could you share your efi file to me and I totally a newer here?
ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 | i7-4790K | Vega 64 Liquid Cooled + HD 4600 IGPU | 16GB RAM