Contribute
Register

[Guide] Installation of USB Wireless Antenna (Chipset RT2870/RT3070) in Mac OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached are RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext 5.0.1.28 and wifi utility, works perfect on macOS high Sierra 10.13.3.

Attachments

• Ralink2870Kext5_DWA140.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 637
Attached are RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext 5.0.1.28 and wifi utility, works perfect on macOS high Sierra 10.13.3.
I tried this without any success and now my computer is acting very glitchy and it takes several clicks of the mouse for it to actually respond. Ugh

Hi,
My hack is working just perfect, using a CanaKit USB WiFi dongle borrowed from a Raspberry Pi kit. Not fancy, but works Ok to post this message :) and cut the cord of the laptop while I get a compatible internal module for my Inspiron 15 3567.

MacOS 10.13.3, with all latest patches, Clover 4411.
Dongle with VID 0x148f and PID 0x5370 (RT5370)

Using Driver package "ALFA USB Wireless Installer 20171205.dmg" downloaded from ALFA.

http://alfanetworkinc.blogspot.com/2017/10/alfa-wifi-usb-support-macos-10.html

http://download.alfa.com.tw/index.php/s/MJb1dKzYW4wVawi/download

Driver Version: 5.01.28, Wireless Utility Version: 5.0.0.31

The package comes with two Utilities, ALFA and Mediatek, but the MT one hangs, and the ALFA branded tool works flawlessly.

The package also comes with specific kexts for Lion, ML, Leopard, SL, Mavericks, Yosemite, ElCapitan, Sierra and HS.

Procedure executed:

- Run Installer package. Keep Installer open at Restart request screen (last one).
- Run Pacifist, extract API, Driver, Other and UI folders.
- Copy API/RaWLAPI.framework to /Library/Frameworks.
- Using your favorite Kext installer, deploy Driver/High Sierra/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext to S/L/E, fix permissions, clean cache.
- UI/'ALFA Wireless Utility' gets copied by Installer to /Applications, but if not, copy it manually.
- Click 'Restart' button.

After reboot, extension should be loaded. Need to run Utility to create Wireless profile and establish connection for the first time.

My first attempts were to use the BearExtender-5.4, BearExtender-M24 and BearExtender1200Sierra.dmg packages, but somehow they didn't work for me. So after googling, found the latest ALFA driver mentioned above. Surprisingly, I could not find HS-compatible kexts in https://www.mediatek.com.

[Update]

Following instructions on http://www.acousticwebdesign.net/programming/creating-start-up-items-in-mac-os-x/
simply adding the ALFA Wireless Utility to the list of login items in System Preferences -> Users and Groups did the trick of firing the tool at startup.

Hope this helps others.

Thanks everyone in this thread, for the wonderful insights you've put here, especially Albatroz-90 for OP, and Mikorist for latest versions and ideas.

Last edited:
I have 34Mbps download with Driver Version: 5.01.28, Wireless Utility Version: 5.0.0.31
The distance is about 8 meters through two brick walls
(AP is MikroTik 2011UiAS-2HnD - Client Tenda W311U+ with 3.5 dBi Antenna)
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 11.50.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 11.04.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 11.07.43 PM.png

before it was about 20 maximum . . .
insane:headbang:

Last edited:
Hi,

with High Sierra 10.13.1, I did follow the procedure and i can open Wireless Utility, the light of my usb adapter (Devolo wifi stick ac) is ON and i see it on the "about" section.

But i have nothing shown in "site survey".

I tried to create Wireless profile and establish connection but it doesn't work, it's still disconnected...

Could you tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance,
Phil

Hi,

with High Sierra 10.13.1, I did follow the procedure and i can open Wireless Utility, the light of my usb adapter (Devolo wifi stick ac) is ON and i see it on the "about" section.

But i have nothing shown in "site survey".

I tried to create Wireless profile and establish connection but it doesn't work, it's still disconnected...

Could you tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance,
Phil

Actually it works only on wifi network 5Ghz, my USB adapter has only 5Ghz frequency...

Only problem i still have is i need to fill the wifi key each time i want to reconnect my Macbook Pro.

i tried below steps and it work for the mac os high Sierra 10.13.4 also ..
thanks for sharing steps

Installation (software)
1) Remove workaround first - RESTART
2) Remove old files - RESTART
3) Install 5.4 (BearExtender) - DONT RESTART YET!
4) Connect the USB Wireless Antenna

Installation (driver)
5) Run EasyKext Utility
6) Drag RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext to it - RESTART

Hi,

Thank's for all contributors in this post.
I m using TP Link T1U Archer (chipset MT7610u) with this driver https://www.tp-link.com/en/download/Archer-T1U.html#Driver (Ver 2.0)
Signal and Speed are quite good.
One issue, i can see only some channel 5GHZ (36 to 48).
Anyone knows how to fix this ?

Thank's

speed.jpeg

TpLink.png

Last edited:
@bergoulle, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back