Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you seeing this option at all in SysPrefs/General ?
While we are here, I am also having some issues with devices not being detected on first boot? Like I will boot from Windows to macOS and my USB camera won't work. If I reboot, then it will start working. I have to do this process every time I shut down the computer. Have you seen this issue before?

Not sure what you mean by this.
When I first boot up from a cold start (i.e. computer has been shut down for more than a few minutes, or I shutdown from windows and startup to macOS.), some USB devices are not detected, my camera being an example. To test this, i will start facetime and it will either show the camera or say no camera available. If I do a restart (not shutdown, startup) then it fixes the issue. It is just an annoying process.

Hi,

First of all, I'd like to thank deeply nicksoph for this guide, and trs96 for the previous one, and all the help they are giving on this thread. This was my first ever time doing hackintosh, and I must say it all went great with thons of informations and really clear instructions.

I mean it. Thank you !

Then I still have some problems, but I think they cannot be solved as my 7010 USFF is slightly older than yours, running with a i3 2120. As a result, from what I understood, the acceleration is impossible, wich explains why

Problem 1 : I cannot get sleep to work. Do you think there's a way ? I did check this

System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
standby 0
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
powernap 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
standbydelayhigh 86400
sleep 10
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 0
ttyskeepawake 0
displaysleep 10
Standby Battery Threshold 50
standbydelaylow 86400

and I have indeed womp 1, but don't know how to change it, and don't know if it would do anything.

Second issue, with audio. With Lilu & AppleALC, I managed to get audio to "work", but only with headphone. If I don't plug anything, I can control the sound (macOS displays its sound logo with the volume adjuster, and not anymore the forbidden sign), but no sound comes out of the integrated audio.

Third one, maybe the worst : i have some shattering, and little glitches. 2 main exemples : when i point my mouse to a thing it can click, the hover makes a black (or flashing white) rectangle replace the mouse. If I resize a window or minimize it, I have a big triangle appearing and disappearing from top right corner to bottom left corner. Mozilla or Safari are the 2 main (if not only) programs displaying these issues.

I did not try to make iMessages work (step 7) as I don't want to use it. I did not replace the battery (step 0) because my order is still to come, but indeed, had to reconfig the bios every time I unplugged the hackintosh to move it. So I think you nailed the problem.

I can attach EFI files, but I'm afraid it would be useless as you may tell me that it's all about my i3 2120 outdated for Mojave. What a shame :'(

EDIT : Oh, and as this is a USFF, I can't put a Wifi Card in here. What wifi dongle would you recomand ?

Last edited:
@N8261D attach Problem Reporting files, i will take a look at your files and i should be able to give you a fix.
@Sniki Sorry I forgot about this... Never got a notification of a reply. Where can I find the problem reporting files at?

@kaaanonn, hi, cant offer you much in the way of help for most of your issues as Im fairly sure that the processor you have will add a level of complexity which I dont understand. My advice is to buy a 2nd hand processor (a 3 series i3 or i5 with HD4000 graphcs can be bought for between £15 and £35 on ebay, and although i7's jump quite a lot in price, many find them worthwhile) and will allow you follow this guide. As for wifi I use one of the cheap broadcom mini-pci devices and it works just fine and the card and ariels can be purchased for about £10. TRS96's hardware guide on the High Sierra Dell7010 thread is a great place to start.

@kaaanonn, hi, cant offer you much in the way of help for most of your issues as Im fairly sure that the processor you have will add a level of complexity which I dont understand. My advice is to buy a 2nd hand processor (a 3 series i3 or i5 with HD4000 graphcs can be bought for between £15 and £35 on ebay, and although i7's jump quite a lot in price, many find them worthwhile) and will allow you follow this guide. As for wifi I use one of the cheap broadcom mini-pci devices and it works just fine and the card and ariels can be purchased for about £10. TRS96's hardware guide on the High Sierra Dell7010 thread is a great place to start.
Would a third generation i3/5/7 work on my (i assume) second generation motherboard ? I assumed it wouldn't, as I used to think intel does not provide cross-support between motherboards and CPUs if they're not from the same generation...

@kaaanonn - I'm fairly sure but not absolutely certain you will find that both use the 1155 socket and that your motherboard may be an older version but still capable of being used with the 3 series chips.

Would a third generation i3/5/7 work on my (i assume) second generation motherboard ? I assumed it wouldn't, as I used to think intel does not provide cross-support between motherboards and CPUs if they're not from the same generation...
If you've got a Dell 7010 USFF it came with the Q77 chipset motherboard (designed for 3rd gen chips). Those can also support 2nd gen Sandy bridge chips. I don't know if yours came with a 2120 from the factory or someone else changed to that. What you should do is look in your BIOS to determine if you have a Dell 7010/Q77 chipset or the older Q67 chipset.

If you really do have a 7010 and not a 790 which the Sandy Bridge version is called, then yes you should get a 3rd gen like the i5-3475S or i3-3225 to replace the 2120 chip. HD4000 will be a huge improvement over the HD2000 you have now. Will be a night and day difference.

The 790 does look exactly the same as the 7010 USFF. The one difference is the 790 only has one DP output on the back panel. The graphics for the SB chips could not support dual monitors the way that HD 4000 can.

Last edited:
@trs96 - Hi, Im just about to rebuild a SFF Dell 7010 with GT710 and an i3470 (or if directed, no GT710 and a 3475s) and thinking about whether there is anything in the build process that might be improved or need looking into. If you do have anything that you would like looking into or any ideas about what might be worth changing?, Ill be playing over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back