Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm maybe a bit too optimistic on my use of words. I'm on a 1680x1050 monitor. And as I said in my first post, I'm experiencing some minor graphic glitches, and some random lattencies on particular uses.
You've only got 6 MB of video ram so yes, the graphics performance is not adequate even for everyday use. You'll be getting a major upgrade in graphics performance once you get the i3-3225 with HD4000 installed in your 7010.

You have a mini pci slot (on motherboard near front centre) which will take a wifi card - I use a broadcom wifi only card in one of my usff 7010's that works perfectly. (details to follow)
I'm quite interested by this :). Second question, do you think it's worth it to buy a i3 3225, that you own, for 35 bucks including shipping ? Or should I wait to find a heavier processor (i5 or i7) ? I feel like the second hand market is quite high for the Ivy Bridge HD4000 processors.

@kaaanonn - I use ebay uk and find that there is a great deal of difference between prices - i have bought several chips and my purchase history shows - Intel i5-3475s for £32, £37 and £25, i3 3245 for £25 and £27.
Waiting for an auction is likely to get a better price than 'buy it now' but there are fewer chips with the HD4000 than with HD2500, so you might find yourself waiting a while for a bargain. I was really happy with all these purchases and still consider that i3 bought for £27 to be a good bargain.
ebay uk currently has several 2nd hand i3 chips, ranging £25 - £100 so it really depends on budget and waiting times. My advice is, if you are no rush, just hold on for an i5 where there are occasional bargains or if you are really lucky, an i7 but my experience is that the i7's prices are much higher. I think the lowest spec i3 with HD4000 is the 3225, and that runs beautifully. If you want to do video editing on your usff then it can probably do that a lot better (and I suspect pretty well too) with an i7.

Last edited:
@kaaanonn - I use ebay uk and find that there is a great deal of difference between prices - i have bought several chips and my purchase history shows - Intel i5-3475s for £32, £37 and £25, i3 3245 for £25 and £27.
Waiting for an auction is likely to get a better price than 'buy it now' but there are fewer chips with the HD4000 than with HD2500, so you might find yourself waiting a while for a bargain. I was really happy with all these purchases and still consider that i3 bought for £27 to be a good bargain.
ebay uk currently has several 2nd hand i3 chips, ranging £25 - £100 so it really depends on budget and waiting times. My advice is, if you are no rush, just hold on for an i5 where there are occasional bargains or if you are really lucky, an i7 but my experience is that the i7's prices are much higher. I think the lowest spec i3 with HD4000 is the 3225, and that runs beautifully. If you want to do video editing on your usff then it can probably do that a lot better (and I suspect pretty well too) with an i7.
Thanks very much for these advice. I will look for these processors !

Oh, and would you tell me more about this tiny wifi card that can suit my USFF for cheap ? I'm really interested !

Last edited:
Here's the Atheros kext for anyone that needs it. If you don't have HS installed this should save you some time.
I use the AR9280 in my USFF 7010. It gets the job done for general use. Not fast enough for downloading very large files or any heavy use.

Attachments

• AirPortAtheros40.kext.zip
    649.8 KB · Views: 71
Don't forget that the i7-3770S also has HD4000 and works just like the non-S version. It's just clocked lower. 3.1 GHz
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=i7-3770&_sacat=0&Processor%20Model=Intel%20Core%20i7%2D3770S&_dcat=164&_sop=15
Try bidding on one on the Ebay nearest you.

Unfortunatly, it's at least 100 bucks, too much for me. I went for the i3 3225 with HD4000 for 33€.

But I will be watching, eBay hoping to find a good deal on another 7010 for my parents. For this one, I have plenty of time to get the best deals, and maybe will go for an i7. I now know what processors to look for : those not overclocked with HD400.

see post #131 - link below - the fix mentioned works and in the same thread (post #166) I give a recommendation for the other bits you need (aerials and cables), but any wifi aerials with cables of at least 30cm will do.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-optiplex-7010-9010-desktop-pc.251736/page-14

Thanks for this ! I'm a real beginer as well on the hardware part, so tell me if I understood things correctly. To get Wifi, I need :
- 1 Mini PCI-E Wireless WiFi Card 802.11a/b/g/n AR9280 AR5BHB92 ST
- 2 Antenas with cables

Then the hardware installation should go easily as I just have to plug the wifi card on the back of the computer, and then cables and antenas on it, through the aeration square holes il the back of the computer.

Again, thanks for these beginer friendly pieces of advice.

To get Wifi, I need :
- 1 Mini PCI-E Wireless WiFi Card 802.11a/b/g/n AR9280 AR5BHB92 ST
- 2 Antenas with cables
Correct. The mounting of the aerials can involve finding a suitable spot on the case to drill holes to mount the aerials but the ones I mentioned in post #166 in the high sierra thread are unusual in that the piece that needs mounting comes in 2 parts and that allows for mounting without the need to drill any holes or otherwise make any mounting.

I have several times given advice on where kexts should go and as part of that advice have said that FakeSMC.kext should ONLY go in /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other - Below is a note from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-el-capitan-sierra-high-sierra-mojave.268964/ where @jaymonkey states that fakeSMC goes in 2 locations; Sorry for the bad advice I gave earlier.

8. Summary

1. Copy FakeSMC and only critical kext's needed to run the MacOS Installer, Updater or Recovery to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

2. Install all 3rd party kexts (including FakeSMC) required to run MacOS in /Library/Extensions

3. Set Clover -> System Parameters -> Inject Kexts to "Detect"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back