Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, in the guide you talk a lot about Ivy Bridge chips, but my 7010 has a sandy bridge chip (i5 2500s), would it work fine considering I have an RX 580 ?

Yes an i5 2500 will work. The 580 will block your sata ports so special cables are needed.

Reactions: 782
Hi, I'm using 7010 usff model with i7-3770 on Mojave 10.14.6
I'm going to buy a 4k monitor, because it's usff model so i can't upgrade to another gpu.
I did some research and some said that hd4000 do not support 4k monitor, some said it can work but only at 4k@30.

Does anyone use hd4000 with 4k monitor? will it work?

Many thanks! :D

some said it can work but only at 4k@30.
A quick Google search provides the answer.

Screen Shot 8.jpg

@trs96 Everything was going just fine (a lot easier that my 1st build) until I did the Migration Assistant. Then it locked up, no mouse/keyboard. Have you seen this before? Trying to migrate my apps/data from the os/data drive from my other build (which I don't have anymore because my son needed a computer).

@trs96 Everything was going just fine (a lot easier that my 1st build) until I did the Migration Assistant. Then it locked up, no mouse/keyboard. Have you seen this before? Trying to migrate my apps/data from the os/data drive from my other build (which I don't have anymore because my son needed a computer).
Sorry to hear that. I avoid using Migration Assistant for this very reason. Did you uncheck the "other" box before you started ? Some people claim it makes the process go more seamlessly. This seems to happen to people migrating from one Apple Mac to another too. Here's some possible things you could try:

@trs96 Thanks for the quick reply.

Looks like I found a solution to my issue.
1. created a copy of my original build's HD
2. connected the HD copy via USB to the new 9010 build
3. used CCG to mount the EFI on the copy
4. deleted the EFI folder in the copy's EFI partition
5. copied the EFI folder from the 9010 build to the EFI partition on the copy HD (typically you would need to mount both EFI partitions but I already backed up the EFI folder from the 9010 build)
6. deleted all the files in the L/E folder on the copy
7. then from the 9010 build, copied the files in it's L/E folder over to the L/E folder on the copy
8. shut down the 9010 build
9. swapped out drives and booted back up
10. after logging in :), ran the KextUtility and rebooted
11. everything appears to be working, just had to log into iCloud again.

Hope this makes sense, and helps others.

@trs96, did I miss anything? As in is there any other cleanup I need to perform?

7010/9010 MT only - Front Panel I/O + Power Switch Header Adapters

These two adapters make it easy to transfer your Optiplex to a new 3rd party (non-Dell) case and get the front I/O and power switch working with no error messages at boot up. Fits right over the existing pins so you don't have to reverse engineer Dell's proprietary wiring schemes. They only install one way so make sure to watch the video for directions.

1599051950910.png

Hi Sir

I have same Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF, just curious. How do you put the antenna into the system? I search the Dell Optiplex 7110 antenna kit on ebay which the price is outrageous! I have a pair of antenna kit from other desktop and laptop. I have AR9280 mini pcie card already and system installed high sierra. Everything is running fine now besides the Wi-Fi card.
If you can show how you put the antenna cable, it will help me a lots.

Thank you so much

7010/9010 MT only - Front Panel I/O + Power Switch Header Adapters

These two adapters make it easy to transfer your Optiplex to a new 3rd party (non-Dell) case and get the front I/O and power switch working with no error messages at boot up. Fits right over the existing pins so you don't have to reverse engineer Dell's proprietary wiring schemes. They only install one way so make sure to watch the video for directions.

View attachment 486656
Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back