Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

This is my first attempt at a hack. I followed this guide for the most part and here's the run down:

- I was given a Dell Optiplex 7010 w/ i7 3770 HD 4000 but no hard drive
- picked up Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA drive
- Skipped the A29 bios upgrade because I didn't have windows/couldn't get it to work
- Continued the hack thinking I had the HD 4000 graphics card
- Got High Sierra installed but dual monitor ability wasn't working. As in only one monitor recognized by OS but desktop was mirrored on both displays
- Realized I have a PCIe video card, Amd Radeon HD6450 1GB PCIe, tried different kexts but didn't help
- Figured the dual monitor wasn't working because of the lack of A29 BIOS update
- Decided to try and add a partition and use boot camp to run windows and complete the A29 update
- It failed at some point and when I went to reboot to High Sierra Clover boot manager no longer recognizes any hard drive
- Tried reformatting on my MacBook Pro High Sierra using external USB doc
- MacBook can recognize the drive, I've erased in multiple ways but there is still ~1GB purgable showing in drive info
- Even after erasing the Dell still won't recognize the drive

Can anyone help with an idea of what I can do to get this fixed?
RealDirt:
Maybe instead of just reformatting the drive, try deleting and re-creating the partition. Go with HFS+, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) even if it's an SSD. Let the macOS installer convert it to APFS. It seems happier doing so itself.
- Scott

I am running Mojave on my 7010 based on the exact install sequence provided by trs. Has been working great, and I performed regular Mojave updates successfully.

Recently my son accidentally clicked upgrade to Catalina in the system preferences page, and the machine now boots to a blank screen.

i have an RX570. Is it safe to upgrade Weg, Lilu ? or is that version of clover (4701?) in the guide going to work with Catalina? I can clone my backup over it, but wondering if I should try to just let it work.

i have an RX570. Is it safe to upgrade Weg, Lilu ? or is that version of clover (4701?) in the guide going to work with Catalina? I can clone my backup over it, but wondering if I should try to just let it work.
A lot has changed with Catalina you can look at my Catalina guide for the 7010 to see the differences. There is a new driversUEFI folder for Catalina that replaces drivers64UEFI so you need that in your EFI partition now. That is why you're getting a black screen. Also kexts don't work in /L/E the same way they did in Mojave so they may not load properly. Clover must be a 510x version to work with Catalina too. The one you've got is too old.

Last edited:
A lot has changed with Catalina you can look at my Catalina guide for the 7010 to see the differences. There is a new driversUEFI folder for Catalina that replaces drivers64UEFI so you need that in your EFI partition now. That is why you're getting a black screen. Also kexts don't work in /L/E the same way they did in Mojave so they may not load properly. Clover must be a 5xxx version to work with Catalina too. The one you've got is too old.

Thank you @trs96 for the quick reply and information that offered help. I appreciate it!

Based on what you said, I decided it was too hard to repair/patch (and I don’t have time at the moment), so I restored from a backup that wasn’t too old (thank goodness for full clone backups to spare mechanical drives!). So I’m back in business. I can always try Catalina on this box later under my terms — will keep a bookmark on that mini guide.

Friendly reminder to everyone - backup your working install frequently.

RealDirt:
Maybe instead of just reformatting the drive, try deleting and re-creating the partition. Go with HFS+, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) even if it's an SSD. Let the macOS installer convert it to APFS. It seems happier doing so itself.
- Scott

Thanks @Scottie this helped me get the drive to be recognizable again.

I managed to get through the rest of the https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...plex-7010-9010-desktop-pc-revision-ii.251736/ tutorial.

High Sierra is now installed. However, I was still unable to get dual monitors to work. I searched for my graphics card Amd Radeon HD6450 1GB PCIe and found: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ati-sapphire-hd6450-1gb-ddr3-pci-e.76670/

I followed that tutorial and installed:
Driver 10.6.8 Patched ATI6000Controller.kext (Patched Framebuffer: Bulrushes, Cattail, Duckweed, Elodea, Fanwort, Gibba, Hydrilla, Ipomoea, Lotus, Muskgrass and Phitecia)

Driver 10.6.8 Vanilla ATI6000Controller.kext

DSDT Auto-Patcher Tool with patchs to create PEGP device in PCI0 device of your DSDT and enable HDMI audio [grisno].

Still no dual capability and the OS does not have the HD6450 listed in the about this computer. See attached pic.

It is also intermittently shifting the screen in the middle. See other attached pic.

I would love to actually get this to work. Has anyone had success with this graphics card and high sierra?

Attachments

• split screen.jpg
    split screen.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 63
  • generic graphics.jpg
    generic graphics.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 80
Hello,
I have used your guide with a Dell Precision T1650 and perfect, everything works.

CPU Xeon 1240 V2
SSD Samsung EVO 850 1TB
12GB RAM 1600 DDR3
Asus Strix RX 560 4G
PCI-E Fenvi T919
Mojave 10.4.6
SMBIOS IMac Pro for video decoding end encode h.265 and h.264.

Very nice.

Hello,

I have been trying to install the latest security update (SecUpd2020-003Mojave.dmg) but I keep getting the following error...

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 6.35.38 PM.jpg

I also tried via the normal path through System Preferences: Software Update but I get the follow error:
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 6.38.35 PM.jpg

Prior to trying the updates above I had to reload Mojave as iTunes would not load :beachball: and System Preferences: Software Update showed no update and would not respond when clicked on. :beachball:

Well... now I can no longer login to iCloud through System Preferences: iCloud ~ it appears that something happened to my Hackintosh. I CAN login into iCloud through any browser on the Hackintosh... I even fired up my 17" Macbook Pro and no issues to login to iCloud/iTunes (I did go through the hassle in changing to a new password to no avail). I even reset the cable modem and router.

I then logged out and logged in as a diffrent user and get the same thing. Has me stumped.
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.50.10 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.55.11 AM.jpg

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back