Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Is it safe (as in won't brick the system) to regularly update whenever the system prompts for updates?
Two things you need to do. Check the forum thread for that update to see how it's going. Make a bootable backup before you update.
Will this mac-mini build continue to receive updates indefinitely or will there be a point where this base image won't receive updates?
No, not indefinitely. If you are using Mac Mini 6,1 or 6,2 that is a 2012 Mac mini System Definition. You may not get to update past Catalina unless you change the System Def. and probably get a compatible AMD card too. That's why I said to consider the Yeston AMD RX 550 card as it will have longer term support in macOS than a GT 710 will.

TESTED DONE
Thanks ..

DELL 9010 Optiplex i7 RAM 16 GB
HD BenQ Monitor

you make my dream come true. :thumbup:
still have problem in my vga card Nvidia 2GB 610m

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 12.39.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 12.39.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 12.39.46 PM.png

next To Catalina ..

Hello, I follow this guide with my Optiplex i5 (HD2500 iGPU)and Nvidia GT 730 and everything worked great, with the exception of the headless iGPU. I spent many many hours looking for solution and doing testing with no luck. There was no way to make that even Clover detect my iGPU.

Finally I solved the issue connecting a VGA cable (only the cable) to the iGPU. No monitor just a spare VGA cable connected to the integrated VGA port with nothing connected to the other end. After this Clover immediately detected the iGPU and headless mode started to work.

I post this here in case someone is trying to solve the same issue.

BTW, now I did an inplace upgrade to Catalina, and it worked better that with high sierra (probably because all the traces I left with my intents to solve the iGPU issue). Everything is smooth and nice in case you are hesitant to upgrade to Catalina 10.15.4

Hello, I follow this guide with my Optiplex i5 (HD2500 iGPU)and Nvidia GT 730 and everything worked great, with the exception of the headless iGPU. I spent many many hours looking for solution and doing testing with no luck. There was no way to make that even Clover detect my iGPU.

Finally I solved the issue connecting a VGA cable (only the cable) to the iGPU. No monitor just a spare VGA cable connected to the integrated VGA port with nothing connected to the other end. After this Clover immediately detected the iGPU and headless mode started to work.

I post this here in case someone is trying to solve the same issue.

BTW, now I did an inplace upgrade to Catalina, and it worked better that with high sierra (probably because all the traces I left with my intents to solve the iGPU issue). Everything is smooth and nice in case you are hesitant to upgrade to Catalina 10.15.4
can you tell me the step to do this? I connected the vga cable but nothing is different. thanks

Have you checked if headless mode is working? You will not see anything different, but under the hood macOS will use your iGPU for video coding and decoding tasks. You can check if it is working with Hackingtool or with VDADecoderChecker.

I've searched intensively, No Dell OptiPlex 7010 /9010 Guides contain:
ME_AMT_9010 and/or a A30_AMT.bin.

Dell ME_AMT_7010.zip, has fparts.txt fpt.exe A29.AMT.bin.
9010's will need a A30_AMT.bin not a 7010 A29.

I have a Dell OptiPlex 9010 ME DISABLED 3.
Bios @ A09. I understand first I need to get my Bios to A30 with 09010A30.exe.

Please assist in adding a solution for 9010's ME DISABLED 3 's A30.
The Guides need a How To Make a ME AMT.bin
Link to Download location for Intel FIT Flash Image Tools.

All AMT ME Discussion Links:
High Sierra or Mojave Dell OptiPlex 7010-9010
Page 94 of HS-M 7010-9010 AMT ME all these hoops
VLC and HD 400 video on 7010

Last edited:
Hi folks. I followed this guide and ended up with a great High Sierra Hackintosh. I was able to do all updates until it was time to upgrade to Mojave. That wouldn't install. I waited it out and tried Catalina which worked perfectly. I've been able to update right up to 10.15.5 without problem.
In order to use a wireless bluetooth mouse and keyboard I bought a IOGear Blutooth USB dongle. That works fine ONCE BOOTED but every time I want to restart the Hac I need to plug in a wired USB KB & mouse. So I thought I'd install an internal WiFi/BlueTooth card to smooth that out. I've got a MacBook Pro BCM943602CS card with three antenna connectors so bought a "BCM943224PCIEBT2/BCM94360CS2/BCM943602CS WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 Card to PCI-E x1 Adapter for PC/Hackintosh" https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07NRYGZ7Q/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20 for a good price and it arrived in about two days.Getting the miniature coax cable attached was very difficult and took me an hour. Once installed into the Optiplex, a red indicator light on the card lights but the Dell won't power up at all. There is a second LED indicator that doesn't light. I'm guessing if everything worked properly it might me green! The diagnostic switch on the PSU won't light its green indicator. Once I pull the card back out that lights up green and the box boots again. I've returned the card. Should I buy another the same? IE: was it a faulty card or is that card just not compatible?
Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks,
- Scott

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

This is my first attempt at a hack. I followed this guide for the most part and here's the run down:

- I was given a Dell Optiplex 7010 w/ i7 3770 HD 4000 but no hard drive
- picked up Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA drive
- Skipped the A29 bios upgrade because I didn't have windows/couldn't get it to work
- Continued the hack thinking I had the HD 4000 graphics card
- Got High Sierra installed but dual monitor ability wasn't working. As in only one monitor recognized by OS but desktop was mirrored on both displays
- Realized I have a PCIe video card, Amd Radeon HD6450 1GB PCIe, tried different kexts but didn't help
- Figured the dual monitor wasn't working because of the lack of A29 BIOS update
- Decided to try and add a partition and use boot camp to run windows and complete the A29 update
- It failed at some point and when I went to reboot to High Sierra Clover boot manager no longer recognizes any hard drive
- Tried reformatting on my MacBook Pro High Sierra using external USB doc
- MacBook can recognize the drive, I've erased in multiple ways but there is still ~1GB purgable showing in drive info
- Even after erasing the Dell still won't recognize the drive

Can anyone help with an idea of what I can do to get this fixed?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
Skipped the A29 bios upgrade because I didn't have windows/couldn't get it to work
If you don't update the BIOS anything else you try won't work or only work partially.
Watch this video starting at the 4:40 Timestamp. Can be done on any PC running Windows.

If you don't update the BIOS anything else you try won't work or only work partially.
Watch this video starting at the 4:40 Timestamp. Can be done on any PC running Windows.

The only other computer I have is my MacBook Pro. I saw this option on my initial attempt and tried to do that using Wine/Winebottler on my MacBook but the Dell program wouldn't recognize my USB flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back